PDA

View Full Version : power

juanita
06-07-2008, 08:07 PM
there are so many things i take for granted and having electricity is one of them. we were unlucky enough to be in the path of one of the severe storms to hit indiana yesterday and though we sustained no damage except to trees we were without power for just over 24 hours. i was so happy to see it come back on tonight. we also got 2 1/2" of rain in about 2 hours today. we are lucky though, my sister lives in the southern part of the state where she is completely flooded.

sassy
06-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Glad you were not without power for a long time.

Good to "talk" to you.

Colleens_Husband
06-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Juanita:

I am glad you got your power back.

In Oregon City, we live on top of a cliff and the power lines get wrecked by falling trees every other year or two. Everyone in our neighborhood is prepared to deal with long term power outages. When outages hit all our neighbors band together to help each other out. We all complain about the lack of power but we also enjoy the spirit of giving that fills our neighborhood. There has been several times when I heard people say 'Awwwww!' when the power comes on.

The real trick is get that neighborhood fellowship when things are going well.

Lee

Jackie07
06-08-2008, 10:26 PM
We had a very brief power outage in part of the town last week after a storm. It reminded me of the 'Typhoon' season when I was growing up in Taiwan. The power was always out during the storms. We would light candles and home-made oil lamp and gather around my Mother's full-size bed listen to her stories and learning old songs. One of my earliest childhood memory was escaping to the attic (just a space in between the ceiling and the roof) with my family and looking down at the muddy water filling up the house. Our pets were with us. At the age about 3-4, I did not remember anything that relates to 'danger', just a memorable event that we were all cramped up above the ceiling...