PDA

View Full Version : Neuropathy-information please

Ellie F
11-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Hi all
Since completing taxotere I have had numbness in my toes on both feet but thankfully no pain. It is worse in my big toes but I am aware of it in the others. My onc says this is a side effect and may or may not improve.
I would be grateful to hear any information as whether it will improve and if so approximately how long it will take?

Many thanks
Ellie

Midwest Alice
11-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Hey Ellie, I had neuropathy and we changed to a different taxo after fourth treatment. Mine did go away after months. I only had it in my feet also. Hugs, Alice

freyja
11-13-2009, 09:00 AM
The supplement L-Glutamine is good for that.

BonnieR
11-13-2009, 05:03 PM
My onc recommended I try Glutamine concoction during chemo. I did have a fair amout of neuropathy in my feet. Not sure if the glutamine helped or not but the symptoms have gone away gradually over time anyhow.
Keep the faith.

lkc Gumby
11-13-2009, 06:27 PM
B Complex helped me tremendously. I was doubtful when my onc rec it.I still take It!.

Laurel
11-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Ellie,

I had neuropathy in my feet, and to a lesser degree , in my fingers. After about 9 months it seemed to abate. I still have stiffness in my feet and hands, but that seems to be different from the neuropathy, and associated with the A.I. I am taking. Hang in there, hopefully yours will abate over time, too.

Chelee
11-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Ellie, The Taxotere did a number on both of my big toes. Both my big toe nails turned black and eventually fell off in time. Same thing for my two thumb nails. I also had some neuropathy in both feet for quite a while. Numbness in the bottoms of all my toes and feet. But slowly over time disappeared & got back to normal. It just takes time...another wonderful side of Taxotere...but this too should pass in the near future. Hang in there.

Chelee

tricia keegan
11-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Ellie, I had it in my hands rather than my feet but it did go away itself without meds some months after chemo.

Susan
11-14-2009, 06:53 PM
I've been having terrible foot pain and thumb pain for about 6 months now. I switched from arimidex to aromasin hoping that would help, but it didn't change. I've been doing glucosimine too and I am an avid walker, and I've been miserable. It feels like my feet are on fire and they are sensitive to touch. I go in a couple of weeks to have a test to see if it is neuropathy. I don't know if it is neuropathy what they can do about it, but I guess I'll find out soon.

Catherine
11-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi Ellie,

I had foot and toe neropathy once I started Taxol. At the end of my Taxol, it very, very slowly went away. I did not take any drugs for it. One time during Taxol, my legs really hurt and I could not walk without pain. I tolerated the cytoxin and adrymiacin much better than the 4 rounds of Taxol. 3 years after chemo, I am fine.

Catherine

Ruth
11-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Ellie ~
I had Taxol like Catherine and suffered from numbness in hands, toes and feet. I didn't want to complain to my Onc. because I thought he would cut my dosage...which in hindsight is not the smartest thing to do ;-). However, I did feel much better about 6 months after I was finished with Taxol. I was very heavy into juicing and getting my vitamins through foods. I have heard that Glutamine helps a lot of people. I did take pain pills whenever it hurt to walk (usually when the weather was really cold). Now I don't notice any problems at all.
Hugs ~ Ruth