PDA

View Full Version : hip problems evaluated

Midwest Alice
11-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Tue. I will have a work up on my hips. I went to my back Dr. because of pain and have worked with PT's twice a week for about 8 weeks. I have had improvement on my back pain and we have found the problem to be in my hips. I have zero interior rotation and that is not improving. My exterior is half of normal and has improved. I can walk and stand just fine. More problems standing after I set down and trouble reaching my toes. I excerise daily.

Chelee, I am so sorry that you are having to deal with the hip problem righ in the middle of treatment. I read your post and pray for you. I am thankful to you for sharing your story.

So I guest this is a good time to look at hip replacements if I am close to the point of needing it. I will have exrays on Tue. The PT's don't say I need replacements just that we need to see how much deteration is there. This Dr. will do xrays then I think he will send me to another Dr. I will also talk to my onc.

My PET from OCT - Degenerative change of the bony structures, especially in the spine and both hips with bony remodeling sclerosis and spur formations.

Midwest Alice
11-14-2009, 01:02 PM
I am getting the MRI and PET reports off line to take to my Dr. on Tue. My medical history now has Osteoarthritis and degenerative joint disease.

Does chemo make these diseases progress quicker?

I am going to get a record of my medial information so I can carry it from Dr to Dr. I know they down load scans to CDs.
Any other ideas of what I need to ask for?

Thanks,

tricia keegan
11-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Alice, cant help with advice but sorry you're having these issue's with pain. My FIL also had a hip replacement recently and is doing well:)

Chelee
11-15-2009, 01:04 AM
Alice, I see you had a PET/CT last yr & you have a question mark on hips/pelvis? Did it show some activity in the hip & pelvis area? I only ask because my baseline PET/CT showed slight activity and it was recommended they follow-up with MRI to rule out metastasis. (However they never did because they said it lit up due to my scoliosis.) Now looking back I had mets to hips from day one. I wish I would of forced them back then to MRI both hips and I would not be in this situation right now.

So I am glad to see you having your hips checked out now...I would push for MRI of hips & pelvis just to be on the safe side...and for peace of mind. Especially if your having pain in your hips. I had pain in both mine before being dx with bc...but neuro doc told me it was bursitis. But now I wonder it if was mets all this time verses bursitis? I know you mentioned having scoliosis also...so it just might be a degenerative problem after all these yrs. Opps...I just re-read your other post & I see your getting your MRI and PET reports off line to take to doctors. So you already had a MRI. Is that MRI of hips recent? I'm glad to see your looking into this and staying on top of it...very good idea. What kind of work-up does these doctors have planned for you besides just a x-ray? Have they told you the plan yet? I hope they can get to the bottom of your pain and correct it.

Chelee

Sheila
11-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Alice
Are you on anything other than Zometa and Herceptin? Can they do the hip surgery if you are on Zometa, or do you need to be off it awhile...maybe thats another drug I am thinking of....
Have they already scheduled your hip surgery? I see in your bio you said the 18th, and I am thinking thats next week!
Please keep us informed on the plans......sending a big hug and lots of prayers.

Midwest Alice
11-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey Everybody, I have been gone for a few days. The city wants to close the firehouse that is the first responder to the university where both my children go and live. I have been to city counsel meeting and on the phone.... still more work to do.

I had my Dr. appt. today. I have "moderate" arthritis in my hips. I will have a injection in the right joint in Dec. and the left joint in Jan. I will see the Dr. again in Feb. to evulate. I will/do need hip replacements. I think this summer would work when we are out of school. I don't know.. I will request my MRI from MDA.

I see my onc in Dec. and will see what he thinks about hip replacements also about a MRI of my hips. I know I will have to have one before the replacement.

Sheila, I had my last Zometa in April. He said I am doing and well don't need it any more.

Chelee, I too need to look in to a MRI of my hips. Good point on that 10/08 PET scan showing ? on hips.My Oct. PET didn't show anything and my back MRI was fine too.

I hope this finds you well and full of hope.

Mgarr
11-19-2009, 06:53 PM
I had a total hip replacement approx. 8 months after chemo age of 4,1 also some knee issues & out patient surgery. My orthopedic drs. said they see many women who need joint replacements that have had chemo. Just my non-scientific 2 cents worth.

Best of luck.

Mary

Midwest Alice
11-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks Mary, How are you doing with your hip replacement?

swimangel72
11-21-2009, 08:50 AM
My right hip has been giving me problems for the past 8 years or so, ever since I fell skiing. It has gotten steadily worse every year - especially after getting chemo. The pain doesn't occur every day - only about twice or three times a month when, for no special reason, perhaps for sitting incorrectly, I'll stand up and my hip "gives out" and I walk with a limp for hours. It's difficult then to even sit down to use the bathroom. And recently , the pain doesn't go away even when I sleep (the way it used to)........it's so bad, I have to ask my DH to lift up my leg to put it into the bed for me. Then suddenly, again for no special reason, on the second day, after many hours, my hip will suddenly be fine! My PCP sent me to an orthopedic who took an x-ray, then an MRI and said I have "mild arthritis in both hips" (so why doesn't my left hip give-out) and also some inflammation and a tiny bit of fluid in the right hip. He ordered a shot of cortisone for the right hip which I had done 2 weeks ago. A week after the shot, my right hip went out on me again - but it didn't last as long. I'm waiting to see if the cortisone "cured" this problem - the radiologist said in 50% of the cases it doesn't help because the problem could be more with "structural problems", whatever that means. I do have some spinal stenosis in the lumbar region of my back - and one small herniated disc, but never have back pain at all (no doubt thanks to years of swimming). The orthopedic doctor said my back issues had nothing to do with my hip problem - he also said physical therapy wouldn't help, only the cortisone shot. He also said I wouldn't need hip replacement since there is very little damage. Time will tell if he's right!

Alice I hope you're feeling OK - will you be getting cortisone shots in both hips then? And I hear you about the firehouse closing issue and your children in college - keep on fighting! Gosh as if you don't have enough to worry about - but both my girls are a 6 hour drive away at college and I spend hours online with them. When my kids are safe and happy, I'm happy no matter how my body feels!

Have a lovely weekend everyone!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=64&pictureid=119

Mgarr
12-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Alice,

Sorry it took forever to answer I am not on the boards too often anymore. Anyhoo, I did very well w/ the hip surgery and the replacement I was back to doing all regular activities relatively quickly.

Happy Holidays.

Mary

Midwest Alice
12-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey Kathy, I will get cortisone shots in both hips. Right Dec. ; Jan. left. My back and legs are having to work over time to make up for the bad hips. It would be nice if the shot would fix things.

Midwest Alice
12-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks Mary, glad to know replacement hip worked for you. I live alone. How much help did you need after surgery? For how many days?

ElaineM
12-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Good luck with your hips. I am a veteran of a hip replacement as a result of an accident. I had physical therapy after the surgery. I was able to cook and do basic things, but I needed help carrying the laundry down to the laundry room and washing the floor for awhile after the surgery. A friend helped with those things. The doctor got me a bench, so I could sit down in the shower and I used a walker. I continued my regular treatment during my recovery from the hip surgery without any problems.

Jackie07
12-06-2009, 10:28 PM
My Father-in-law had to have a 2nd surgery on the same hip because he was too stubborn to use the walker/cane. Please do what the doctor instruct you and be patient. Will be thinking of you.