PDA

View Full Version : Scan results not good advise please!!

tracey2424
01-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi Ladies

this is my first time post on this board but have been a regular reader for the last yr and a half,

I was diagnosed in May 06 stage 4 from the start (liver mets) been on A/C and Taxotere since then which failed me then went on Xelodia and Herceptin and halleluah it worked.
Been off Xelodia since last May just doing Herceptin, with positive scans then went for my 3 monthly scan last week and told today PROGRESSION,

Now heres my dilema either go back onto Xelodia or my onc wants me to start a clinical trial opening here in the uk 28th February its the E3789 Esai trial has anyone heard of this or going on it, any info would be greatly appreciated as im really down in the dumps at the Heceptin failing me i am 41 with two lovely kids.
i mentioned Tykerb to him but its not licensed over here yet.

Tracey.

BonnieR
01-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Tracey, I don't have specific information for you but wanted you to know you have come to the right place for help and support.
It is encouraging that your onc has a new approach to be considered. Do you have someone who goes with you to your doctor appointments? Then you could have all your questions written down ahead of time and someone to help you clarify the answers....
Keep the faith.

Believe51
01-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Just wanted to welcome you to our family. Prayers coming your way from now on. Pulling this post up so our 'gurus' can offer the help that I cannot....I am good at praying though...>>Believe51

CPA
01-29-2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/35426.php

Took a little research... I think you inverted the 3 & 7.

CPA
01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
http://www.clinicalbreastcancer.com/publication/new_approaches_slide_06/article2.php

This article is a little more technical.

alw
01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Sorry for the duplicate information - I posted at the same time as CPA. -Amy

I would guess the drug you are referring to in the clinical trial is E7389. There are a number of clinical trials involving E7389 and breast cancer - some recruiting and some active but not recruiting.

E7389 is a synthetic analog of halichondrin B (HB), which is a natural product shown in preclinical studies to have highly potent anti-cancer activity in vitro and in vivo. Halichondrin B was originally isolated from a type of marine sponge.

Here is one of Lani's posts regarding E7389 from SABCS from a few years ago. Maybe Lani or others will chime in if they see this.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21969&highlight=e7389

-Amy

Lolly
01-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I just want to let you know I'm thinking of you.

Herceptin has not necessarily "failed" you. I was in remission from Stage 4 progression for over 2 years, on Herceptin maintenance, and when I recurred my onc added Navelbine for 6 months and I was in the clear again for almost a year. As you can see from my profile below, I've been on Herceptin plus or minus chemo for over 6 years, and just went off it in December only because there's no data on interaction of Herceptin with Avastin which is one of the 3 I'm on currently. Some of us need chemo added to Herceptin to keep the mets at bay, and many of us have been at this balancing act for years. Talk this over with your onc, along with the clinical trial. If the trial doesn't help you possibly you could go back to Herceptin with chemo for awhile. Or if the trial seems iffy, and your onc agrees, try Herceptin/chemo for a bit to see if you get a response.
Much depends on the extent of the progression.

<3 Lolly

tousled1
01-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Tracey,

Just because you have progression does not necessarily mean that you are Herceptin resistant. As Lolly said many times you need a chemo agent along with Herceptin. It doesn't appear that you've been on too many chemo agents so there are many possible options available to you. Get as much information as you can on the clinical trial and also inquire about other chemo agents that with Herceptin might work.