PDA

View Full Version : once you have bone mets

penelope
02-03-2008, 10:59 AM
how fast do they grow? Is it a slow process over years or fast?

I am concerned as I have had a pain in my butt that comes and goes since this whole cancer thing started 2.5 years ago.

The pain that I feel is in my butt cheek and sometimes travels to the front of my leg. It hangs around for about a month and the will disappear. It does not wake me up, but I feel it when I am awake. I had a bone scan during a particular troublesome period with it in Mar 06 which was clean. I then had a CT scan in Oct 06 for other reasons and it noted "mild sclerosis and possible early subcortical cyst in the right scroiliac joint." Could this have actually been bone mets missed? It has been over a year and my blood is fine, other than being a little anemic due to iron. Wouldn't it have shown up in my blood by now?

Feeling a little like I am falling off the ledge lately ladies.
Last night is the first night ever that I dreamed of being stage IV.

Opinions from the experts please!

Jean
02-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I am not an expert, but from what I do know, bone met pain does not
go away, it is constant.

I am sure others on the board will have further details to add.

Good Wishes,
Jean

kcherub
02-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey...I know it is scary. I just went through something very similar. Read my post "mystery back pain". I am under the impression that if it is "big" enough to cause problems, it would be big enough to show up on imaging. What did your ONC. say?

Take care,

penelope
02-03-2008, 02:01 PM
My onc has not said anything....I am too chicken to call.

I don't want to be shoved into another tube.

I swear this disease is going to push me off the edge.

Paty
02-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Well, I am also going through a lot of bone pain that comes and goes. The little fingers in my hands ache a lot, also my back on the right side and the inner part of my elbows. My doctors say this cannot be mets to bones as I am still on treatment (herceptin), this could be a syntom from the same medicine or some sort of arthritis. I will go for a bone scan next month for my control studies

lexigirl
02-03-2008, 03:41 PM
From waht I have been told, the pain won't come and go. If anything, it gets worse. Could it be your sciatic nerve? I am sure that I spelled that wrong! I have friends who complain of the same pain you are describing. Of course if it gets worse or doesn't go away, you should probably see your doc. I am very hopeful that it isn't ca related.

Big Hugs,
Lexi

chrisy
02-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Penelope,
From what I understand, what you are experiencing does not sound like bone mets. True, cancer is a pain in the butt, but in this case I don't think so.

However, I think you should ask your doctor about any bothersome symptom that hangs on longer than a couple of weeks. Nobody likes being shoved in a tube, but as you have said, not knowing can drive you crazier.

Take care
chris

Chelee
02-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Penelope, What you are describing sounds like it could be "sciatica". Google sciatica when you get a chance. Sciatica pain can affect the buttocks, thigh, knee, ankle, foot, & toe. It can also spread into the other nerves and affect the front part of the leg. Of course always check with your doctor but I really don't think its mets. By the way, sciatic pain can come and go just like you describe. I just hate how we have to worry about ever bit of pain we have...it seems its always something....I know it is for me. Hang in there.

Chelee

penelope
02-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Chelee...

Ditto.... I hate worrying, feeling nervous and uncomfortable in my own skin.

I did some stretching and my si joint popped. It seems to be a little better. Hoping it is as simple as that.

Thanks for the support.

John21
02-04-2008, 03:11 PM
My wife has bone mets, for the last 5 years. Most are correct, on the initital symptoms, the pain comes and does not go away without treatment. Also, I was told if pain relievers work, then it is probably not the cancer. My wife's back is acting up lately. She just finished radiation treatments to help with the pain. The thing is with bone mets, the spots never go away even if things are stable. Once the bone has been attacked, the spots still show due to healing or what not.

If you are concerned, be proactive and check it out.

John

CLTann
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Penelope,

From what you described, there is a very high likelihood that the problem is perineural cysts. They hid inside the vertebrate at the lower end (near tail bone) of the spine. Some days, the pain is worse. These cysts are living things, fill and drain all the time. Many people have this problem and there is no simple solution to this. As many already pointed out to you, bone mets pain does not go away and the pain does not respond to mild pain relievers. MRI should reveal this problem; ask your doctor to prescribe this test, so that you can be psychologically relieved. This type of cyst does not cause any life threatening problem and is benign.

Best of luck.

By the way, I have them too.