PDA

View Full Version : more on AI induced joint pains and carpal tunnel syndrome

Lani
09-17-2009, 07:17 AM
J Clin Oncol. 2009 Sep 14. [Epub ahead of print] Links

Sonographic and Electrodiagnostic Evaluations in Patients With Aromatase Inhibitor-Related Arthralgia.

Dizdar O, Ozçakar L, Malas FU, Harputluoglu H, Bulut N, Aksoy S, Ozisik Y, Altundag K.
Department of Medical Oncology, Hacettepe University Institute of Oncology; and the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Hacettepe University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey.
PURPOSE: To investigate the prevalence of arthralgia in breast cancer patients taking aromatase inhibitors (AIs) and perform a detailed rheumatologic assessment including autoimmune serology, musculoskeletal sonography, and electromyography (EMG) in these patients. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Postmenopausal patients with stage I to III breast cancer who were taking adjuvant AIs were enrolled (n = 92). Patients who were not receiving hormone treatment were included as a control group (n = 28). Musculoskeletal sonography and EMG were applied to the patients and the controls along with markers of autoimmunity. RESULTS: Thirty patients (32.6%) reported to have AI-related new-onset or worsening arthralgia. The most commonly affected joints were knee (70%), wrist (70%), and small joints of the hand (63%). Patients taking AIs had increased tendon thicknesses compared with those who never received AIs (P < .001). Patients with AI-related arthralgia had higher rates of effusion in hand joints/tendons than those without arthralgia (P = .033). More patients with AI-related arthralgia had EMG findings consistent with carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) than those without arthralgia (P = .024). No significant difference was observed in erythrocyte sedimentation rates, C-reactive protein, antinuclear antibody, antidouble stranded DNA antibody, rheumatoid factor, or anticyclic citrullinated peptide levels between patients and controls or between those with and without arthralgia. CONCLUSION: Patients with AI-related arthralgia often show tenosynovial changes suggesting tenosynovitis, exerting local problems but lacking a systemic inflammatory component. Our finding of increased CTS frequency also supports this hypothesis.
PMID: 19752344

harrie
09-18-2009, 12:19 AM
I had trigger thumb from the AIs and acupunture literally cleared it up COMPLETELY. The person I went to was phenominal! I owe her big time.