PDA

View Full Version : Post taxotere blood results-advice please

Ellie F
11-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I finished 6 rounds of taxotere with herceptin 3 months ago. I had neulasta after each round and now am on 3 weekly herceptin.
Went for my herceptin today and the nurse said my white blood cell count was 2.3 and my platelets were 136. Both of these are low but she said as it's not a chemo I could have the herceptin.
Has anyone any info on how long it takes for your blood to return to normal? I remember my onc saying taxotere was hard on platelets but didn't mention white cells. My red cell count has recovered and is in the normal range though this was low and I just avoided a transfusion.

Also had joint aches and pains though my scan is normaland wonder if this is due to herceptin or the blood!
I thought my knowledgeable her 2 sisters may have some info/advice

Thanks
Ellie

ElaineM
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Please check he recent discussion on the nutrition forum about this topic for help and suggestions.
Take care.

Chelee
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi Ellie, It's been a while since I did TCH but I do know it took a while for my counts to totally rebound to normal. I'm going to say about 5 or 6 months after finishing my last TC. (The herceptin did not seem to affect my counts at all.) But that Taxotere is really rough on the body but it's worth it because it does a good job at kicking cancers butt.

I'm just guessing here but I would say give your body another two months or a touch more and you will see your labs back to normal. As to the joint aches and pains I think you will find those will slowly but surely improve too in time. I know my aches and pains did not disappear overnight as I had hoped. (I can't remember if your on an AI or not?) If you are that can contribute to aches & pains. Everyones body is different and I've never had any aches I can blame on Herceptin...but that being said I've seen other women here complain of hip and knee pain from the Herceptin. I'm sure some more Her2 sisters will chime in soon. :) But hang in there...I say two more months tops and your labs will be back to normal.

Chelee

lkc Gumby
11-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Ellie, It took me awhile to bounce back too.; count wise.Had lots of bone and joint pain. Gradually it got better.

Laurel
11-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Ellie,

I does take upwards to a year to recover from the chemo, and the Herceptin can depress counts, too, though not as aggressively as chemo. I suggest a B-complex vitamin daily, but work to find one with only 200mcg of folic acid. There is a relationship between elevated folic acid intake, 400mcg and above, being adverse for cancer. Much of our diet is fortified with folic acid,so it is easy to get too much. Also, iron intake is adverse for cancer patients so do not supplement without determining if you are indeed iron deficient.

Good luck, Ellie, you will eventually begin to feel like your old self. Now if I could just get my nails to strengthen and stop breaking!

http://search.creativecommons.org/?q=folic+acid+and+cancer&sourceid=Mozilla-search

margiermc
11-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi, you touched home with this subject. I was always low white count with Tax. had to receive the shots, after every round of
this chemo. Bone ache, pain, etc., and my scans were normal.
My aches went away in time. My count went up as soon as I was off chemo. Herceptin does not seem to interupt blood count, for me.
It took a couple of weeks after chemo, and I was back to normal.
Everyone is different, this is just my personal story, but, it does come back to normal in time. Keep away from anyone that is sick, good hand washing, avoid fresh fruit and veg. This is my own experience, of course ask your doctor. My worst experience was being hosp. with neutrapenia and in quarantine. Around the holidays, no fun -- on with a new good year.

Margie visit www.caringbridge.org/visit/margierose (http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/margierose)

dcis 8/08
lump 9/08
liver met 10/08
ned 1/23/09
vaccine 6/09-11/09

Blood work, normal
Scans normal -

WolverineFan
11-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm so glad this question was asked. While on chemo, I had the Neulasta shots and had great results with my wbc. My rbc was another story. My hemoglobin dropped low enough twice to require transfusions. I completed chemo five weeks ago yesterday, and my hemoglobin has dropped slightly again, since having the Herceptin two weeks ago. I was happy to learn that my platelets, which two weeks ago were at a low of 76 (and I still received the Herceptin) jumped to 237. Thanks for sharing everyone. I was concerned that my hemoglobin was dropping again.

harrie
11-12-2009, 12:37 AM
My WBC dropped very low from my very first tx of taxotere. Routinely got the neupogen shots. I don't believe it took very long after the last (6th) tx of taxotere for it to get back to normal.
Could the joint pain be from the shots to up the WBC? It is not uncommon to get discomfort from the Neupogen. I got it once and Advil took care of it nicely.

Wolverine Fan: I REALLY love your family pic!!! Such a beautiful family!!!

Maryanne

jhandley
11-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Reishi mushroom extract will help your wbc reutrn to normal.
Worked for me!
Jackie (down under)

Ellie F
11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. I think it's easy to forget that even 'kinder' drugs like herceptin still take their toll. Roll on the day when we have drugs that just target the bad cells and leave the good ones alone
Ellie