PDA

View Full Version : The virus you wanna get...(I guess measles is good too).

Rich66
11-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Cancer trials cause excitement
Posted By CATHY DOBSON, THE OBSERVER
http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2168478

11/10/09
Excitement is growing among Canadian scientists that certain viruses might be used to shrink or even destroy cancer cells, a leading authority in cancer research told a Sarnia audience Monday.
"We're seeing dramatic results. This is one of those times to stay tuned, folks. We're really, really excited," said Michael Wosnick, vice-president of research with the Canadian Cancer Society and scientific director of the newly-established Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute.
Dalhousie Medical School researcher Patrick Lee earlier this year used a common virus to kill breast cancer stem cells. (I think it's Reovirus)
Previous trials using mice showed astonishing results, with a benign virus causing lung tumours to disappear in weeks. This year, clinical trials started on people and the results so far have been dramatic, Wosnick said.
"This is a place where Canada has been a world leader," he said. "Canada excels at clinical trials and a number of researchers across the country are now involved in oncolytic viruses that literally burst open cancer cells."
Numerous strains of viruses are being tested on various tumours, he said.
But it's too early to know if the viruses provide longterm cures or if there are significant side effects, he added.
Speaking at a volunteer and donor appreciation event for the Canadian Cancer Society's Lambton County Unit, Wosnick showed before-and-after slides of mouse tumours and a human tumour taken during the trials.
In both cases, the cancers disappeared in a few weeks and did not attack healthy cells. ......

caya
11-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Hurray for the Canadians!!

(could not resist on this one, being a proud Canuck)

off to Florida for 10 days with DH, so you may not see too much of me on the board.

all the best
caya

Laurel
11-11-2009, 06:35 PM
'Nucks rule!!!!! Keep going Canada!

Rich66
11-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Yeah...let's skip the pro sports nonsense and get a little cancer research rivalry goin'. I wanna see it in HD.