PDA

View Full Version : Follow up guidelines...

RhondaH
11-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I was dx 2/1/05 and will be 5 years at 2/1/10, I still see my surgeon every year (last saw him 6/09 and have an appointment 6/10), my rad onc every year (see him tomorrow 11/09) and my onc w/ bloodwork every year (see him 12/09). While I LOVE all the attention, the cost is getting to be a bit much. When do the appointments start to taper off? Thank you.

tricia keegan
11-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Rhonda, I just see my med onc once a year, surgeon once a year for mammo results and haven't seen my rad onc since a year after diagnosis when he agreed to allow my med onc to take over.
I think I remember hearing after five years it becomes less and less but am a few months behind you so not sure.

Ruth
11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Rhonda ~
I am a little further out so here is what has happened with me. I was released by my surgeon at 5 year mark, never went back to rad. doc because my Onc. was seeing me for a time every week after radiation until Herceptin was done and then I was seeing Onc. every 3 months. I'm surprised you are still seeing him! I will see my Onc. for a much longer time...he won't give me release date :0...although my stats make him want to keep a good eye on me. I'll see him once a year forever.
I think you should see gyno and Onc. once a year....split them 6 months apart at the very least!
Hugs ~ Ruth
Oh yeah I forgot about the PS...I'll see him once a year too.

Jean
11-03-2009, 05:50 AM
Rhonda,
This is an interesting question.

After my last rad treatment I saw my rad doctor for a follow up visit.....and have not seen him since.

Surgeon, first year after surgery saw him three times.
2nd year saw him once.
3yr. saw him once and have not seen him since that last visit.

Onc. Now he is the dr. I spend my most visits with.
After trt. the first year every 3 months.
2nd year to present I still see him every 4 months.
He said I could now go 6 months but I said no and want to remain on the 4 month schedule.

I have digetal mamogram every 6 months and alternate with Breast MRI every 6 months.

Best Wishes,
Jean

Brenda_D
11-03-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm with you on the cost thing.
I quit seeing my surgeon after the staples were removed. I quit seeing my rad onc a year after finishing rads. I was seeing my old onc every 6 months, but my new one wants to see me every 3 months. I see my GP once a year if I can get away with it.

Montana
11-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Rhonda,

I "voluntarily" quit seeing my onc in June 08. I'm now 5 years out and doing well. He was a great onc but ordered an MRI when I'd had a headache for a couple of days! Then I had all the anxiety, etc. It was time for me at 3 and 1/2 years to stop.

Becky
11-03-2009, 09:25 AM
I used to see so many as well until I changed Rad Oncs and he told me I should have a professional breast exam twice a year (I have both of my breasts). He said he did not have to be one of the examiners but I could use him. (Prior to him, my other rad onc (who drove me nuts anyway) wanted to see me every 6 months).

Since I get Zometa every 6 months, I will be seeing my medical onc until that changes so there's 2 exams and visits right there.

After 2 years, I have not seen my breast surgeon. She didn't want to see me unless something came up.

I see my gyn once a year and get a yearly physical so I got 4 exams in there period and I try to spread them out a bit. Enough so that I put my yearly physical off from Dec to Feb to not have so many exams at once.

Mary Jo
11-03-2009, 09:42 AM
This summer I saw my rad. onc. for the last time. I asked to be released and he agreed. My surgeon I only saw at the beginning - maybe a few times the first year. She gave me the option of continuing to see her and my regular onc. - alternating between the two or only seeing my regular onc. I chose just seeing my regular onc. as I didn't feel there really was any reason to see her also.

My regular onc. told me at my last visit that I would probably be released at 5 years. Then after looking over my chart said...."well, we could go 5 years from when herceptin ended." I will be at my 5 year mark from diagnosis in June of 10. I will be at my 5 year mark from when herceptin ended in Oct. 2011. I think I will continue until then. For now he sees me every 6 months and I also have blood work.

Mary Jo

harrie
11-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Mary Jo, do you still see your plastic surgeon?

Also, question for anyone, what is the purpose of seeing the surgical oncologist if you are seeing the primary oncologist?

Maryanne

Mary Jo
11-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Yes, I just saw him about a month ago...following my revision surgery....I now won't see him for 6 months. I'm not sure the protocol for those guys but can't imagine why I'd go back after the next 6 month check up. What about you?

Mary Jo

harrie
11-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Mary Jo, after the followup from the revision surgery, my plastic surgeon saw me once and then said just said to just drop on by if I happen to be in the neighborhood. I dropped by once and then never did after that. I feel a little funny because i never did get the FINAL procedure which would be the tattoo. Did you get the tattoo?
And how are your breasts looking now that they are settled in? For me, one breast is like 1 cm lower then the other with no bra. How symetrical are yours? My dr said he could fix that, but I think most women with natural breasts have one that is lower then the other. Don't you think so too?
Maryanne

Brenda_D
11-05-2009, 01:41 AM
My SIL was dx'ed with IDC about 10 years ago, and she saw her medical Onc once a year for a scan. Good thing, because they found DCIS in the other breast 2 years ago.