PDA

View Full Version : Low white counts, what can be done nutrionally?

whatz
11-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi,
Just a question...what would you recommend for nutrition for low white counts for somebody still in chemo treatment?
Thanks.
Anja

ElaineM
11-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't know what Tanya thinks, but fruits, vegetables and mushrooms (especially the Asian ones like shitake etc.) are good for the immune system and the white blood counts.
I never took shots during treatment. I never had to skip treatments because of low white blood counts. I never needed a transfusion during treatments.
I ate alot of fruit, vegetables and mushrooms. I also took supplements with the Asian mushrooms, Astragalus and Echincea. I took liquid iron for the red blood counts. I never needed shots, transfusions, or had to skip my treatment for low red blood counts either. I worked with a naturopathic physician the whole time. I still see him every 6 weeks.

yankeebikachic
11-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I used mushroom supplements and it seemed to help.
Beth

TanyaRD
11-09-2009, 06:54 AM
I agree that a well balanced diet is the best defense. Just a word of caution that if your white blood cells get too low (neutropenia) you may be advised to avoid raw fruits and vegetables until your WBCs have increased to a safe level again. I don't see this very often anymore but it is a possibility. I worked with a Chinese Herbalist/acupuncturist who would use a mushroom blend because of the immune properties. We have had patients take the blend through chemo but you should always check with your med-onc.

whatz
11-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks everybody!

ElaineM
11-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Because of nutritional help my blood counts never got low enough to worry about. I also took supplements with mushrooms and the other things I mentioned in my first post on this subject. I ate raw fruits and vegetables, especially in salads and I still do a fair amount of juicing. I take probiotics. Maybe that has an impact on how my body digests food. I don't know. My oncologist does not know anything about nutrition, so I can't ask him, but my naturopathic physician has been a big help. I also learned alot about nutrition from other medicial professionals, including dieticians. I probably eat healthier now than before I got cancer.

TanyaRD
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
As you probably well know, probiotics are being thoroughly studied for many immune supportive properties and even cancer preventative properties. It is excellent that you have improved your eating habits after being diagnosed. Maintaining such will be one of your most important "prescriptions" after treatment is complete.