PDA

View Full Version : Tamoxifen v. AI's

BethC
01-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Thank you to Harrie for suggesting I start a new thread to ask this question.

I am 41 and just finished chemo (yeah!). I haven't had a period since the chemo started. My mom went through menopause early at 42 so I probably am there now. Anyway, I'm not sure if it would be better to take Tamoxifen and wait and see if I'm really in menopause? Or would it be better to take the shots to make sure I'm in menopause and take AI's?

PinkGirl
01-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi Beth

I was in a similar situation although I am older than you are. I was close to my periods ending but not quite. The chemo took care of it for me.

My onc. was in a hurry to get me on an A.I. but he left me on
Tamoxifen for 3 or 4 months. During that time we kept checking
my estridol and after it stayed low for 4 months and he was sure
that I was in full menopause, I was switched to the A.I.

BethC
01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Did your doctor think the AI's were better? You mentioned your doctor was in a hurry to get you on AI's.

Jean
01-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Beth,
Several clinical trials are ongoing worldwide to answer these questions.
I do know that there were studies that showed that Arimidex worked well
while taking herceptin...there was added benefit. AI are promising to be more effective than
tamoxifen at reducing breast cancer recurrence. But do know that the data is still out on the AI's.
You may want to consider the shots if your estrogen level does not prove to be in menapause. I know
that Becky decided to have an oophorectomy (remove her ovaries) so she could start AI.

Congratulations on completeing chemo! Glad that is behind you.
Herceptin is much easier. Wishing you the best.

Kind Regards,
Jean

PinkGirl
01-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi Beth
My onc. believes that A.I.'s are more effective for Her2+ cancers.

mimiflower07
01-31-2008, 05:58 PM
hi jean, pinkgirl and beth
i just finished chemo today,,feel like crying(not because i'm sad)
another step done...now onto herceptin. I was also told by my onc dr that AI 's are proving more effective for her2 bc. Can anyone explain this to me..because they are recom that i have an ooph. My app is feb 11 with gyn onc wasting no time. they say that i can have surgery while on herceptin. if this is all true then i'm saying bye..bye ovaries!!
well back to my steroid buzzz.....
suzanne

Joanne S
01-31-2008, 09:58 PM
My oncologist told me that AIs, such as Arimidex, are more effective than Tamoxifen in HER2+ ER+ patients.

I am in chemo induced menopause and currently taking Tamoxifen. My oncologist suggested getting my ovaries out and starting AI, but I haven't decided yet.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_7.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk788MNUS)I wish the answer to your question was cut and dry. This discussion has come up before. Refer to:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30103 (http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30103)

harrie
02-01-2008, 12:04 AM
BETH AND SUZANNE.....CONGRATULATIONS ON FINISHING YOUR CHEMO!!! I am SO happy and proud for both of you!!

Beth, I had 5 ys of Tamoxifen from 1999 to 2004. This followed my DCIS/lumpectomy/radiation. Since then I had this most recent occurrance of I-DCIS and I am now on Arimidex. I had a oophorectomy done 1 yr ago. I am considering switching to a different AI due to a "trigger finger" problem with my left thumb.

Maryanne (harrie)

Chelee
02-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Beth, My onc recommends an AI too rather then tamoxifen. If you go with an AI just make sure they do labs on you every once in a while to check your Estradiol and FSH level's. I was peri-meno prior to chemo. I went into chemopause as most women do...but my onc assumed I would stay menopausal. But I knew I wouldn't. I had her check my estradiol and FSH about 4 months later and I was right back to being peri-meno. So the "AI" wasn't doing me any good all that time.

Point being...if you decide to go with an AI...just make sure you have your estradiol and FSH checked in a month or so because you could go back to being peri-meno...its happens far to often. I'm glad your asking questions and staying on top of this. Way to go. Hang in there.

Chelee

BethC
02-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Thank you to everyone for your input. You are all so kind. Have a nice weekend!

Beth

tricia keegan
02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
My onc also said the A1 was better so like Becky I decided to have the ooph as we were'nt sure I was in full menopause. I've had no real side effects and no regrets although I do have the trigger thumb and joint pain with arimidex.
Congratulations to you both on finishing chemo

Les
02-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi everyone,I don't post very often but I do read everyday.I'm a 4 year survivor dx 11/03,I have been on tamoxifen since july 2004 and for the past year have been period free hopefully i'm done with that. I was wondering how long you all will be on AI's is it 5 years like tamoxifen? Also, I think that while I was taking first paxil and then switched to effexor that the tamoxifen was not as effective because as soon as I stopped the antidepressents my periods stopped could this be related? I was stage1 IDC no nodes her2+++erpr+ lumpectomy 4 a/c and rads no hercepton because it wasn't available yet

sassy
02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
My onc also states that AI's are more effective for HER2's. I am currently on Lupron shots monthly to keep me in meno. Have been on Lupron and Arimidex since 11/05.