PDA

View Full Version : probiotic(BP) inhibits her2 and her3 in colon cancer, bc cell lines

Lani
10-31-2009, 04:15 AM
Int J Cancer. 2009 Oct 28. [Epub ahead of print]
The anti-cancer effect of probiotic Bacillus polyfermenticus on human colon cancer cells is mediated through ErbB2 and ErbB3 inhibition.
Ma EL, Choi YJ, Choi J, Pothoulakis C, Rhee SH, Im E.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center, Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
A wealth of data implicates that ErbB receptors have essential roles in tumor development. Probiotic bacteria are known to exert an anti-cancer activity in animal studies. Bacillus polyfermenticus (B.P.), a probiotic bacterium, has been clinically used for a variety of gastrointestinal disorders in East Asia. Here we investigated the effect of B.P. on the growth of tumors and its putative mechanism of actions. Conditioned medium of B.P. cultures (B.P. CM) inhibited the growth of human colon cancer cells including HT-29, DLD-1 and Caco-2 cells. Moreover, B.P. CM suppressed colony formation of HT-29 cells cultured on soft agar and reduced carcinogen-induced colony formation of normal colonocytes. Furthermore, data from the mouse xenograft model of human colon cancer cells showed reduced tumor size in B.P. CM-injected mice when compared to E.coli conditioned medium-injected mice. Exposure of B.P. CM to HT-29 cells for 24 h, 48 h and 2 weeks reduced ErbB2 and ErbB3 protein expression as well as mRNA levels. Moreover, cyclin D1 expression which is required for ErbB-dependent cell transformation was decreased by B.P. CM. Furthermore, transcription factor E2F-1 which regulates cyclin D1 expression was also decreased by B.P. CM. These results show that B.P. inhibits tumor growth and its anti-cancer activity occurs, at least in part, through suppressing ErbB2 and ErbB3. Taken together, our study suggests that this probiotic may be clinically used as a prophylactic treatment to prevent colon cancer development. (c) 2009 UICC.

PMID: 19876926

Ellie F
10-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Hi Lani
Thanks once again for posting this interesting research.
I know that a number of naturopaths believe that 'gut' health is strongly related to well being and recommend supplements. On checking it seems this particular strain is hard to find in any supplements and I wondered if you knew how to obtain it from dietary sources?
Thanks Ellie

Lani
10-31-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't think I would seek it out based on this article. In fact, I just found another which would make me put the brakes on this--if what is true in colon cancer cells is also true in breast cancer cells, it would facilitate rather than inhibit breast cancer survival/growth/spread:

Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol (September 3, 2009). Submitted on June 1, 2009
Revised on August 31, 2009
Accepted on September 1, 2009
The angiogenic effect of probiotic Bacillus polyfermenticus on human intestinal microvascular endothelial cells is mediated by IL-8

Eunok Im1*, Yoon Jeong Choi, Cho Hee Kim, Claudio Fiocchi2, Charalabos Pothoulakis3, and Sang Hoon Rhee4
1 UCLA
2 Cleveland Clinic Foundation
3 David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
4 David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA
* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: eim@mednet.ucla.edu.

Angiogenesis is required for wound healing and repair, but dysregulated angiogenesis is involved in gastrointestinal inflammation. Bacillus polyfermenticus (B.P.) is a probiotic bacterium clinically used for a variety of intestinal disorders in East Asia. Here we investigated the effect of B.P. on angiogenesis of human intestinal microvascular endothelial cells (HIMECs) and wound healing in intestinal mucosa. Exposure of HIMECs to the conditioned medium of B.P. cultures (B.P. CM) increased cell migration, permeability and tube formation. Production of the pro-angiogenic cytokine IL-8 was increased by B.P. CM, and neutralizing antibodies against IL-8 or IL-8 receptor CXCR2 reduced tube formation as well as actin stress fiber formation. B.P. CM also increased NF-B activation, while inhibitors of NF-B suppressed B.P. CM-induced tube formation and IL-8 production. Furthermore, B.P. facilitated recovery of mice from colitis as shown by increased body weight and reduced rectal bleeding and histological severity. B.P. also increased angiogenesis and mouse IL-8 production in the mucosal layer. Collectively, these results show that B.P. increases angiogenesis of HIMECs via a NF-B/IL-8/CXCR2-dependent manner. Moreover, B.P. promotes angiogenesis in the mucosa during recovery of mice from colitis suggesting that this probiotic may be clinically used to facilitate intestinal wound healing.

Ellie F
11-01-2009, 04:44 AM
Flip! We still have so much to learn. Let's hope the prediction of a cure in the foreseeable future holds true!
Ellie

Jackie07
06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Found the article below when I was thinking about sharing my latest experience with probiotics. Thought this thread is a logic place for it. There is a cluster called HNPCC (Hereditory Nonpolyposis Colon Cancer [2nd Brother] that links to breast cancer and brain cancer [me], cancer of the digestive tract, cancer of other reproductive organs, and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma [Mother]. So I'm glad to learn that probiotic will help cut my colon cancer risk.

Rarely had urinary tract infections until the chemotherapy put me into menopause 8 years ago. I was put on Cipro again for UTI last month, and soon after finishing the 10-day course I developed angular (corner of the mouth) cheilitis and weird bowel movements. After eating extra yogurt and Ganoderma Lucidum (a mushroom [powder]), I am happy to report that everything (bowel movement) is back to 'normal'.

Antibiotics - just like chemotherapy - kills bad bacteria as well as the good ones that are essential to maintaining a healthy digestive system. It did not dawn on me until today (or perhaps I'd known it already? - Idelle, please start your special new thread on 'Chemobrain' quickly... :) [OK, I see it - in the Breast Cancer News under 'State of the Research in Chemobrain'] that all the problems I've been experiencing lately was caused by the antibiotics.

Thought perhaps some of our sisters who are undergoing treatment could benefit from the information provided in this abstract:

Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. (http://javascript<b></b>:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr.');) 2011 Mar;51(3):239-47.
Evidence supporting the use of probiotics for the prevention and treatment of chemotherapy-induced intestinal mucositis.

Prisciandaro LD (http://her2support.org/pubmed?term=%22Prisciandaro%20LD%22%5BAuthor%5D), Geier MS (http://her2support.org/pubmed?term=%22Geier%20MS%22%5BAuthor%5D), Butler RN (http://her2support.org/pubmed?term=%22Butler%20RN%22%5BAuthor%5D), Cummins AG (http://her2support.org/pubmed?term=%22Cummins%20AG%22%5BAuthor%5D), Howarth GS (http://her2support.org/pubmed?term=%22Howarth%20GS%22%5BAuthor%5D).
Source

Discipline of Agricultural and Animal Science, School of Agriculture, Food and Wine, University of Adelaide, South Australia. luca.prisciandaro@adelaide.edu.au

Abstract

Although chemotherapy remains the current best practice for the treatment of neoplasia, the severity of its associated side-effects continues to impact detrimentally on the quality of life. Mucositis can affect both the oral cavity and intestine, and represents one of the most common side-effects of chemotherapy. It is characterized by ulceration, inflammation, diarrhoea, and intense abdominal pain.

Despite extensive research there remains no definitive therapy for mucositis. This may be due to the multiple factors which contribute to its pathogenesis, including up-regulation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, increased apoptosis of epithelial cells, alteration of the gastrointestinal microbiota, and damage to the epithelium.

Although employed increasingly in other gastrointestinal disorders, probiotics are yet to be comprehensively investigated in the treatment or prevention of chemotherapy-induced mucositis. Probiotic-based therapies have been shown to exert beneficial effects, including modulation of the microbiota and inhibition of pro-inflammatory cytokines. This review outlines the current evidence supporting the use of probiotics in intestinal mucositis, and suggests further research directions for the future.

PMID:21390944[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

pibikay
06-03-2011, 02:50 AM
Here we get probiotic curd (Yoghurt) and Hema has it instead of normal yoghurt.It certainly lessens the uncomfortable feeling after taking Tykerb,
Thanks Lani for the info

imdavidson
06-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Jackie, I'll repost my summary of the abstract about chemo brain in the Her2 group. Not sure people saw it where it's placed now.

imdavidson
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
On second thought, it really belongs in the news section. I'll leave it there.

Rich66
06-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Angiogenesis is required for wound healing and repair, but dysregulated angiogenesis is involved in gastrointestinal inflammation.

It would be interesting to know how these apparently different forms of angiogenesis influence cancer cells as opposed to mucosal linings etc.

But this from the first abstract suggests PBs have been on the radar for some time: Probiotic bacteria are known to exert an anti-cancer activity in animal studies.