PDA

View Full Version : Spring Gardens

Bill
01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone! Spring is right around the corner. It's time to consider what we are going to plant. It's easy to set up a small "bucket garden" anywhere. Get a few buckets or pots and hand mix some potting soil with some humus, and chicken or cow manure. It's amazingly easy to grow your own veggies and greens in a simple bucket or pot on the patio. Spinach and swiss chard grows well, and any time you want to supplement a salad, just go out and snip a few leaves and they grow right back. Radishes grow quickly, and a favorite of mine is radishes, carrots, potatoes, tossed in olive oil and roasted in the oven. A patio or deck garden is a great way to include children and other family members without a whole lot of work. Everything you grow is fresh and healthy. Mothers can sit with their children and say," what would you like to grow this year?," and write down their suggestions in a notebook, and then when you feel able, go buy the seeds and materials. It's a good way to get out into the sunshine and get a little exercise. Go do it! Why not? I expect to hear stories of wonderful bucket gardens come this spring and summer. Love, Bill

hutchibk
01-27-2008, 11:11 PM
OMG, Bill! I want so badly to grow my own food, but I just feel like I would screw it up... tell me more, tell me more! And if I don't have access to manure, what is good in it's place? How much sunshine? Full sun, partial sun? Do the buckets need holes in the bottom? Hummus like I eat on a pita w/ falafel? In the soil?

PinkGirl
01-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Bill and Brenda,

I am laughing - not at this great idea, but at two of the comments.
Bill, spring is not right around the corner for a lot of us. Planting my
garden is a long way off. Brenda, your humus vs. hummus comment
has me giggling.

This is a great idea. I plant a veggie garden every summer. I grow
carrots, cucumbers, swiss chard, tomatoes, parsley, chives, leaf lettuce (which likes to grow in the shade) and pumpkins. I grow the pumpkins for fun - we have a short growing season and my pumpkins don't get very big.

Gardening is a lot of fun and quite easy if you do it in containers. I have a small garden which is a lot of work, but I enjoy it.

This is me and my pumpkin from 2005.

Sheila
01-28-2008, 10:14 AM
PinkGirl
I used to have a huge garden when my children were small...like you I grew tomoatoes, carrots, beets, peppers, onions, potatoes, green beans, okra, parsley, lettuce, radishes....it was a huge garden, and I canned alot for use later on...my Mom still has a huge garden....I once grew a carrot that was as big as my twin girls...seriously, it weighed more than either of them, their picture was in the papaer and UPI picked it up off the wire and the picture went all over the USA,Canada & Europe....I have 2 scrapbooks filled with pictures from all over....each has a different caption...14K Carrot, Twins as big as a carrot, it is funny to look back at them...they even made Farm Wife News (never knew there was such a magazine)....people would just send them to my name and the town I lived in and I would get them...
So, after all that we are expecting some phenomenol veggies from you this year...and pictures!!!!

Bill
01-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Wow, Pinkie, you got me laughing, too. I thought spring was right around the corner, but I guess in Canada maybe it comes in late, like maybe August or something, I don't know that much about Canada. (Do you have June, July, and August up there, or do you just jump straight from May to September?) It looks like you really are an awesome gardener, though, I love your picture of you with your pumpkin. Sheila, you sound like Queen of gardening! That sounds like one awesome carrot! Did you eat it? Just curious. I wasn't trying to imply that nobody knew anything about gardening, I just thought that alot of people think of it as hard back-breaking work, and it doesn't have to be. And, last but not least, Hucklebuck, all you really need to do is get a few 5 gallon buckets or pots, and get some potting soil. They sell composted cow manure at most Home Depots or large hardware stores, if not get some miracle grow. You can't mess anything up, trust me. It's best to just plant 2 or 3 things at first, just to get the hang of it. I see you live in Texas, just make sure if you plant seeds, that they stay moist all the time until they sprout, and maybe keep your pots where they get some shade during the hot afternoons. And, yes put some holes in the bottom of your containers. It's important not to try too much all at once, just a few containers to start off with. You can do it. Take care and good luck, Bill

Marlys
01-29-2008, 08:34 AM
I love to garden. This year in Idaho we may not get spring because winter has decided to return to Boise after a 10 year or more absence. Boise is basically in a banana belt with very mild winters (probably because we are basically in a desert.) (OMG, I must love the word "basically".) Anyhow, I am 69 years old and still run the rototiller and do all the gardening myself with "old whats his name" sitting on the deck telling me how to do it and my dog following my every step barking at the noisy machine. I plant mostly tomatoes and then freeze them whole or in sauce. Sheila, I also plant okra as I really love it. I am so glad I learned to to like it in spite of its gooeyness. Cucumbers, peppers, and beans pretty much cover the rest of it. Oh, and lots of herbs too. Root vegetable don't do particularly well in my soil as it is pretty much what they call "hard pan" around here and no amount of compost, rototilling, and gypsum has really impacted it.
I think it would be fun to keep this thread going until we harvest and compare our goodies.
Sheila, I love the carrot story and PinkGirl, I have observed, at least above my part of the world, that Canada may grow late but it sure does grow big.
Bill, I thank you for starting this thread & don't feel guilty about remembering Nicole and sending her messages.
Oh, and "old whats his name" goes by Ken.
Love & hugs,
Marlys

PinkGirl
01-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I would like to see this thread continue. It would be fun to compare our crops.... you would just have to wait for me to
chime in ... I plant root veggies at the end of May but I have
to be careful with everything else - the "old" gardeners around
here don't plant until after the first full moon in June.

Bill - most of Canada has 4 seasons but I happen to live where
there's basically only 2 seasons, summer and winter. We save
a lot of money because we don't need spring and fall clothes - just a sweater :) Our summers are hot but not very long. I start my pumpkin
plants in the house and then move them outside around the second
week of June.

Marlys - Tiptoe likes to work in the garden. She helped me pick
carrots. Do you have Tip and Tex yet?

Sheila - is there any chance you could scan and post a picture of that
carrot? I hope your twins were babies. I'd like to see this.

Brenda - humus/hummus????????

Great idea for a thread Bill.

Believe51
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
A Dear Friend with MS came from the other side of the state to surprise us at chemo. In her arms was a pretty planter with berried Juniper branches, holly, some wooden fruit and a giant Amaryllis bulb. As we were called for our chemotherapy she got up to leave and handed me this treat. Just her coming so far to see us (like it is a huge state..hehe) made my day and then the planter....complete joy. Now I can have something alive to represent her friendship and vibrant personality.

Ed did not say anything about the flower planter because he did not want to insult her, but he did not know what it was. As our nurses were admiring the craftiness of our mutual friend who grows her own flowers to help her stay limber, Ed replied:

"What is that Marie?? A TURNIP??" Needless to say he provided us with his innocent humor and we were crying tears of laughter.

Long story short, I have started my growing season. In the months to come I will be planting all fresh herbs. I do not stop here because even basil is complex...Lemon basil, Chocolate basil (this year I will plant it in honor of our PinkGirl), etc. Thyme...Italian thyme, lemon thyme and so on. Ed is Italian so he needs his fresh herbs or food just is "disgustoso" (disgusting)!! We do alot of container planting and I perfer to do so, it is so fun to watch things grow and flourish. There will be containers of tomatoes, peppers, carrots and YES....turnips!! LOL!! Let's keep this thread 'GROWING'. Thanks Bill>>Believe51

Sheila
01-29-2008, 12:26 PM
OK Pink Girl, you want me to do some work....the picture occured in 1975, OK so I am getting old....I went to google Twins as big as a carrot 1975 , you can see part of the picture, artical in the Sheboygan Press , (a Wisconsin paper it was in) at the bottom of the first google page....I will have to get to my kids to retrieve and take a picture of the article.....I remember it was in the Winnepeg Free Press???, also Colorado, Idaho, California, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Kansas, Missouri....can't remember all of the papers....my kids live 45 miles away...my next trip I will retrieve!!!!! Yes, they were babies....like a couple months old...

PinkGirl
01-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Sheila, I've been googling and I can't
find anything about your 1975 carrot.

Here's a pic of the biggest pumpkin I've
ever grown. It was in 2005. I don't include
2006 and 2007 pumpkins because you wouldn't
be able to tell the difference between the
pumpkin and my head.

Sheila
01-29-2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://search2.ancestry.com/gg-pg.ashx%3Fdb%3DNEWS-WI-SBYGAN-SBYGANPRESS%26pid%3D511556612&sa=X&oi=archive&ct=result&cd=3&usg=AFQjCNFTgrs5JsgLBXVQFTNZCucm3L8vmQ

Pink

I hope this links it
It worked for me....love the pumpkin...great carving, will you carve mine this year???

PinkGirl
01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks Sheila - I could open it. Cute babies, nice carrot.

lilyecuadorian
01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
I think we are in the same "vibration mind" I'm ready with all the tools and seeds and everything else ....this year I going to do ..tomates (big ones) witch I share with the nun of my daughter school last year ....green pepper, red and yellow are more expensed and watermelon. peas ...beets ...and herb also for this year ..

ElaineM
06-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi,
I started with basil and garlic. I am ready to get some more things that I can grow in pots in a sunny location.
Any ideas?

juanita
06-07-2008, 07:50 PM
no garden for me except a flower garden. that is if they aren't all flooded out.

Bill
06-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Elaine, I planted a pot of Greek Oregano about 6 years ago in a big pot outside and it comes back fuller each year. I like Swiss chard and spinach in pots, too. They do well and you just go out to the patio and snip a few leaves whenever you want to supplement a salad. Carrots and radishes do well in pots, too. If you've never had a roasted radish, you don't know what you've been missing. First, throw some good cooking music into the CD player. Then crack open a beverage of your choice. Next, take a large baking pan (I prefer Pyrex) and throw in some Olive oil, and pour some into the dish with one hand while you sip your beverage with the other. It's important to think about whatever you normally think about when you pour olive oil at this point, or the recipe just doesn't seem the same. Next, snap your fingers, shake your hips and twirl around in a tight circle, stopping right at your cutting board, and start dicing potatoes, and flip 'em into the pan, covering the bottom. Next, take a sip of your beverage, and grab a bunch of carrots and cut them into 3 inch chunks, and throw them into the pan, (most of these ingredients should be in your bucket garden, except for the potatoes- you must steal them) Clean up your radishes and throw them into the pan too. Take a spatula and stir/flip the veggies to coat them. At this point you take a sip of your beverage, admire your work, and say "damn, that looks good". But wait, it's not over yet, you must take another sip of your beverage and take a deep breath and focus. The next step is very important. You must go back out to your bucket garden and harvest just the right amount of basil and oregano to add to the pan. Mix it in and add a little freshly ground pepper and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F until you think it's done, sipping and stirring occasionally. It's really good.

ElaineM
06-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi,
Thanks Bill. Yum. Yum. The veggies sound great. I will try your recipe.

chrisy
06-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Bill, that does sound good (although I guess I can't do it as sipping my favorite bevvie is off limits for now). But I do have a question...What is good cooking music? does it vary by dish? I sort of like to cook to "low rider", and of course any ZZ Top is good for really rockin the skillet but on the other hand, sometimes "Cheeseburger in Paradise" is in order...

Just curious

Bill
06-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Cooking music- Boiling crabs, steaming shrimp, etc.- Bob Marly, or any decent reggae, Jimmy Buffet. Making stews or soups should be Neil Young or Gordon Lightfoot. Baking a turkey, chicken, game hen or anything that winds up in your Ojibwa bird-snare- Beethoven or smooth, mellow jazz. Making home-made spaghetti- jazz or India Arie. Chili- classic bluegrass or Old Crow Medicine Show is acceptable. Roasting/grilling of red meats with side dishes- Sinatra, Tony Bennet, etc. Slicing/cutting large amounts of vegetables should be Seal followed by Santana's Abraxas. I hope this helps.

StephN
06-28-2008, 01:34 PM
So, how is everyone coming with their gardening this year?
This is for You, Bill, to show you that it is not all ferns and pines here in the misty woods, though we have those too...

Everything is quite late this year due to cooler weather, but it is finally breaking into the high 80's today and may hit 90 tomorrow. It will be short-lived here, however.

Just wanted to show a couple of my early summer bounty that we can finally enjoy. My rose bushes are getting a healthy first bloom and the strawberries are good eating now. Lilies, raspberries, etc. are on their way.

PinkGirl
06-28-2008, 04:09 PM
We've had a cool, rainy Spring and everything is
late. The lilac trees are still in bloom and should be finished by now.

harrie
06-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Nice StephN!
Also, like your selection of cookn music BBB...Marley and Santana!!
I have been talking, talking, talking about starting a veg garden. Have never gardened in my life but really want to give it a try.

But...we are going to bbq tonight and speaking of veggies I do have a good suggestion for the bbq: You cut up and toss with EVOO and whatever seasonings you like: onions, zuchini, mushrooms, cherry tomatos, peppers, and then I put them in this bbq pan and throw it over the fire. Turns out GREAT!! Kinda like a shishkabob without the stick!

Harriecanarie

Bill
06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow, Steph, that is a beautiful rose and some deliscious-looking strawberries. You definitely have a green thumb. Thanks for sharing!

PinkGirl
06-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey Bill

I was meaning to ask you about the cookin music.
Why do you listen to Canadian music when you make
soup or stew? Just wonderin, eh?

ElaineM
06-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi,
I started a garden about a month ago, but I can't figure out what my arugula plant wants. Does arugula like full sun, partial sun, a cool place or a hot place? How much water does it want?
I have a little struggling basil, arugula, some radishes, a tiny cherry tomato plant, some rosemary, some chives, some green onions, one garlic and a couple leeks. I also have an aloe plant and a Christmas cactus. We use aloe for minor skin burns in our part of the world. Some Asians here take it in warm water it minor constipation or stomach aliments. I haven't tried that though.
I have a funny story about leeks. I planted the bottoms of some leeks I got a the supermarket in some potting soil in a plastic container and they started growing. My Canadian aunt who is really into gardening said it couldn't be done and I wasn't doing it properly, but the leeks have been growing pretty fast. I need to take some photos to send to her. Smile.
Is there anything else I can plant in plastic pots in a hot, kind of humid sunny climate?

Bill
06-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Elaine, carrots, Oregano, swiss chard, and spinach does well in pots also. Pinkie, here in Va, I like to cook soups and stews when it's cold and miserable outside, and there's frost on the windows, so I guess without realizing it, I just gravitated toward earthy, folksy, Canadian-type tunes. Harriecanarie, you really should start a garden. Just start with a few plants and pots/plots and work your way up if you feel like it. Most people go crazy early in the spring and work themselves have to death and then by mid-summer, they're sick of it and wind up with too many plants and a lousy-looking garden. Just go out tomorrow and get some 5-10 gallon pots and some potting soil and a pack or 2 of seeds and do it. Don't even think about, just do it.

harrie
06-29-2008, 04:53 PM
It that IT???? I just need the 5 - 10 gal pots, soil and seeds? Wow, if it is THAT easy, I will do just that! Will go out next weekend and get started!

Bill
06-29-2008, 05:09 PM
It is that easy, Harrie, just go do it. You don't need to plant a hundred acres and slave in the hot sun all day, just a bucket or two of greens, and when they come in, just go out on the porch and snip a few here and there with a pair of scissors and throw it in your salad. Actually, Harrie, my "people" are steering me to Alaska real soon, but after that I'm free for a month or so. I've got a real sweet sea kayak, and some close buds in San Diego, so after my Alaska trip, I could throw some rich VA soil and a few pots and seeds aboard and just paddle it all out to you, if that would help. Just let me know, Bill

harrie
06-29-2008, 05:46 PM
BBB, so you get to go to both Alaska and then San Diego? Awesome!
Hawaii (and CA) both have some very strict ag restrictions. One day.....a few yrs ago, we have this lichee tree growing in our yard (also grow Mountain Apple, pineapples, oranges, tangeringes, lemons, limes, pamalo,) I did not plant these and I don't do a thing to the trees other then pick the fruit when I feel like it, so I was not kidding when I said I have never grown anything dispite the fact that we have all this growing in our yard. ANYWAYS...to get on with my story, we had a bumper crop of lichee so I wanted to send a small sample to my aunt in Calif. So I picked this small tiny branch with maybe 3 -4 lichee on it so she could sample it and after I mailed it out, I got this notice from the ag inspector at the PO that said they confiscated the fruit (was smelled out by their dog) and were fining me $100.00 for trying to mail it out to CA without having it agriculturally inspected!
What do you think of THAT!!??

Bill
06-29-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm sorry, Harrie, that sounds messed up. I'm not sure what a lichee plant is, but next time you want to send some to your aunt, take a few snips, wrap them in a moist paper towel, and then put that in a zip-lock bag. Then, tape the zip-lock bag to the left side of your face with gauze and medical tape. From your computer, print out a card which you carry with you that says, "I am an experimental TMJ patient. I cannot speak", and then just fly the Lichee to your aunt in CA. You won't have any trouble, but if you do, just flash the card. Trust me, it will work.

Becky
06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
All greens like sunny coolness. Usually in NJ (where we have the 4 distinct seasons) greens are planted in early April and are done now (although I still have some Swiss chard but that goes during the long weekend and I will plant some pole beans then).

Can't give any advice on root vegetables because I have never done them, ever - except for carrots.

This year the flowers are great. In my veggie garden I did mesclun greens, spinach, romaine and Swiss chard (all done but the chard. I have about 7 heads of romaine left in the frig). I will start pole beans in a couple of days. I have 13 tomato plants (different kinds) and 12 pepper plants (all different), acorn squash, cucumbers, thyme, oregano, basil and parsley.

I love this time of year even though its been really hot early.

ElaineM
06-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will move the greens, to a sunny, but cooler location.
My friend who lives on Oahu gave me some lychee. Sweet with lots of juice!! Yum. Yum. I heard they are healthy too. Sorry to hear about your experience with the ag folks Marrianne. Those people should let small amounts of fresh goodies meant for personal consumption go through. I guess they want to segregate pests. You should be able to grow a few veggies in your yard in Hilo Marriane.

harrie
06-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Elaine...Thanks for the correction...it is lychee, not lichee!
The fruit industry is so huge in CA, that they don't want to take any risks. Hmmm.....what about the fruit from other states on the mainland or Mexico, yea???

Becky and Elaine, are you growing your in pots or in the ground?

Where we live use to be a sugar plantation area, so in contrast to most places on the Big Island that is mostly lava with minimal dirt, our property is fortunate to have lots of dirt.

Maryanne

ElaineM
06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi,
Marrianne, you should be able to grow things if you live near sugar cane lands and your place has alot of dirt.
I have had fresh veggies from the Big Island which were delicious.
I went to the Star Market Garden Shop and bought a few of the biggest plastic pots I could find. Then I got some organic potting soil and a couple packages of seeds. I also bought a couple plants already started for $1.29 each. My friend who has one of those rented city garden plots near the Ala Wai Canal gave me a couple other things to plant. I have my plants in the big pots in front of my living room window, but I think I will move the arugula to a sunny, but cooler location. I am anxious to get more, but I want to wait and see how successful I am first. I will go to City Mill or Home Depot to see what they have next. Good luck. Let us know how your garden is coming along.

harrie
06-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks Elaine and Bill,
Am very anxious to give my hand at growing veggies. I think I will be super excited when I see my very first crop of whatever I decide to grow. I plan to go out maybe on 4th of July and get started!!!!
Thanks for your help. Oh...do I need to get fertilizer?
Maryanne

StephN
06-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Yes, get some organic compost to mix in with the garden dirt and some bone meal or something as a growth booster.

Get plants that are not TOO small as these need a lot of tending to get going.

I think they also have Miracle Grow for vegetable gardens and that way you can really impress your neighbors!

My Dahlia area in my back garden is starting to look like something now, but it will be a while before I get flowers in late summer. I planted a little "patch" of tubor varieties and put a brick border around it.

karen z
06-30-2008, 06:54 PM
o.k., Harrie,
I will get started this week too. So far, I have only purchased a few organic herb plants at Whole Foods and they are hanging out in my kitchen. I will now get more serious about growing things, with all of this inspiration (including Steph's beautiful pictures).
karen

harrie
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Yes, Sheila, PinkGirl and Steph all posted some great pics!! So Let's GO Karen!! Maybe someday everyone can see my cute little fresh cherry tomatoes!!!

karen z
07-01-2008, 04:27 AM
o.k., Harrie,
I am in- I start this Friday too!!
And a trip to Hawaii to view crops sounds good to us all!
karen

swimangel72
07-01-2008, 07:15 AM
So Harrie - HERE's where you got your start on the cherry tomato plants! Lol! Good luck everyone with your plants. As to shipping fruit to the mainland, well, I like Bill's idea about taping a baggy to your cheek to get through inspection - only knowing my luck, I'd be stopped anyway and turned back without a signed form from my doctor proving I had TMJ. "Murphy's Law" seems to dominate my life these days!

harrie
07-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Yea that Bill always has the best ideas. Mr Smartypants...

I do have another idea though!! Since I had the DIEP with reconstructed nipples...I can tape to my DIEP breasts and say it is just my new nipples!! 2 lychee is plenty enough for my aunt to sample!! hahahahaha!!!

Karen, what are you planning on planting to start out?
And it would be great to have everyone over here to see Hawaii and have a good time!!

Have a great day everyone...off to work now!!

karen z
07-01-2008, 01:20 PM
yikes,
i am not sure. but i want more organic herbs and some organic vegetables (i don't even know whether it is too early or late for various types!!) and i think that i am going to buy some shade plants (a lot of shade in my backyard).
i hope i don't kill things immediately.
karen

Sheila
07-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Harrie
I remember well when I lived in Northern California, and would smuggle fruits and veggies from Oregon...the fruit fly police were vicious...you must be clever....are the Lychee like a nut/fruit....the ones the people in Thailand and Vietnam use on their teeth? You being a dental hygenist must know this!!!
Just be glad you are smuggling lychees on your dieps and not coconuts!

Jackie07
07-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Sheila,

Were you talking about 'bin-lang'? A fruit from the coconut tree and people in southeast Asia chew on it and spit out? (red like blood because of the ingredient inserted in it) No, Lychee is a juicy, sweet fruit. It has red, thin, rough skin (when ripe), very, very sweet, juicy white meat wrapping around a nut. It is bigger than a cherry tomato.

In Chinese medicine, Lychee is classified as a 'hot' food. It means that if you eat too much of it, you can get nose bleed. A famous story about lychee says that the most beautiful woman of the emporer's court in the Tang Dynasty liked to eat Lychee. The Emporer would send out runners (on horses) to southern China to bring back fresh Lychee to the palace when it's in season. This was the same princess who would rarely smile. After she had smiled one time when she heard the sound from the accidental tearing up of someone's silk sleeve, the emporer ordered maids around her to tear up silk cloth just so he could see her smile.

So, go out and get some lychee. Enjoy it as the most spoiled princess once did!

harrie
07-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Jackie, is that fruit you are talking about from SE Asia what they bcall the beetle nut? It stains the teeth ferociously!! A hygienist's nightmare. TG we hardly see it!
So Sheila, Jackie explained about the lychee, so I won't have to.

GUESS WHAT EVERYONE....I planted my very first crops today...cherry tomatoes and lettuce! Can't wait to see my first crop!!

Maryanne

ElaineM
07-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Congratulations Maryanne. Let us know how your cherry tomatoes and lettuce grow. What kind of lettuce did you plant? So far my best veggies have been leeks, green onions and chives. I also had some sprouts. I am waiting on the cherry tomatoes, basil and other things I planted. I have enough leeks to share with the neighbors!! Good thing, because they are so expensive in the store. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Bill
07-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Elaine, if you have that many leeks, you should call a plumber.

Becky
07-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Okay - so how are the gardens doing?

I harvested all of the remaining swiss chard on the weekend and I (actually my husband) put up a trellis and I (really me0 planted some pole bean seeds. All of the different varieties of tomatoes have set fruit but nothing is ready yet. Almost all of the peppers have fruit. Most turn red or orange when ripe but I picked a bunch of green peppers for last night because I made pepper and onion enchiladas and needed them. I had a couple of small jalapenos too. All the herbs are pickable (parsley, oregano, thyme and basil). We have had about 10 cucumbers too. Still eating greens (probably 2-3 heads of 2 week old romaine that is still good and the chard). We are waiting for the yellow, red and zebra tomatoes though. It is the best garden treat.

The flowers are doing well too. Deadheading to keep everything looking good.

How are your gardens?

harrie
07-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Elaine,
The lettuce package just says: Lettuce and under that it says Anuenue. It was packaged by Univ of Hawaii.
Tlhe pic on the pkg looks like Manoa lettuce.

When you say you planted sprouts...do you mean like bean sprouts?

Maryanne

MJo
07-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Tomatoes are still green, except plum tomatoes on plant my brother gave me in a pot. They have end rot. Eggplant blossoms dried up and fell off. Celery looks good. Vegetables drive me crazy! I prefer flowers.

ElaineM
07-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Maryanne
Manoa lettuce sounds good. Yum Yum. I think I will get some seeds later. If the lettuce and other veggies are packed by UH they must be things that will grow well in our climate.

ElaineM
07-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi Bill,
You are funny.

ElaineM
07-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi Maryanne,
The Anuenue lettuce is Manoa lettuce. I asked my friend who has been growing veggies for years. Where did you get your UH college of tropical agriculture seeds?

harrie
07-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Elaine, we got it from Farmer's Exchange. A family-owned gardening shop.
Maryanne

harrie
07-13-2008, 06:45 PM
UPDATE on Maryanne's garden:
I have been watering twice a day and yesterday I noticed 5 little spouts from my tomato pot!! They are like 1/2 inch in ht.
Can anyone tell me when I might be able to see my first tomato?
Maryanne

Bill
07-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Maybe 60-70 days to maturity. Not sure if maybe it's faster in Paradise, but that's what it takes here. You go girl!

ElaineM
07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Mahalo Maryanne. Farmer's Exchange!! We are all going to be eating healthier food very soon. I am still eating leeks, green onion, sprouts and chives, but no tomatoes yet. I am thankful Bill told us how long they take. I am going to plant the leafy things in the fall when Honolulu is not quite as hot. Your climate is a little different in Hilo, so you will have lettuce before me.

juanita
07-25-2008, 08:09 PM
okay, i planted the indian corn i bought last year at the store and have several stalks of it. do i let it dry out like they do when they take the corn out of the fields? or how do i know when it's ready? never planted anything other than tomatoes before, at least as far as food goes. i have all kinds of flowers and inside plants

StephN
08-09-2008, 06:14 PM
OK, all you Mary, Mary, quite contrarys.
How is the Hawaiian lettuce and other container gardens going??
We heard things were planted - and how about harvests?

A very weird year, weatherwise, here. Lots of baby pears on the tree then they suddenly all fell off and we have nothing. Do have some apples, tho. Scanty number of blueberries and the birds got most of those.

BUT - it is a bumper crop of raspberries! Strawberries were also good. We have never had SO MANY raspberries. We thought we thinned them real well in the spring, but they LIKED that, I guess.

Flowers have been a little late. These ivy geraniums are happily blooming now that I moved them. I get that many raspberries twice a day ... been freezing a bag a day! That being after the birds and squirrels get their share ...

Becky
08-09-2008, 07:20 PM
This year it has been hot but rainy. I finally have tomatoes that are ready (and this is late for NJ). I have several red varieties and 2 yellow varieties. The zebra tomato plant has fruit but is not ready. Lots and lots of peppers and finally 2 are yellow and one is orange (the lots and lots are still green so I can use them and I just leave them so they will ripen). Cukes were abundant (21 in one day) but are very slow now. I have 3 acorn squash plants and I think a squash borer got one of them as it is wilting a quick death. This is a common bug disease for me no matter where in NJ I've lived. I have lived here (3rd summer now) and never planted squash here so I guess that's the end of the line for me with it.

The herbs are great (parsley, different kinds of basil and oregano. The thyme was great earlier then flowered and is now back again. Thyme is best in the Spring when the plant comes back from the dead). The flowers and lawn are wonderful. I can't say more about both. I guess the rain is what really did it (and I think it is what really delayed the tomatoes). No pole beans yet but they should come in about 2 weeks. I planted these late. If I really do lose the one (or all 3) acorn squash plants, I will put in a fall crop of lettuce.

Garden's good but I will have late tomatoes (and spaghetti sauce) this year and maybe no squash:(

harrie
08-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Mary, Mary, quite contrary???
How hsa my garden grown?
silver bells and cocker shells
but as of yet very bushy tomato plants but no tomatoes
lettuce is maybe 4 inches high...getting there, and I have about 6 or 7 lettuces.
Everyday they seem to grow at least an inch!!
Lots of nice rain and good sunshine.

harrie
08-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Steph, your raspberries are sooooo nice!!! I would LOVE to grow that!
Last wk we got our first pineapple and lichee of the season! Both were very sweet and juicy!!
Maryann e

ElaineM
08-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Those rasberries do look delicious. Too bad we just have to look and can't sample them. Do you have any recipes that include rasberries. Hang in there Maryanne. You will enjoy a nice fresh salad from your garden soon.

ElaineM
08-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I just saw the post from StephN. I still have leeks :).
I also enjoyed green onions, a few radishes, chives, lots of different kinds of sprouts and even a little baby bok choy. A friend gave me some from her garden and I planted the roots. I have some more green onions to plant today or tomorrow. The arugula didn't make it and I don't have tomatoes yet. I will plant some leafy things in the fall when my location on Oahu has cooler sunny weather. Too bad you can't share the rasberries and ivy geraniums with us. How about some photos? I am sorry to hear some of your things didn't make it. I guess we learn from our gardening experiences.

PinkGirl
09-15-2008, 06:18 AM
I had to pick everything yesterday because the temperature is
really dropping through the night now. This is my largest green
pepper. :)504

harrie
09-15-2008, 09:58 AM
As you may or may not recall, I just started a veg garden for the first time in my life about 6 mo ago. Well now, we have planted: 2 kinds of lettuce, cherry tomatoes, reg big tomatoes, spinach, snap peas, string beans, bell peppers, grn onions which are looking like chives, bok choy, and I think that's it. Most are still seedlings, but the butter lettuce has really taken off and we are eating that already. I need to get a photo program so I can reduce pics and get them on this site.

Bill
09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
That sounds awesome Harriecanarie. It sounds like you definitely have a green thumb!

ElaineM
04-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I am wondering how many gardeners are left from last year or how many of you have started your spring gardens again?
I took a break over the holidays, but I have started up again with spinach, oregano, rosemary, aloe, leeks,Christmas cactus, lawai fern, and a Hawaiian cactus. I have some bittermelon, chico and other herb seeds to plant. I also want to plant another leafy green vegetable. Any ideas for a sunny location?

vickie h
04-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi Elaine,
I am the school gardener for my youngest grandson's class and we just harvested leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, celery and all the rest of the many lettuces. We're now putting in 10 kinds of tomatos, carrots, beets, peppers, squash, cukes and bok choy. Since my husband and I live in a condo, I have to grow tomatos, squash and cucumbers in big pots out on the back patio. Your garden sounds amazing! Yummmm.....
Love, Vickie

Brenda_D
04-17-2009, 04:46 PM
I've spent the last few days out back in the flower garden.
I couldn't do much last year, but am trying to this year.
I've been moving some daylilies to a better spot, and planting more berries. I planted a few strawberries last year and just today I saw the first flower bud on one. I was so thrilled! It doesn't take much to make me happy when it comes to gardening. I have some gold and black raspberry plants, and just added a few reds a couple weeks ago.
I'll take some photos to post later on, for those that enjoy those things.
I also have a new hobby. I started last year and am expanding a little this year. It's beekeeping! It's really neat to harvest your own honey, and I enjoy just sitting outside and watching the young bees take their first flights.

ElaineM
04-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Vickie and Brenda,
Your gardens sound amazing too. How wonderful that we can grow some different things in different parts of the U. S. I would love to see photos. How did you get into Bee keeping Brenda? I grow my plants in pots, because I live in an apartment. I think I am going to have to add another level under the shelf by the window for more plants. I choose larger plants this year that take up more space.

Brenda_D
04-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Beekeeping is something I wanted to do before I got sick.
I wanted to go ahead and try it last spring, and now am adding a new hive. It just goes with the flowers, nature and back to the land thing.

ElaineM
04-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Fresh honey !! Yum!! I wish I were there.
I just added some beets. I am running out of pots, cuttings, seeds and potting soil, so I have to wait to get some before I plant more.

sassy
04-18-2009, 11:39 PM
We are having a garden this year, after not having one the past two years. My "adopted" son from Senegal is going to garden with us. He is into organic, so we'll be learning a lot this year.
Too early to plant much, but will probably do some onion sets this week.

harrie
04-19-2009, 09:25 PM
our veg garden pretty much got wiped out by all the rain. For all the month of March, we only had 2 days of no rain.

Bill
04-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi Gang! I'm getting all geared up for my Connecticut garden. The soil here is rich and I've got some nice sunny spots picked out. Elaine, maybe try some Swiss Chard. It's easy to grow and does well in containers. It looks and tastes rich in nutrients, like a spinach, and as you snip what you need, it re-grows. I tried a basement garden here throughout this past winter, but only greens did well. I didn't want to heat the basement and the temp. down there was around 55 degrees, so I think that was a factor. I looking forward to a nice season of spinach, swiss chard, banana peppers, jalapenos, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, and all kinds of tomatoes. Happy Gardening!

PinkGirl
04-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey Bill

Is it Spring???

ElaineM
04-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Your gardening plans sound excellent Bill. I will try some Swiss chard.
I got some more pots yesterday. The things I planted are doing well. I have to get some sticks to hold things straight though. Things are starting to crawl all over the place. Wouldn't be nice if they just crawled into the kitchen? Ha ha. Does anybody know how to take care of a Christmas catus so that is produces flowers? Mine hasn't produced flowers in the 3 years I have had it even though it looks healthy.

Bill
04-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Hello Lady Pink! I think maybe this year we should all get together and agree when spring actually starts. I tried to take charge of spring all by myself last year and I seem to recall that it didn't work out too well. Can't remember all the details........

StephN
04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
I let spring start when I have more plants coming up than weeds!

Right now the plants have a slight edge, but it is a battle between me and the dandelions. I have some with roots a good 6 to 10" long! Hard to pull those suckers ... I don't use herbacide.

Jackie07
04-28-2009, 05:13 PM
"During this season of rebirth and renewal, take a few moments to consider spring cleaning. Not just your home, but also your thoughts, emotions and overall well- being. After a long winter, a good spring cleaning can lift your spirits, and open your mind to new experiences, and new possibilities for joy and containment.

First, find a way to sort out the old, negative thoughts that are no longer working for you; write them down in a journal or notebook; share your thoughts with your family or try meditating upon them in a quiet place.

If you choose to write your thoughts down, after sufficient time, put them away, rip them up, throw them out - let them go. On the other hand, if you prefer to keep them as a record of your life's journey, you can revisit them later for a reminder of how far you have come.

Then, look for a new activity or hobby that better suits this season of renewal. Plant some new seeds of change, figuratively or literally. Granted there are certain things we can't change, but others are just habits. Often, an unfamiliar experience or activity can provide motivation and inspiration. Come out of hibernation, and experience something new!

Examples:

* Subscribe to a new magazine
* Work on a jiggsaw puzzle - start easy
* Learn how to play Sudoku or a card game
* Select an author you like and read some of his/her books

Another option is to allow yourself experience something old in a new way. For example, old friendship can be renewed, old thoughts can be reframed, and old wounds can be reviewed through healing eyes for a fresh new perspective.

Of course after you are finished with your internal spring cleaning, treat yourself to a reward. Enjoy a luscious dessert, go to a matinee, take a walk in the spring fresh air. You deserve it!
After all cleaning, of any kind, is hard work."

American Brain Tumor Association, 2720 River Road, Des Plaines, IL 60018
TEL: 800.886.2282 Email: info@abta.org (info@abta.org)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© American Brain Tumor Association All Rights Reserved<O:p</O:p
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ElaineM
04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Good thinking Steph.

StephN
05-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Well , one thing I do well is grow happy Rhododendrons.

Can't eat it, but they are nice to look at. This one is over 20 years old and getting quite large. It is the early bloomer.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/customprofilepics/profilepic85_1.gif

chrisy
05-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Steph, is that rhodie taller than you????

StephN
05-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Chrisy -
Yes, that rhodie is beyond my reach to prune and deadhead the top now. I have kept it this "low" by selective pruning, but did not do such a good job in the worse years of my cancer fight.

We have a REALLY big one in the front that is cream with purple inside. It is a later bloomer. Red is next.

In the photo I was having a hard time with the sun in my face. It was very bright!

ElaineM
05-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Nice picture StephN

StephN
05-18-2009, 11:15 AM
OK - so how are we doing with the gardens, whether they be hanging, potted or in ground??

We know Harrie is not home so some critters may be getting to her lettuces.

How about the gals in the cooler north? Getting any interesting ideas for your "summer environment"??

My chore today is to finish fiddling with my Dahlia bulbs. There is a problem with lilac roots too close to where I had them last year. So, I have to shift some strawberry plants and maybe have the Dahlias in two "clumps" rather than one big splash of colors. Also did not dig up the Dahlia bulbs last year so lost about half due to the ground being too wet.

Today is sunny, tomorrow calls for rain ...

MJo
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Delaware is having a cool, rainy spring. I harvested great broccoli and swiss chard. Bleeding heart was beautiful and columbines are very fine this year. Rabbit already ate one pepper and one eggplant seedling; however there are a few leaves left on the stems and I think they will come back. How are your irises. Mine didn't last long. Are irises usually short-lived, or is it the weather.

Jackie07
05-18-2009, 02:21 PM
My daffodills and peonies didn't bloom at all this year. The irises did well for a while. Roses did OK. And I am waiting for the plantain (canna indica) on the westside wall to bloom.

ElaineM
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I am hanging in there with my spring garden. I am getting some more potting soil tonight, so I can plant some Swiss Chard.

juanita
05-19-2009, 03:57 PM
dried out enough i could get my flower seeds in.

Bill
06-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Is it Spring yet? I hope so. I've planted a few plants of the following: tomatoes (diff. types of lg. and some grape tomatoes), green bell peppers, orange bells, sweet banana peppers (I had one bush in VA that gave me 100 peppers!), cucumbers, bok choy, spinach, swiss chard, radishes, carrots, zuchinni, squash, pumpkin, acorn squash. I still need to plant some beet and turnip seeds, and a bunch of mixed greens. I've got a new oregano bucket started here. Does anyone know if basil is a perennial, too? The oregano gets bigger and better each year, but right now, the basil is just growing in the kitchen window. I'm not a good herb farmer. Hope y'alls gardens are fruitful. (by the way, Steph, dandelion greens, I'm sure you know, are edible and very rich in nutrients. Much like chard and spinach)

StephN
06-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Yes, Bill, my hubby is a Frenchman and reminds me that they do eat dandelion greens. But theirs are different and taste better. He does not eat ours!

Basil is an annual as far as I know. But I usually harvest all of mine and there is nothing left to try to bring back.

Just came in from picking a heap (actually about a 1/2 gallon) of strawberries from my long patch. Came back from my trip to find there had not been a drop of rain the whole time I was in Italy! Having record dry and heat for June. So that is good as the first pick of the strawberries is normally a bit tart from the damp, cool weather. Not the case, they smell so good!

Going to fix some fruit dessert with some of the berries and melon in a little sweet wine. Yum!

ElaineM
06-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I can practically smell those lovely strawberries over here !!

PinkGirl
06-16-2009, 01:14 PM
This is my swiss chard. I tried to get my head underneath it ... like
Bill did .... no go ....

Bill
06-16-2009, 03:40 PM
LOL! Wow, Pinkie, you're gonna have a nice supply of Swiss Chard soon. When Spring hits Canada, that stuff'll really take off.

Joe
06-16-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't know if this qualifies as a garden but I've been busy: Top=Before Bottom: After

Believe51
06-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh, yes it does qualify Joe, spectacular job. I think you need to take a respite after that landscaping job so you are rested enough to do my yard. Gorgeous yard Joe!!>>Believe51

Bill
06-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah, Joe, I think that qualifies! Nice job!

Believe51
06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
My Mother's prized roses, she planted them with me in mind and will give them to me one at a time as needed. Mom calls me spoiled but it is no fault of my own, it is she that created a monster (smirking)!!

ElaineM
06-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Nice looking spring chard. Beautiful garden !!!!!!!!!!

MJo
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Believe....I have been caring for my deceased father's roses since 2002. I agree with whoever said Roses aren't plants. They're pets. It think this is the first year I haven't been afraid of the roses. They're doing fine. They have black spot. One looks spindly. I don't care any more. I have added many plants to the garden, but not one rose.Demanding, difficult little things!!

juanita
06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
wow i like it!

Believe51
06-19-2009, 07:17 PM
MJo, you are going to need an herbicide for that 'black spot' and there are many organic ones to chose from. As for them being spindly, try to cut them back now they are doing well but keep enough green on them so they can flourish. Also I have found that the more care you give these 'pets' (hahaha) before the bedding down for winter, the worse they do. In the fall just cover them lightly with mulch or hay and let the winter beat them up, they love that! My Mother-in-Law could grow anything in cement, she was amazing. One winter my Daddy lost all his rose bushes because he covered them too well with mulch then plastic buckets. They need a rough winter to blossom well in the summer and can get to hot during the fall and winter. I admire that you are caring for your Daddy's roses and hope that you can save them. Black spot is easy to rid if you keep up with it. Are you fertilizing them each year?? Sometimes a rose will have a hard time. Spread out the fertilizer and water it down more than the normal recommendations. Let me know how they do for the rest of the summer and we will make sure you can keep those roses, which are prized too. Do not be afraid of these guys, tell them who is boss.>>Believe51

Believe51
06-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Check out these petals........

Believe51
06-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know anything about the 'Sourwood Tree'? It is a ever-changing leaf coloring with like a grape-cluster flowering blossom. Ed and I have planted one at our burial site and it is simply spectacular.

We had to have the caretaker plant it and it has not even been in the ground there for more than a year. This spring we noticed that part of a lower branch did not grow leaves, that part is dead of course. It also has a mold on it that most trees get no matter how great the care.

I am not so sure the cemetary caretaker knows how to care for it. During the evening some night I plan to address the branch if he does not. If it dies they will replace it once more. Problem is they are not caring for it properly and I am getting pee'd off now.

I will try to take a picture of the fungus, it is the green 1-2" circular mold/fungus I speak of.

What can I do??

Terri B
07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Dang storm last week nearly took out my corn! But today, it's standing straight and tall again! It's amazing how resilient it is!

in the foreground are my 'maters, in the back back are the green beans, in between, is my huge cuc patch. *not pictured here* is the HUGE watermelons and a much smaller cantelope patch.

This is my first year for a garden. I guess it helps that my husband grew up a farmers son!

Bill
07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Hey, that's a nice looking garden Terri. The one and only time I tried to grow corn it all fell over, so I went out there and staked it back up, stalk by God-forsaken stalk, individually, thinking, "Damn, I must be a bad corn-farmer. Nobody has to stake their corn. What's up with that?"

chrisy
07-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Bill,

I tried corn several times with mixed success. One year we got a mole in the garden (the animal, not a spy) and he tunneled under the entire row of corn so the roots were dangling in a big hole...just before they keeled over.

But there was another time where I had such a great crop and literally would get the water boiling then go pick the corn and RUN to put it in the pot!

Yum!

Terri B
07-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Yeah Bill, that was the SECOND storm that had knocked my corn down. It's AMAZING that it has come back TWICE without stakes! *snicker*

It's a lot of work, though. My husband felt like he needed to plant a half-acre garden, and he's gone all week (truck driver) so its up to me to harvest and water every two days! I'm yielding a bushel of cucumbers every two days! WHEW! The sweat is rolling!

You'd think I'd lose some of this caboose, but NO SUCH LUCK>:

Terri B
07-21-2009, 08:55 AM
I have this HUGE watermelon patch with at LEAST 2 dozen watermelons growing that are the size of volleyballs or larger. problem is, this being my first garden year, i'm having problems knowing when they are ripe. I have picked two so far, cut them open, and they were white! :(. So, now i waited until the little curly thingy opposite the vine turned brown and crusty, and i picked another one! This one sits in my fridge and i'm scared to cut it! I hope it's ripe!

suzan w
07-21-2009, 09:34 AM
thump the watermelons with your knuckles...if it resonates like a good drum...ripe, if it thuds...not That's what the "old timers" told me!!!

Terri B
07-21-2009, 09:37 AM
yeah, suzanne, I heard that one too and tried it on the first two! I'm tone deaf or something! (watermelon deaf?)

Bill
07-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Wish I could help, Terri, but I'm still trying to perfect the cantaloupe-smelling thing and eye-balling an avocado to see if they're ripe. Let me know what you find out about the watermelons!

StephN
07-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi - Terri, I don't have the "is it ripe" problem with my berries and fruits. But I feel your pain on the watermelon. Guy at the farmer's market said they will also be a bit soft at the stem area like other melons. I still like to "knock" on them. Your hubby really wanted to keep you busy this summer - 1/2 acre is more than our whole place!

Here are my pickings from Sunday. Blueberries about done as well as the strawberries. Raspberries - I get a cup or so every day - enough for us to eat in various ways.

NO comice pears this year - the trees were attacked with something that I have to find out about by taking some leaves to the nursery man. First year we have no pears. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon8.gif

ElaineM
07-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Boy Steph, your photos make me very hungry. I am still struggling along with the Swiss chard and other greens I started.

StephN
08-11-2009, 11:49 AM
So, what is the latest with everyone's gardens?
Terri - are you through eating all the corn & watermelons? Or do you have critters that get into them?

Bill's "leafy" adventures are on another thread.

The ladies in Hawaii hopefully have been able to harvest before the big rains hit.

The birds have been munching on the remainder of my raspberries. They get tired of the feed the lady next door puts out.

Having no rain to speak of for 60 days here, the ground is baked so hard that I have to just break the weeds off at the top. They went to seed much faster this year with the heat and sun. Dang! Got to get some more Preen. Weather brough my landscaping projects to a halt and yesterday the rain started. Hope to get my new plants in by week's end!

Bill
08-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I've got plenty of cucumbers rolling in, with some squash and zuchinni (enough for a few side dishes per week). In another week or so we should have dozens of ripe tomatoes for fresh eating and some home-made salsa. Got a few nice sweet banana pepper plants producing well. Can't keep up with the radish planting right now, so that's tapering off. (You should plant more radish seeds every week as it only takes 4-5 weeks for them to mature). Containers give us enough spinach and chard and mustard greens to supplement salads and cooked greens. I can't wait for my acorn squash to mature. I'm not a good carrot farmer, but I've got some almost ready to pluck. I might plant parsnips next year. I just tried some for the first time a few weeks ago and loved them. How's your garden?

Terri B
08-12-2009, 12:29 PM
I am still picking tons of cucumbers. I'm starting to get the hang of the watermelon picking and cantelopes too. Some guy at work said I had very nice melons! ;)

We've had so much rain down here that I haven't had to water since sometime in early July! It's crazy, but it is making bad tomatoes. they split open before they get good.

ElaineM
08-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I moved my plants in containers into a protected area in case the hurricane arrived, but all we got was rain here on Oahu. I am going shopping tomorrow for more starter plants and seeds. We are lucky over here, because we can have two crops in the year. I wonder how Harrie's garden is over there on the Big Island?

vickie h
08-14-2009, 07:44 PM
We've picked tons of tomatos so far. The squash is doing good but not a big yield so far and the cukes are delicious. I'm going to the farmer's market to get everything else since I grow in containers or pots.

Love,
Vickie

ElaineM
08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
I know it is not spring, but I live in Hawaii where we can plant almost all year long. I finally got some seeds that I will be putting in big containers with fresh potting soil this week.
The new selection is Pak Choy, Spinach, Manoa Lettuce,
Shiso, and Green Onions. I will let you know what happens to this crop at a later date.

Bill
09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
I've planted butternut squash this year. How do you tell if they're ready to pick?

harrie
10-19-2009, 11:51 PM
We have butter lettuce, grn onions, corn, cilantro, egg plant, spinach, and I think that is about it. Not much luck with the tomatoes. Oh yes and we do have papaya, longon (which is a variety of lichee) and jabotekava. (these are all fruits)

StephN
10-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Yesterday was the LAST local farmer's market of this year. I can go a little farther away on Sat. mornings and see some of my fav farmers til Dec., but the parking is not very plentiful at that location. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon9.gif

Stocked up on some fall greens, heirloom tomatoes, heirloom potatoes (the guy grows about 18 different kinds!), asian and bosc pears, and last of the decent eggplant.

Got two kinds of fingerling potatoes to roast with sweet organic carrots. Can make a big pan and keep some for another night.

chrisy
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Steph you have made me really hungry...

I think I'm going to plant some garlic this weekend. It will go well with, well everything!

Joe
10-30-2009, 06:07 PM
We had about 100 figs, a few tomatos and some middle eastern squash.

No avacados, I have to plant another tree in the spring so that they can cross pollinate.

Joe

Bill
03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Welp, I think it's a good time to start spring! Usually, Pinkgirl is in charge of it, but this year I'm wresting control of the season again....with a question...Now bear with me, Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm the kind of person who only likes to pay for things once, if at all. In the winter, when I'm done cooking a meal in the oven, I leave the oven door cracked open to help warm the house. I've already paid to heat the oven, so the leftover heat is FREE, right? I can hear some of you now, "Bill, you're a tight-wad!" Been hearing that my whole Life. But, honestly, I'm merely frugal. Here's my new dilemna- for some time now, I've watched as my basement sump-pump sorta floods/irrigates a portion of my yard and it's really got me worked up. I sez to myself, "Bill, you've already paid to pump that water over to that part of the yard. All you're doing is growing better grass. You should plant a water-loving edible garden over there." I quickly agree with myself, but I'm not sure what to plant. Any ideas? Maybe rice?

Jackie07
03-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Rice needs a lot of water. Yeah, go for it.

StephN
03-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Now you have me thinking, Bill. How about putting in a nice water feature and using the water for that? Maybe a pond?

Some kinds of berries like "wet feet" and you don't need go so far as creating a BOG.

I also leave the oven door open as ours is an open type kitchen and we have lots of single pane windows that let the heat out!

I am recovering from "yard work back" that I gave myself getting up close and personal with a lot of weeds this weekend.

Trimmed down the raspberry patch 10 days ago and the canes are already shooting leaves. Blueberry bushes are also getting tiny leaves.

harrie
03-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Bill, two suggestions:
you might want to consider growing hydroponically and secondly would be to make a compost for recycling.

Dont ask me any questions about that though because I have never done either one and I know little, close to nothing about each. hahaha! so maybe it's not that great of and idea. Who knows?! Prob not me!! hahaha!@!!

Jackie07
03-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Harrie,

So good to hear your laughter again. Where have you been?

Bill,

Be very careful about cracking the oven door open... Ever heard of Carbon Monoxide? It can be fatal... [That's the reason why it rhymes with 'pesticide' and 'fungicide'... :)]

PinkGirl
03-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Hey Bill
Thanks for taking over Spring this year ... you guys would get tired
waiting for me to chime in ... it's still kind of frosty here.

I like your idea of recycling your sump pump water. Just some
suggestions: if the outside pipe is above ground you can re-route
it and put that water anywhere you want ... I extended the pipe with
some solid weeping tile and then dug a little trench and buried it ... the
water now travels across part of the yard to where I want it to go ..
I use the word "I" very loosely ... my husband did this as per my instructions.

As for plants that like tons of water: tomatoes, cucumbers, squash,
zucchini ...

Happy planting ... I'll let you know when our snow is gone.

Henny
03-23-2010, 07:26 AM
There was a great article in the NY Times a few weeks ago about a guy who had a hydroponic garden. He also had tapilla (?sp) the fish, in the water part. The fish fertilized the hydroponic plants and after the system was going he ate the fish and the veggies that they had fertilized. Looked like a lot of work but fascinating

Becky
04-02-2010, 01:28 PM
I am taking Monday off and putting in the seeds for my greens (swiss chard, spinach, romaine and mesclun).

If you like other cool loving veggies - broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, peas can all be put in too (for zone 6)

StephN
04-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Enjoy the day, Becky - hope the weather will cooperate.

Bill - Do you know about "Rain Gardens?"

Here is a great website with various plans for creating such gardens:
http://www.lowimpactdevelopment.org/raingarden_design/whatisaraingarden.htm

Besides design guidelines, there is an area of the site with best plant lists for specific areas of the country.

karen z
04-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks Steph,
Looks like a useful site!
karen

juanita
04-03-2010, 07:02 PM
gotta do container gardens this year on my small little porch at my apartment. anybody done those before? what works either flowers or veggies?

Marlys
04-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Well, I've finally caught up. The garden has been rototilled, the compost spread(phew!), and the badgers have moved in next door. I hear they eat gophers so we won't kill them. Especially since I heard they are vicious I have decided they can live where ever they want. Do you remember the badger that chomped onto the guy's boot in the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy 2"? When I first noticed them there was only one and he was kinda cute! But yesterday I looked out and there were 4 of them. Pray for my safety this growing season!
If you look at the pictures I posted when TipToe and Tex were here you will see my yard backs onto the desert. (Yep. In Idaho we have desert!)
Love & hugs ,
Marlys
P.S. Bill, Ellenya is absolutely beautiful! Aren't Grandkids great?

ElaineM
04-22-2010, 08:58 PM
I decided to grow herbs this year. I have really gotten into using a wider variety of herbs in my cooking, so I would like to have nice fresh herbs for that.

Bill
04-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks Steph for the tip! And thanks Marlys! She is adorable. Grandkids are wonderful. Im going out today and plant some swiss chard, spinach and mustard green seeds in some containers I have.

Becky
04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Ok - planted my greens about 2 weeks ago (romaine, mixed greens,spinach and swiss chard) also planted carrots. Everything is popping. BEST news is that last fall's lettuce reseeded and I have lettuce that is ready to harvest (small but about 25 heads so...) it will last till the "babies" I planted start coming. Couple more weeks and seeds for squashes can go in and canteloupe too.
Then the coveted tomatoes and peppers. I'm psyched. I love the vegetable garden!

Marlys
05-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Planted tomatoes and peppers on May 16. The next day the rains came and the temperature dropped. Thank God for "walls of water". However, the rains continued, the temperature kept dropping and finally Saturday it snowed right down to the bottom of the hills. However, no damage to the crops. I say again "God takes care of fools and drunks", and I qualify on all counts.
Will plant cucumbers and zucchini this weekend.
Love & hugs,
Marlys

StephN
05-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Well, it is not officially summer yet, in fact we here have not gotten out of March as far as I can tell!

In spite of the chilly, damp, cloudy weather here in the Misty Woods, most of my roses ARE happy! This is Just Joey, and it has a wonderful scent to go with it's striking color.

And strawberry crop looks to be quite bountiful if it warms up enough for the berries to ripen...

StephN
06-03-2010, 07:18 PM
First Dragonfly of the season. Took this while visiting some public gardens in Austin, TX. They have a huge pond garden, and this one landed while I was going to photo some water lilies with interesting colors.

ElaineM
06-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Lovely Steph !!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing !!!!!

PinkGirl
07-06-2010, 09:18 AM
My 2010 apple.

StephN
07-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Oh, PinK! That is NOT funny, I know. My apple tree has NO apples this year. It also looks awfully sick ...

Jackie07
07-07-2010, 01:06 PM
My fig tree has doubled (or trippled) its size thanks to the ample rain (or drought?) The size of the figs also increased. And they are so juicy and sweet. (Used to be that if they were big because of the rain, they wouldn't be as sweet - I think the daily 'kichen waste water' feed helped.)

My deck is covered with 'wild' trees and vines which provide excellent shade to the south side of the house. Hubby has been mowing diligently this year - but I asked him to leave the stuff 'on' the deck alone. And I've been enjoying 'juicing' with the small purple grapes. They are so sour, I can see why ancient people figured out how to make wine with it. The juice made with Gatorade/apple juice tastes so much better than the fresh grapes which are too tangy to eat... [I planted it the same time my In-laws planted theirs many years ago. Have never seen any grapes on theirs. ?]

ElaineM
07-13-2010, 09:29 PM
The figs and the grape/apple juice sound wonderful Jackie. My mouth is watering for the bounty. If you have too many grapes you can freeze some of the juice to defrost and drink when they are not in season. I do that with seasonal fruits sometimes. Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!

Jackie07
07-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks. I'll try that. My late Mother-in-law used to make jams and jelly. I thought it over and didn't think I was capable of doing the same.

PinkGirl
08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I grew a French zucchini

Jackie07
06-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Record number of figs again. The fig tree has doubled its size again - now covering 1/6 of the back yard. I can see now how Adam and Eve might have been hiding behind the fig leaves. Already have several lunch boxes full of figs in the freezer. This afternoon I picked enough of them to fill a strainer...

The hot pepper plant had dried up during the winter freeze (a year ago?) Noticed a tiny sprout this spring, and now it's quite assertive about its own existence. Wondered if I need to cut down the old plant to give it more room. Kind of afraid of shaking/damaging its roots, though.

StephN
06-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Jackie your post about figs last year made me seriously consider getting a Bavarian Fig tree that should survive in our climate. But I got something else - not fruit bearing.

Just have to get figs at the market when they have some.

We DO have our usual crop of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.

StephN
06-27-2011, 12:38 PM
My BROADWAY rose bush is very happy and the flowers are as big as saucers!

This variety is also extremely fragrant. A complete package ...

ElaineM
06-28-2011, 10:46 AM
The figs sound delicious Jackie and I can practically smell the roses Steph. Lovely. I wish I was there in person to enjoy figs and roses.

Jackie07
06-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Pink,

Have you got any new 'French' Zukini? [Took me this long to figure out the creative picture you posted a year ago... :)]

Steph,

That 'huge' rose is beautiful...

Becky
06-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Garden is doing well this year. Swiss chard is great but the lettuce is almost done now.

I have the patty pan squash starting - love it then hate it. It is so prolific and just keeps on coming. A couple of baby tomatoes on some bushes but they have weeks to go. Wax beans should flower momentarily. Green italian beans were just planted (4 weeks after the wax beans so we are not inenated with beans). My peppers only do so-so in my garden and they seem the same this year. They are typically so easy to grow but not at this house (and I've moved them around as I have 3 different areas). I also have acorn squash but no flowers yet and herbs (basil, thyme and parsley). Not much else but good enough. 12 tomato plants as I do sauce and stuff. We'll see how it goes. Stay tuned.

Jackie07
07-02-2011, 03:11 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/264168_2228371835324_1428678521_32637280_510676_n. jpg

The wife/mother of my host family (26 years ago) took this picture last week on her trip with some friends to Breckenridge, CO. Anybody familiar with Lobella? This purple/blue lobella basket is simply stunning!

fauxgypsy
07-13-2011, 09:14 PM
My spring garden has morphed into a summer garden. I was out today in some of our record breaking heat cursing squash bugs (and squashing them). Days like this make me realize I would never be a good Buddhist. Haven't had rain for weeks. Finally rained buckets this afternoon. But out there in the heat while I was cutting my miserable little cabbages I found myself wondering what to plant next. It is an addiction. If I had a thousand acres I would probably try to plant it all. My grandaughter had to interview an "old" person recently and one of the questions she asked me was what do I collect. I thought for a minute and realized that I collect plants. So I found myself at the computer today scheming about what I could put in my fall garden.

StephN
07-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Faux - you are still the Garden Queen. Have your granddaughter call you a "person with many years of life experience."
That is what our grandson was told when he did our interview. Guess his teacher was a little more tactful!

P.S. You can have some of our damp and cool weather! At least it has been easy on the water bill, which usually goes up quite a bit around this time of year.

fauxgypsy
07-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Dale and I keep discussing how far we would have to travel to get to where it is cool. I have visited Washington state once but he has never seen the Pacific Northwest. It is beautiful though I believe I would miss the sunshine (but not the heat).

Jackie07
07-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Is that you and Dale (The Santa Clause) in the profile picture?

fauxgypsy
07-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Yes. We went to a Halloween party. He was "Bad Santa" and I was "Cookie." Santa loves cookies. ; ) I curled his beard and he carried a gigantic bottle of Jack Daniels, only it had tea in it.

Bill
09-04-2011, 07:44 PM
My garden was sorta beat this year. One thing, I didn't have enough time to work it this year, but it was a strange summer here this year. I saw fewer bees, not even any bumblebees and no snakes at all in my yard. Last year there was a snake every couple of steps. The first toad I saw was a few days ago. Awful late in the season. Not many turtles on the river, either. I don't use any pesticides or even any real fertilizer, relying mainly on compost and working the soil. I've talked to a few gardening friends this year and they said everyone had a lame garden. Anyone else having trouble? Observed anything unusual this year? Or is it just me and my sad garden. I did see a chipmunk running all around in one of my cherry tomato plants and raising hell. I think he's eating them 30 seconds before they get ripe enough to pick. I didn't know a chipmunk ate tomatoes, but I'm starting to suspect that they do. They're wiley little creatures. Any thoughts?

ElaineM
09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
I don't know how to solve your gardening problems Bill, but I wanted to say "hi" and better luck next year.
It could be the change in weather or climate this year.
Ever tried a small garden in pots that you can move away from Mr. Chipmunk? At least you would get some fresh veggies that way.
Take care.