PDA

View Full Version : Breast cancer, India & curry?

DianneS
09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Just wondering.....if curry (curcumin) is a good anti breast cancer food, do women have less breast cancer in countries where curry is eaten regularly, such as India? Any studies?

Dianne

Laurel
09-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Dianne,

There are several studies that support this if I remember correctly. Google "curcumin and breast cancer" and you will have plenty to digest. I add curry to everything because I love it! And yes, less BC is noted among the Indian population.

Rich66
10-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Might not be good for (ex)smokers:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38868&highlight=curcumin

Ellie F
11-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Hi
Just read recent posting ( I think from Rich) about a trial giving curcumin to bc patients having chemo. It appeared to be well tolerated up to 8000 units after which it appeared toxic.
I have been doing some informal research of my own with people from a south asian community. On average they consume about 2000 units per day every day in their normal diet and bc is rare.
Wondered what amounts were taken by members of the board?

margiermc
11-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I now add curry to alot of foods - I wonder in other countries, if they did not grow up with fast foods, like this country - does that have something to do with less bc cancer and other cancer's?

TanyaRD
11-25-2009, 01:41 PM
There is a known link between cancer an obesity. I'm sure it, along with multiple other dietary factors, plays a major role in other countries and BC or other CA rates.

DianneS
12-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Dear Tanya,

I have read that some bc women are taking up to 800 mg (or IU, can't remember) of curcumin. One brand is called Life Extension with bioperine (pepper) - 5 mg. Is this a recommended dose?

I am taking a brand called New Chapters which has 400 mg curcumin in an olive oil base. Apparently fish oil is recommended to help absorb the curcumin.

New Chapters uses the rhizome, while some other supplements use the root. What is the difference? Which is better? How much should I take? Thank you so much,
Dianne

ElaineM
12-25-2009, 08:30 PM
I cook with curcumin (tumeric). I love it in rice dishes, soups, stews and I even put a little in my hummus.

TanyaRD
12-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi Dianne,
Sorry it has taken me a few days to respond. I hope you had a nice holiday. I have done some research on your questions. I frequently see people taking between 400-800mg curcumin in supplement form. Unlike prescription and over the counter medications there is no a true "set dose" for things such as curcumin. Various amounts have been studied and in various forms. I looked for some research on the oil issue and could not find any studies but only information from companies selling products. It is known that bioavailability of curcumin orally is quite poor. As far as root vs rhizome it again appears unclear. Tumeric is made of both root and rhizome.

I cannot recommend a dose or a product at this point. I believe it is beneficial to include tumeric in cooking on a routine basis. This is just one of many anti-cancer practices that can be accomplished in the diet.

Becky
12-30-2009, 05:07 PM
All I can recommend is that a portion of chicken curry (about one cup) contains about 200mg of curcumin. Therefore, go by that. I am sure that in Indian cooking, they don't eat curcumin in every dish, in every meal, everyday. So, if there is an anticancer effect, say 200mg four times a week? Just thinking out loud here.

Liaidarutrica
07-01-2010, 07:58 PM
hey sarah , what is actuall reason of breast cancer, my wife have different size of boobs, one is big and one is little and she checkup from doctor , doc said the she is fine ?