PDA

View Full Version : Tykerb rash

Barbara H.
10-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Starting tomorrow I will have been on Tykerb and Herceptin for one week. I take four tablets each day in the morning. For the past few days I have developed a rash on my face, neck, and chest. My nose is all red like I have a cold. It is not acne. It looks more like a rash, except the red dots are slightly larger than a rash. How long does it last?

I have been careful about what I am eating and have not developed diarrhea yet. I also feel fine and am not fatigued.

I apologize for posting here instead of on the Herceptin/Tykerb section, but I feel as if I need some help, and thought that more of you might read it here. I have been putting Aquaphor on and around my nose which helps the dryness.

Thanks,
Barbara H.

Joe
10-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Barb,
Read the following information about Tykerb.

http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/lapitinib.asp

Also, this type of rash is associated with a good response to the drug.

Regards
Joe

bejuce
10-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi Barb,

I was on Tykerb for about 12 weeks and had a rash on my face at some point (week 2?3?). Mine felt and appeared like patches of sunburn. I tried several creams and lotions and the one that really worked for me was one that had been recommended on this board somewhere - it was actually an oil-type moisturizer made by a company named Suki. Their products are all natural and organic and can be found at Whole Foods, where I got mine.

I liked the oil so much that now I use a Suki product on my skin every night.

Good luck!

Marcia (bejuce)

Rich66
10-28-2009, 10:22 PM
"associated with a good response to the drug."
Hey! Sounds good! (to someone not dealing with it)
Dunno much about Tykerb but..Xeloda had an issue where rubbing creams in vigorously could aggravate things. So..might be prudent to be gentle with whatever you put on.

Adriana Mangus
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Barbara:

These two products were prescribed by my onc. I never had to use them, but I understand they are highly effective.

The cream ointment is Clindamycin Phospate Gel 1%
The pills ( for rash ) is Mynocycline (for minocin) HCL 100 mg.

I was on tykerb for a short period of time--it didn't do the trick for me, however I did experience skin rash and also little red bumps on my upper legs and arms.

Wish you the best.

Love,

Adriana

SoCalGal
10-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Welcome to Tykerb. I've been on it (5 pills a day) for 2 1/2 years. The rash was only at the beginning. I did not use anything to get rid of it - it just cleared up in a few days.

Julie2
10-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Barbara,

I got it too in the beginning. I didn't use anything for it and cleared up in few weeks.

Julie

Sandra in GA
10-29-2009, 06:04 PM
I have been on Tykerb almost a year and had a rash on my arms after the first few weeks. It itched so much that I was scratching myself during my sleep and leaving marks that would bleed. I used Benadryl cream on them and that helped a lot. After a couple of weeks that disappeared. Now that I am three weeks from completing my year long course of treatment, I have begun having a rash on my face that will fade after about three days. I have not put anything on my face because there has been no itching with this. I have it now and had it a couple of weeks ago.

I am happy that you have not had diarrhea. That has been a continuous problem for the whole year for me. I have found that a low fiber diet without fresh fruits, veggies, or whole wheat bread is what has helped me the most. I keep Imodium and Lomotil on my person at all times and when the cramps begin, I know to start the medications. I hope you do not develop this.

I look on these side effects as inconveniences that I can tolerate for the benefit of this wonderful drug that I am receiving.

Good luck!

Sandra

Barbara H.
10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
I just want to thank everyone who replied to my message. I knew about the rash and did some research, but was also concerned that it could be an allergic reaction. It doesn't really bother me, except that I teach 5th graders and they wondered if I had a cold. I told them it was allergies, which is true for me at this time of the year. I am also having conferences both this and next week with parents of 27 students before and after school. It's therefore a difficult time for me to start a new treatment. I am grateful that I am not fatigued and that the diarrhea has not appeared.
Thanks again,
Barbara H.

Faith in Him
10-29-2009, 09:42 PM
I never had a rash but it has proven effective for me. I instead have darker skin (could be from Xeloda) and mouth sores.

Sandra in GA
10-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Faith in Him,
What is hyperthermia rads?
Sandra

Faith in Him
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Sandra,

Hyperthermia rads is a way to give you rads for a second time in the same area. You get a lower dosage of rads and then the tech. warms up your skin (using a water bag placed directly on the skin) to make the rads more effective. I think they also do this with chemo.

Sandra in GA
10-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Thank you so much. I had never heard this term until I saw you using it. My radiation onc told me there were ways to give more radiation to a person if needed, but she didn't expain. This must be what she was talking about.
Sandra