PDA

View Full Version : KathyT

Kathy T
11-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Do bone tumor flares cause pain and/or an increase in tumor markers?
Kathy T

tricia keegan
11-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Kathy, I'm sorry I can't help but will bump this up so maybe someone else will see it who can.
I think tumour marker's can rise with bone mets but not in everyone so really not a reliable source without more testing.

Midwest Alice
11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Hey Kathy, What are bone flares?

Kathy T
11-20-2009, 07:51 AM
I am in the TDM-1 trial and will have another drug added with disease progression. The bone scan reads mild progression of skeletal metastases or flare phenomenon in response to systemic therapy; The study oncologist is thinking it is the flare phenomenon rather than disease progression and is not adding the other drug at this time. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this with bone scans and if tumor markers were also affected.
Kathy T

Laurel
11-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Hmm, never heard of this, Kathy. Responding to keep this thread alive so someone smarter than me can reply to your question. Wishing you all the best.

hutchibk
11-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Kathy - I don't know anything about flares, but I haven't had pain from bone mets, and I have had slight increases in them cause my TMs to rise... and then when we have radiated them my TMs have dropped.