PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin without Chemo???

Mariam
11-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Hello,
I feel that I'm losing my mind. There have been differing opinions regarding my treatment with Herceptin. I wondered if anyone has experience or thoughts to help.

I'm 44, at 32 I had breast cancer (infiltrating ductal carcinoma)one lymph node positive- lumpectomy, chemo, and radiation. ER positive negated 5 years of Tamoxifen, 5 years Lupron/Zoladez injections with Arimidex pills.

Recurrence seen by mammogram this August. I had a masectomy. The tumor size is small .6mm but now HER 2 positive. Two cancers now infiltrating and insitu ductal carcinoma (They did not have HER2 testing previously) Oncologist wants to treat with hormone and Herceptin without chemo. HAS ANYONE had Herceptin treatment without chemo? Another oncologist indicated that it wasn't as effective. PLEASE HELP.
Mariam

BonnieR
11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
It has been done. That was an option I was offered at one point. But in researching further it seemed a big grey area and we chose to do the full deal. All the experts I spoke with recommended the chemo in conjunction with Herceptin. What is your doctor's reasoning?
ETA: Keep the faith

Barbara H.
11-17-2009, 08:28 PM
I would get a second opinion. There are many possible combinations. Sometimes patients just receive Herceptin with Taxol.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

Chelee
11-17-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm with Barbara on this one...get another opinion. I just had a recurrence and the two 2nd opinions I had wanted to add Navelbine or Taxotere to the Herceptin.

I highly suggest you take the time to go see one more onc...and one that specializes in breast cancer and is up on Her2 cancer. Your doing a great job already by checking it out here. :) Hang in there and keep us updated on what you find out.

Chelee