PDA

View Full Version : Here's the latest on TriciaK

TriciaK
10-26-2009, 10:13 PM
As many of you know, I have been fighting BC since 1985, starting with cancer in the right breast and suspicious tissue in the left. I underwent a bilateral mastectomy, did fine for 5 years, then it returned in t9 and t10 vertebras in 1990. A variety of treatments including tamoxifen led to a diagnosis 5 years later of "Healed metastatic breast cancer." I went on with my life and career, all but forgetting about BC, until a heart attack in 2004 and a triple bypass. I credit the heart attack with saving my life, for because of it we disovered BC was back, this time her2. Fifteen months on herceptin, including 6 on navelbine, and femara ever since has kept me NED up to 2009. My 6-months checkup and scan this July showed my tumor markers starting to rise again and a nodule was growing. My oncologist suggested monthly marker checks and another scan in 3 months, which was October 14. The good news is that although the markers are still rising, the latest scan showed that the lung nodule looks cancer-free and hasn't grown more. That is really good news and I am grateful!
Since I will turn 80 on December 9, I have a few other health challenges , but I am feeling positive and doctors have suggested some treatments. I had another mild heart attack in January, with pulmonary and heart blood clots. I've just been diagnosed with polymyalgia which causes weakness, pain and dizziness. I will probably have to go on prednisone and maybe start using a wheel chair or scooter. I've also developed gall bladder problems that require immediate surgery. At the moment I can't walk, eat, or see very well but I am hanging in there. I'm thinking I may die of old age at 102, like my Swedish great grandmother! I'm the girl who used to dance 4 nights a week, so I'm not ready to give up yet. I have a wonderful husband and about 75 descendents +4 new great grandbabies due next year I can't wait to meet! I'm teaching a couple of classes and writing another book. Whatever happens it's been a fun ride and knowing you all has been very special. Thank you for your love and prayers and support. I hold you all in my heart and I have special appreciation to Joe and Christine for all they have done for us. God bless each of you! Love, prayers and hugs, TriciaK

TSund
10-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Tricia,

Such a special soul you are. I've been keeping track of you since the 1st day I was on this board. (Maybe it's my Swedish roots!)
I wish you the very, very best.

Hugs

Terri

Rich66
10-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Wow! Did the scan pick up the great attitude? ;)

Pam P
10-27-2009, 03:44 AM
Tricia - You are a beautiful woman. Have a joyous 80th birthday party, squeeze those grandbabies when they are born. Thank you for all the encouragement and support over the years and are such an inspiration. Pam

Mary Anne in TX
10-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Right, Rich....bet that scan missed a lot of other wonderful things besides that terrific attitude. Tricia, I wish I could "snap" those problems away for you. I just smile thinking of your 4 nights of dancing! Maybe that is the secret to a great life...exercise with joy and laughter! Tricia, you are one of the bestest medicines on this site and I am so grateful that I get to know you! Good luck on that gall bladder surgery and all the other "little things" that need adjustment! Love and prayers for you always, ma

nitewind
10-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Hi Tricia, you are one of my very favorite people! I just can't get over the wonderful attitude that you have, I pray that God blesses you with another 22 years, 102 is a lovely number. We share the same birthday so let's see.....when you are 102, I will be 80, that's a lovely number as well.
You are one beautiful, classy lady and I'm proud to be your birthday buddy.
I always have you in my prayers and I will certainly double up on them, with all this new information.
Wish I knew your secret for looking so good and keeping such a great outlook.
You take care and if you have to have the surgery for the gallbladder, I hear it's a lot easier than it used to be.

Be sure to keep us updated, I always look for your posts.
Love and big hugs to you

Patb
10-27-2009, 08:35 AM
What a trooper, God bless you and give you many
healthy happy days.
patb

schoolteacher
10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Tricia,

You are my hero. I hope you have a happy birthday. Thanks for posting with the good news about your scans. Let us know what happens. God Bless You.

Amelia

BonnieR
10-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Tricia, if it's any consolation, not that you seem to need
consoling(!), GB surgery is pretty "easy" today compared to past years. They can do the proceedure laproscopicly, if that is a word. I had it several years ago and my recovery was uneventful.
Keep the faith. I know you will

chrisy
10-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Tricia,
Thanks for the update - take care of yourself, and let your 75 person strong village wrap you in love!
Chris

Ceesun
10-27-2009, 10:33 AM
What a wonderful message. May God bless you, Tricia, as you have blessed us with kindness. xo Ceesun

tricia keegan
10-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Tricia, great to have an update from you...you'll live forever my friend:)

Cal-Gal
10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
God Bless you TriciaK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bejuce
10-27-2009, 05:58 PM
What an inspiration, you are! Thank you so much for posting your story!

Ruth
10-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Tricia ~ thank you so much for posting this update and your story for the newbies. You are such a positive role model for all of us. I want to come to your 100 year old birthday celebration...by then you may have 100 decendents!! They are all so blessed to have you.
Sending lots of hugs ~ Ruth

Laurel
10-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Ah, Tricia, that was lovely and so is the wonderful lady who posted it! I wish you as many years as you hope to have. Thank you for inspiring and blessing all of us. All my best...

Paty
10-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Tricia,

It's been an inspiration to me reading your post. I wish you feel better soon and hang in there!! I am sure you will reach to be 102. Will keep you in my prayers, and whether you believe it or not , I was thinking of you this morning while at work. God bless you.

Paty

Jean
10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Dear Tricia,
You are one special beautiful lady. How dare that silly gall bladder get in your way :( sending you healing wishes for that surgery.

Thank you for putting brightness into my day!
Hugs,
jean

Chelee
10-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Tricia, From the time I found this Her2 support board & read the 1st post from you I was just amazed, encouraged, & had hope. You are just so inspirational & I am so glad your part of this family. I've told so many people I know about you & their faces always light up. What a truly beautiful person you are inside and out. :)

Despite these challeges you always seem to keep pushing forward with such a positive attitude. I am so sorry to hear your having a rough time right now with your eyesight, walking and eating...I hope your medical team can get you feeling a bit better & soon. I want you to know you are always in my thoughts and prayers. You take good care of yourself and enjoy that large family of yours. (I know you will!) Sending my love. (Big Hug!)

Chelee

Adriana Mangus
10-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Dear Tricia;

Ever since I came to this site, I have looked up to you for strenght and determination. You have inspired me so much -and the fight goes on....

I'm also a long term cancer survivor, 1994.

Happy 80th B-Day!

Love,

Adriana

ElaineM
10-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I think you are fabulous !! You are a great role model for all of us. Enjoy as many decades of life as you can get !! Happy Birthday.

WolverineFan
10-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Tricia,

I am relatively new to this sight, but I just wanted to let you know that I loved your post. Your great attitude shines through, and with all the wonderful posts replying to your initial post, I know you are a great source of inspiration to many. I sincerely hope you get to feeling better soon, and I look forward to seeing many more posts from you in the next 22 years.

God bless,

Hayley

Donna
10-31-2009, 12:38 AM
Oh Tricia! I wanna be you when I grow up! I love hearing your amazing positive attitude coming through your post even though you have many health issues. I love that you don't let all that baggage drag you down - you are amazing and a true inspiration to us all!

God bless you!

Love, Donna

Jackie07
10-31-2009, 03:18 AM
Tricia,

Thanks for the inspirational 'talk'. It made me think of the statement made by one of our members: "I want to live to be an outrageous old woman..." Gee, I would never have guessed your age. My Mother just turned 86 and is a 13-year Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma survivor. She's been enjoying her life to the fullest. I will tell her about you.

An early 'Happy Birthday' to you. [By the way, hubby's great grandparents came from Sweden also.]

Catherine
10-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi Tricia,

Wishing you a very happy 80th birthday. You really are an inspiration. Dancing 4 nights a week and writing books in your spare time. What a lady. Keep up that cute Swedish attitude.

Hugs, Catherine

Mary Jo
11-01-2009, 04:49 PM
And God Bless you sweet Tricia. God has a purpose for us all and your purpose is obvious to me. You have the kind of heart and soul that encourages and loves in a special way. We need more people like you.

Sending love and peace ......

Mary Jo

LoriE
11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Oh, Tricia, you are an amazing woman. I share those Swedish roots with you and, believe me, I hope I can also share that great attitude you have!
Thanks for the inspiration, ma'am.