PDA

View Full Version : scholorships

freyja
01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm considering after my surgery and radiation going back to college. I'm trying to find resources for financial aid. I'm a married mother and I'm 31 years old. I live in Oregon. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. It seems most scholarships for moms are for single mothers and a lot of cancer survivor scholarships are for teenagers.

Jackie07
01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi,

Not sure if anyone has private messaged you.

The only scholarship I have been able to obtain since my tumor/cancer treatment has been from Texas Rehabilitation Commission. They did not pay for the $2000.00 Teacher Training Program because Texas Workforce Center sponsored it, but they subsidized my transportation cost and the testing fees. The counselor also claimed credit to have 'obtained the resource' which I didn't mind at all.

I am not sure if breast cancer can qualify you for assistance from your state rehabilitation services. But it is worth checking into. Also, I've learned that the college itself often has scholarship available. Be sure to talk to a counselor in the schools you want to attend. They have access to both federal and local resources. There is a federal grant that you don't have to pay back if it is your first time. Be sure to apply.

SoCalGal
01-28-2009, 12:08 AM
What about using FAFSA? http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ Very user friendly. Also Fast web sends emails every day with various scholarship info.

Here's their info:

The leading Internet scholarship search service, FastWeb helps students make the decisions that shape their lives: choosing and paying for college, and finding jobs and internships afterward.
FastWeb's enhanced college search allows students to research and compare colleges based on the relevant scholarship matches at each school.
FastWeb gives students the tools they need to complete their education and segue into the working world. There's a reason 34 million students can't be wrong!

Can you tell I have kids in college:)? Good luck tomorrow. I'll be sending you healing white light. xoxo Flori

Soccermom
02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Pell grant!
http://www.ed.gov/programs/fpg/index.html

Good for you,Celeste!
Hugs,Marcia :)

notamrnpsn
02-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Loved the pic of the burning Viking ship. Were you celebrating "Up Hellya" Hope you get the help you need, Jeanette

fauxgypsy
02-04-2009, 08:07 PM
If you don't already have a degree, there should be grants available to help you. As some one previously mentioned, check with rehab, and I would consider starting at a community college. Their tuition is lower and they are great places to go. A lot of them have classes online as well. If you are interested in teaching, there might be some help there as well.

Believe51
03-26-2009, 10:59 AM
How are you making out??>>Believe51

freyja
03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Well, thanks for asking. I did some applications, but didn't qualify for a lot. Last year I worked until my diagnosis in August, which was just long enough to make my income for the year just above most limits for low income support. Most of the scholarships for moms are for single moms...don't they know married moms need educations, too? It's also been a very long time since I was last enrolled, so I think after I am back for a term or two and my GPA is really great, I may be able to get more help.
My major is dance, and a friend of mine has a nonprofit org called Danceability, teaching dance improvisation to people of all levels of physical and mental abilities. He can give me financial assistance to come with him to Uraguay next year to take his teacher certification course and I can start teaching his technique all over the world! Loving that plan!

freyja
05-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Woo hoo! I got financial aid from the University I'm returning to. I did the FAFSA app and got Pell grant, Oregon Opportunity Grant, Supplemental Ed Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Study Job and a couple loan offers.

I just might finish my dance dance degree now, plus I'm going to get certified as a teacher of Danceability International (see www.danceability.com) and I just had a workshop from the creator of the somatic technique Continuum (www.continuummovement.com)

I've always known that dance is my greatest passion, but after having a child and getting married, I got very distracted. I believe that's a big part of why my cancer progressed and appeared. I am going back to it, for my own health and well being, and to help others prevent similar things from happening to them, and help them heal from the challenges already upon them.

Thanks for your help and support.

Believe51
05-07-2009, 09:50 AM
WooHoo! I am dancing besides you and add my congratulations if you overlook some of these dance steps of mine (LOL). May all of your wishes come true, it looks like you are off to a great start.>>Believe51

schoolteacher
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Freyja,

Glad you got you financial aid. I have always loved going to school. It helped with stress.

Amelia

StephN
05-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Gosh, Celeste!
I had missed your news. What wonderful news!!!
Looks like they ALL came through for you. You must have one heck of a good story on your applications.

Was great spending time with you at the conference in Denver. All that cerebral energy is really something to experience.

So happy you can "get on" with your life in the fashion you really desire. Danceability sounds similar to what a gal from my high school was instrumental in getting started. She was paralyzed in a gymnastic accident. I also took several dance classes in college and afterwards at Cornish in Seattle. I have not really mentioned how much dance helped me get through my several bouts with this disease.

Henny
05-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Congratulations on getting so much help for school.
When I was first diagnosed people said that this could be a time to do things and make changes you wouldn't have done without a cancer diagnosis and something good could come out of it. I thought they were crazy and nothing good could come out of cancer.
Well, you have shown me that it is possible. It is so wonderful to see you making such life reaffirming choices.
And BTW I went back to school many years ago when my oldest daughter was 9 months old. It was hard but I started slow and got into a career that I love.

Henny

WomanofSteel
05-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Congrats on all the help for school. I am hoping my daughter is as lucky when she starts applying next year. She is a smart girl so that may help some. Good luck with your studies!

Soccermom
05-13-2009, 06:07 PM
WOOOHHHOOOIE for YOU Celeste! Way to go!!
Marcia