PDA

View Full Version : Top2a

Cannon
02-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had their TOP2A tested ala this news that the test was approved by the FDA?

I showed the article to my onc., and he said he didn't think it would give us any new information (I've already been treated). It looks like the test is meant to predict responsiveness to chemo, and predict odds of recurrence (which is my obsession, despite knowing that my individual odds are either 0% or 100%).

http://patient.cancerconsultants.com/CancerNews.aspx?DocumentId=41233&Keywords=cancer,news,information,treatment,breast, breast%20cancer,genetic,test,TOP2A,FISH,pharmaDx

I searched the archives and saw one study that suggested that TOP2A overexpression was correlated with HER2+ overexpression.

Thanks.

Rebecca

Cannon
02-05-2008, 08:22 PM
bumping up - anyone?

Karen W
02-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Do you mean the Topo II test? If so, I know that Jean had the test and I think a couple of other gals did, too.

Karen

Cannon
02-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I guess so - can you tell me more about that? Thanks.

Rebecca

Jean
02-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi Rebecca,
Yes, I was tested for TOPO 11.
When I was at the SABCS Dr. Slamon spoke again about the TOPO 11 test and the benefit of the test would be for those patients that have not had
treatment yet. If you are TOPO 11 positive than A/C chemo would be
the better treatment, if TOPO 11 negative then A/C chemo would not
chosen. Women who are TOPO 11 positive and Her2 would have a greater benefit from the A/C.

I was TOPO 11 negative and was tested by Dr. Slamon 2006 he advised
TCH which I did. He also advised that the TCH trials showed a small
difference between the A/C and TCH treatment I think it was a 3% difference and the TCH treatments did not increase heart risk to the patient.

I am glad this has been FINALLY approved by the FDA since in S.A.
one top Onc. was stating to Dr. Slamon on the panel one night that this test was not approved by our FDA (she was from France). Glad
that NOW woman will be able to test further what chemo will be their
best choice with less risk.

I was very surprised that many onc. do not even know about the test.
If you have any other questions just reach out.

Kind Regards,
Jean

Cannon
02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks Jean

micheleu
02-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I hope someone might now this..
I was tested for p13 after my tx was finished..that's when all the talk was about p13. Is this Topo II different from that? How do they differ? I had the test just for peace of mind.

Jean
02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Micheleu,
Love your new photo!
The TOPO2a is a different test. TOPO 2a is a gene we all carry,
if it is positive then the patient will have a significantly improved
response to A/C chemo. If you are negative the A/C will be of little
benefit. Most patients have not been tested for this as it was not available and was extreme cutting edge at the time.

The PTEN 13 marker applies to Herceptin. MD Anderson was doing the research on this. I had called and spoke with the research dr. who
was working on this and the research was halted do to funding.
She had hoped that another grant would be offered and their
work would resume. Most have not been tested for this like TOPO2a
especially since there was only herceptin at the time. Now we have
Tykerb.

Currently there is no testing to determine if herceptin will work.
The PTEN has not been confirmed yet and there is no data out
on this. I certainly hope the research at MD Anderson will
resume or at the very least be studied in another lab.

Best Regards,
Jean

janet11
02-07-2008, 08:28 AM
My onc recommended the test (September 2006). Am glad to see it's been approved. The test results determined which chemo drugs my onc recommended, so it was worth having it done.

micheleu
02-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the explaination!!