PDA

View Full Version : Is Coffee ok?

Faith in Him
02-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I know this may be a strange question but I have been trying not to have coffee ever since my original dx last year. My doctors have told me it is ok to drink it. I worry about the caffine but sure do miss it.

What do you think?

Thanks
Tonya

Karen W
02-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Tonya,

I do drink coffee because it is the one thing I really love. I didn't during treatment, only because I just didn't have a taste for it. I drink two cups a day, that's all.

Karen

Joanne S
02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_4_103.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk788MNUS) I scanned the internet and did not see any indications that caffeine is not advisable in women with breast cancer. (exception---high caffeine intake may disturb sleep patterns and women who have high blood pressure or irregular heartbeat should avoid or restrict caffeine.)

So go ahead --- have a cup http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_13_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk788MNUS) and enjoy!

fullofbeans
02-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Basically in term of BC impact seems to me that there is no clear answer. The same debates is true for soy (some say yes, some say no, some say it depends) coffee like soy is a phyto oestrogen (oestradiol)**

I was however surprised by the following article showing it is good against (certain) BC:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/35734.php (I do not know who commissioned the study)

I have stopped coffee myself too and quite frankly when I drink the stuff again now and again, I have heart palpitation and an acid stomach (and for sure proven to be not good for bones) which kind of tell me that it is not generally not right to drink on a regular basis,but hey that's me.. (But from the above it may not be as bad or even good, although there are healthier source of phyto oetrogen if one think it helps.)

Like you I am Er- so the fact that it has phyto oestrogen might not matter anyway.

Sorry no clear cut answer..yet again, you'll have to decide for yourself..everything in moderation i suppose

The researchers took blood samples during the first five days of the women’s menstrual cycles to measure hormone levels. Then the women answered detailed questions about their height, weight, eating habits, alcohol and caffeine consumption, and smoking habits.
When they analysed the data, the researchers found that women who drank more than one cup of coffee per day had significantly higher levels of oestradiol (a form of oestrogen) than women who didn’t drink coffee. Women who consumed about 500 mg of caffeine each day (the equivalent of about four or five cups of coffee) had nearly 70 percent more oestrogen in their blood than women whose caffeine consumption was under 100 mg per day. These findings are significant because circulating oestrogen levels have been linked with many serious health conditions, including breast pain, endometriosis, and breast and ovarian cancer.

Paty
02-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Dear Tonya,
My doctor in Mexico who has been treating me since all this started, has just recommended to avoid drinks with caffeine such as coffee, tea, and cola drinks. He also advised not to consume chocolate. I am not that good at avoiding these drinks, coffee is what keeps me going every morning at the office. I think that if you enjoy coffee, go ahead and have a little when you just feel like it.

harrie
02-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Towards the end of my herceptin treatments, the nurses were not able to find a good vein as easy as they did in the beginning. (My treatments were usually first thing in the morning). Routinely I would drink my coffee in the morning and then head on over for my treatment. During my treatment I would consume my bottles of water. With some experimentation I have found that if I drank plenty of water at home prior to my treatment, instead of coffee, I would be much better hydrated and finding that vein was easier. Then during the treatment I would have my one cup of coffee which i love.
Harrie (maryanne)

Bill
02-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Wow, Tonya, caffeine is a difficult habit to quit. I've done it before, but at the cost of an unrelenting headache. I'm only a layman, but in my opinion, with moderate caffeine use, from what I've read, if you don't have any heart-related or blood pressure issues, you should be ok. Having said that, you're on herceptin, hopefully having periodic echos. There are some benefits to moderate caffeine intake. Extra energy, it does stimulate concentration and clear thinking, gives you extra strength. I don't know enough about the chemical effects of caffeine on cancer cells, if that's your line of questioning, but there is something to be said for waking up in the morning and grabbing a cup of coffee and strolling out back to watch the sun rise. You strike a balance between the chemical physical intake of the caffeine and the emotional, physiological experience, which may outweigh the harmful physical impacts, I don't know. Tonya, I think a cup of coffee or two is good for you if you enjoy it, Bill

Mary Jo
02-02-2008, 06:53 AM
I drink about 2 cups of coffee every day. I also eat choc. and sometimes more than I should - more sugar than I should too actually. I do my best - exericise daily - eat well (other than when I have that choc. and sugary stuff) take my cod liver oil daily, 1 T of olive oil and just a few supplements - D3, magnesium and a multi. That's it.

My philosphy - do the best you can but enjoy your life. Life's too short to quit all you enjoy for fear of something happening. That's just me though. We all "gotta do what we all gotta do" though.

Love & Peace,

Mary Jo

doh2pa
02-02-2008, 07:49 AM
You said it, Mary Jo! Moderation ladies, but we have been through too much to deny ourselves a little bit of the things we really enjoy! I have one cup of coffee and a little piece of chocolate every day (FOR ME!) and have just passed my 4 year survival mark (2.5 years with metastatic disease). Do things that make you happy!

AlaskaAngel
02-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I've been "decaffed" for almost 5 years, but this is interesting since I have an aunt who died of ovarian cancer:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/94693.php

micheleu
02-02-2008, 05:00 PM
i thought i read once that coffee has i think tanneic acid in it that is good for you? Maybe someone else could elaborate

Becky
02-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Coffee has antioxidants in it. Not as much as tea and its benefits. All I can say is I drink it - 3+ cups - all in the morning. I have some tea in the afternoon