PDA

View Full Version : MRI Inconclusive

tricia keegan
11-13-2009, 06:46 PM
I was out all day but my Dr left a message to say the mri result was not clear and inconclusive

He now wants to arrange a pet scan, the waiting and stress is driving me crazy!!!

I understood MRI's are best at showing mets, arthritis etc....does anyone know why something would not show up on this?

I don't know if this is bad news or good but would welcome any thoughts:)

Tricia xx

ammebarb
11-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Tricia. I am so sorry you have the stress of waiting for another scan. I don't have any experience with MRI, so I don't have any insight about why it would be inconclusive, but wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and hope that you are able to schedule the required PET very soon.

Barb A.

Sherryg683
11-13-2009, 07:36 PM
I know MRI's are the best to detect for brain mets, but i've always had PET/CTS to check body...sherry

tricia keegan
11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks Sherry and Barb, I live in hope until I hear otherwise!!!

Btw, has anyone else had to log in the past couple of days to post a message or reply?
Not sure if it's my computer but I keep getting logged out each time I leave the site?

sassy
11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey Tricia,

So sorry you are having this stressful time.

I've had to log in the last few days too.

ElaineM
11-13-2009, 09:49 PM
If something is not conclusive another test should be done to try to get a definite answer. MRIs and PETs show and diagnose things in different ways. I guess it is better to be safe and get a definite diagnosis than sorry later.

Pam P
11-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Tricia - I'm sorry you have to WAIT for better answers. Like Elaine said it's best to have another test to clarify. I thought MRI was the most articulate of the scans but a PET/CT must be able to show different data with different technology that will be useful. Let the good news of inconclusive help to stay relaxed as you wait for the other scan. Pam

Joan M
11-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Tricia,

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with the uncertainty of an inconclusive MRI and to wait for a PET/CT. I'm praying that since the MRI was inconclusive, there's a chance that the PET/CT will show nothing of significance.

An MRI shows morphology, and a radiologist reading the scan can describe the area in question. A PET/CT shows metabolic activity, which is greater for cancer cells. In general, an area that lights up when the standard uptake value of the radioactive tracer is 3.0 or greater is suspicious for cancer. However, there are other reasons that can cause the SUV to be at least 3.0. For example, the spot in my lung was higher than SUV 6.0, but the results of my latest lung surgery showed a fungal infection, not cancer. Tuberculosis can also light up on PET/CT, and there are probably other circumstances, too.

Sending you hugs,

Joan

tricia keegan
11-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks for replying everyone and thanks Joan for the explanation.

Hopefully after the pet I'll have some definate answer's, as we all know these waiting mind games are the worst:(

alicem
11-14-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm so sorry that this is dragging out for you. I hope that you get some answers soon. When is your PET scheduled?

tricia keegan
11-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Alice, the Dr just called Friday and said we'd arrange it next week.

Sheila
11-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Tricia
I hope next week gets here fast, i know how hard the waiting can be...I am sure they are just being extra careful to make sure this is nothing....you are in my prayers that you will get a perfect report! Stay strong....
by the way, how was the MRI...see you did just fine and you were so worried!

tricia keegan
11-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks Sheila, I just kept my eyes closed the whole time until I came out again lol...now I'm worrying about the pet !!

Chelee
11-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Tricia, How stressful to get thru the MRI only to have to wait again for a PET scan. That waiting is so hard. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts & prayers for a clean report. Hang in there.

Chelee

schoolteacher
11-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Tricia,

Sorry to hear about the MRI. Let us know what happens with the PET scan.

Amelia

Shobha
11-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Tricia,

Sending prayers for you to be NED and find out soon so that you can be at peace!

hugs,
shobha