PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin, min side effects 4 me

harrie
01-29-2008, 11:35 PM
I just finished my year long treatment of herceptin and I wanted to let whoever was interested to know that I had minimal side effects, if any. My energy level was normal, my weight remained normal, I had at times a very slight drippy nose, and no skin rashes or changes. Maybe I was just lucky, but that's how it was for me!
I am on Arimidex now and I am getting more side effects from that then the herceptin. So far....the Arimidex is fairly tolerable. It is mostly just in the joint of my left thumb.
But I know there are a lot of posts out there about significant side effects to the herceptin and I just wanted others to know that I am one who hardly had any side effects.
Best of luck to any of you about ready to embark on your treatment of herceptin.

Mary Jo
01-30-2008, 05:56 AM
I handled herceptin well also. I was able to complete one year of it and it was given to me every 3 weeks. I did have a runny nose and wasn't able to lose the weight gained during chemo and herceptin. The moment herceptin ended - literally within weeks - the weight started to come off. I also had some joint aches - knees and hips mainly - but that was all minimal and very tolerable.

All in all, nothing to complain about and very thankful I could tolerate it for one year.

Hi Maryanne http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Hugs

Mary Jo

tousled1
01-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Maryanne,

Congratulations on completing your year of Herceptin. Hopefully the side effects you are having from the Arimidex will subside.

Patb
01-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I finished Herceptin in November, 07. It was very easy with no side effects. Mugas stayed the same and very little fatigue. Arimidex is
another story. Bone ache most of the time, better with exercise.
Patb

mke
01-30-2008, 02:58 PM
It was pretty easy for me too. Drippy nose was the most significant. My vision has also deteriorated some, but that might just be me getting older.

BethC
01-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Thank you for sharing your positive experiences about Herceptin! I had my last chemo on 1-16-08 and will continue with the Herceptin every three weeks, starting next week. I'm hoping that I tolerate it well without many side effects. I'm also hoping that the acne/rash that I got after each chemo is NOT from the Herceptin!

I have something I've been wanting to ask. I am 41 and my periods stopped when I started the chemo. My mother went through menopause early at 43. I don't know if I should go on Tamoxifen or take the shots that suppress the ovaries and take Arimidix or an AI. It seems like there is a lot of research on this topic right now but not many conclusions.

Thanks for your input!
Beth

harrie
01-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Beth, what is your main concern? Is it to get the hormone inhibitor medication and yet trying to avoid menopause? The reason I am asking is because to get advice or comments on this situation, you might want to open up a new thread. It might not be seen very much on this one.
Maryanne (harrie)

BethC
01-31-2008, 04:25 PM
I don't really care about avoiding menopause as much as I was wondering which medicine is more effective.

goops
01-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Congratulations on completeing your Herceptin! That must feel great.