PDA

View Full Version : Ports

Lin
01-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Can you use your Port when having a MUGA scan ?

Are there any times when you should definitely not use your port ?

KRISS
01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I have had two different kinds of muga scans. At two different places. One place refuses to use it and the other depends on if there is a nurse who can come and access it. I have a power port. I have had a few surgeries that they refused to use it during as well. They told me as long as I was getting herceptin they did not want to stick it, since each time you do you increase the risk of infection. To me this is silly. Once I'm done with herceptin they take it out. Why do you have a port that can be used for anything if the pros won't use it?

Believe51
01-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Request an IV nurse, they should will be the only ones that are able to push or pull through the port (besides chemo nurses)...best of luck. Keep us posted>>Believe51

tousled1
01-25-2008, 03:51 PM
If you have one of the new "power ports" then there is no problem in using the port for your MUGA. If you just have the regular port I would recommend not using the port. The reason being the contrast they use is thick and sometimes can cause the port to clog.

Bev
01-25-2008, 10:27 PM
From Miss port hater. Switch to an Echocardiogram so you don't need an injection. I haven't found any science to support a MUGA being better than an echo. Echos are much easier.

My 2 cents. BB