PDA

View Full Version : Tamoxofen - fatty liver?

seahag
01-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi,

Has anyone had petscan (or other scan) showing fatty liver? I've never had issues before and was wondering
what that's all about. When I did a search on this, it
shows as a potential side effect from tamoxofen. Glad
to know it's not the herceptin http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

I was surprised at the percentage of women that are
effected.... didn't see this addressed on the board. Any-
one else have this finding?

Thanks,

AlaskaAngel
01-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Quite an interesting monniker you have there, seahag!

I am 5 years out, did CAFx6 then tamoxifen for just under 2 years. No further treatment other than rads. My liver function tests bobbed around in the mildly elevated range for several years. I had abdominal ultrasounds that showed likely hemangioma or cyst for years. Because of being HER2 and having vague discomfort on the liver side, my PCP also did a CT at about 2 years out and then again 2 years later, both of which were fine and did nothing to improve the discomfort to me or my wallet. I also saw a gastrodoc who said the same thing, and encouraged me to eat fruits and veggies and lose weight (The truth can be painful too. I lost 15 more pounds since then.) As time goes by, that side is still uncomfortable and when pressure is pushed on it (from lying on my side in bed, for example) it hurts more. It feels to me like the liver is getting too big to fit in there and is pushing out against the ribs.

Fatty liver is a fairly common diagnosis for middle-aged people and is just a guess unless it is diagnosed by liver biopsy, and since liver biopsies have risks to them the docs prefer to guess.

I do worry about it being cancer of course. (Gee whiz, I was always so darn healthy before diagnosis!) But by the time one gets to 5 years out one has to start counting the vast amount of radiation received along the way. I am now only scheduled for annual exams and labs, and I don't think that is going to be good enough so I am seeing my PCP to try to get at least labs every 6 months including markers and LFTs so at least those could provide some info to me about the liver and any changes happening in there.

All the common diseases of adults are harder to handle after a cancer diagnosis. I don't necessarily attribute the fatty liver to the tamoxifen in my case because it is so common in general with middle age anyhow.

Sympathetically,

AlaskaAngel

seahag
01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
You like that, eh? I've used that for some time now on various sites.

THAT IS AWESOME ... CONGRATS on the 5 years out. Woohoo!!

I didn't have this last year during petscan time. Yeah, I know middle syndromes. Nothings bothering me physically... my petscan was clear/NED but the onc mentioned this and told me not to worry about it (which of course, I did).

I'm 14 years out from lung cancer that I developed in my early 30s... so I hear 'ya about radiation, etc. It took me 10 years to not want to see my onc from that even though she basically told me I didn't have to see her after 5....

Nice chatting with you and thanks for the response!!!