PDA

View Full Version : AI after 5 years

chrislmelb
10-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Hi everyone, i don't visit heaps but always like to get feedback from you all.
I am wondering what the latest trend is regarding AI after being on them for 5 years? I am not there yet but feel quite panicky at the thought of going off them. I look forward to less aches and pains but not the return of cancer. I think i was on Tamoxifen for about 15 months before i switched to Arimidex. Now i am on Femara. I'm about 1 year ahead of myself but interested to hear early!
Thanks
Christine

tricia keegan
10-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi Christine,
I think the jury is still out on this one. I was dx in '05 and am currently having one of those mets scares we all go through.
Assuming my mri is benign I also want to continue the arimidex for more than five years and hate stopping it.
A friend of mine just recently made this decision, and although she had wanted to remain on arimidex, her original dx was dcis and her2- so her onc felt it safe to allow her to stop.
I'll be interested in reading any other comments or replies to your question.

WolverineFan
10-30-2009, 03:25 PM
My onc just put me on Femara this week and told me I need to take it for 5 years. She also said that there are studies currently taking place that are examining the benefits, if any, of staying on it for 10 years. She told me to be prepared because at the end of my five years, she may tell me I need to take it another five years. I am not sure if the recommendation to lengthen the time (if that's what is decided) will come out before you are finished next year, but you might want to visit with your onc about it.

Good luck!

Jean
10-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Ditto....
My onc. also said that it looks like I will remain on AI another 5 yrs.

jean

Barbara2
10-30-2009, 08:15 PM
At the 5 year mark, my onc opted to continue the AI stating that some studies are looking at using the AI for ten years...again, feeling that the benefits were greater than the risks.