PDA

View Full Version : No change in treatment after all

tousled1
01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I got a call from my oncologist today and she really does not want to switch me to Abraxane yet. She reviewed my scan again and feels the Taxol/Carboplatin is taking care of the lung mets. I had a very slight progression in one nodule, several disappeared and the others are stable. I explained to her that quality of life was becoming an issue while I was on Taxol/Carbo. After a lengthy discussion we agreed that I will continue with Herceptin every three weeks and will take Taxol every week (3 on 1 off). I will not be taking the Carboplatin. She feels that the Carbo was the culprit in my counts (red, white, platlets and electrolytes being screwed up). I agreed to try the Herceptin/Taxol and we will review how it's working in six weeks when I see her again. I will be starting treatment next Thursday.

I guess I'm happy that I don't have to switch as I don't want to run out of options to quick. I'm hoping that the Herceptin/Taxol will bring me to NED!

Thanks to everyone for your concern and support.

Mary Jo
01-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Kate,
I'm praying too that the Herceptin/Taxol will bring you to NED. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Sending love,
Mary Jo

Mary Anne in TX
01-23-2008, 02:30 PM
May NED visit you real soon! I'm praying for that for you, Kate. ma

Julie2
01-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Kate,

Hope NED will be on your way soon. Relax and take it easy.

Julie

jones7676
01-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I am hoping this combo brings you to NED real soon!

Chelee
01-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Kate, Since I did TCH I have a feeling your onc is right on the money and it IS the carbo causing the problems. I had lots of problems around the 4th and 5th treatment with platelets, rbc, wbc, etc. I blamed them on the carbo as did my onc. So I really feel you'll see much improvement in that area very soon. I'm sure its been rough on you and here's to you feeling better soon and all that's needed to get you back to NED is the herceptin and taxol. Sending you warm healing thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

Chelee

BonnieR
01-23-2008, 03:12 PM
I recall that an onc from whom I received my "third" opinion recommended chemo but he said to try and have them leave out the Carbo. I ended up taking it because I did not feel like I could call the shots. But I do remember him saying it was a bad actor.....
And I ended up having only 4 doses because my counts were dropping and I was having neuropathy...the onc who is treating me thought that my 4 doses were therapeutic enough as long as I continue Herceptin for the year....

Bill
01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
You're in my thoughts and prayers, Kate! Hope this combo. does the trick! Love, Bill

Jean
01-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Kate,
If only your beautiful smile alone would chase away those nasty mets,
they would smashed....poof ....gone...

My best wishes for success on your new treatment plan.

Hugs,
jean

sassy
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Hoping this will do the trick and bring NED to stay.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy S in Tokyo
01-23-2008, 09:59 PM
You'll be on the same schedule I've been on since last June of 3weeks of Taxol and Herceptin and 1week of Herceotin only. I hope that dropping the Carbo helps with your QOL issues.

Hugs,
Chemotwin

caya
01-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Kate,

I am praying that this cocktail brings NED to your door ASAP.

all the best
caya

mslinda
01-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Kate, I'm praying for you to reach NED.
Linds

mslinda
01-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Kate, I'm praying for you to reach NED.
Linda

Ceesun
01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Kate, Your onc. sounds like a very good one and I am glad about that in terms of your care!! You have been through a lot...wish you the best and thanks for the encouragement you have given me. Ceesun

nitewind
01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
You're always in my prayers, Kate. Hoping this combo will do the trick for you.
Hugs

Lolly
01-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Kate, it sounds like you and your onc are in sync; QOL is just as important to us as treatment, the two have to stay in balance or it just isn't worth it. So glad you're spirits are better, and that helps too!

<3 Lolly

Catherine
01-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Kate,

So glad that your doctor and you have this figured out. Sounds like the rest of the board agrees. This is unfamiliar territory for me. So glad that you know what you are doing. Keep the faith. We are all behind you 100 plus percent. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Hugs from me, Catherine

Sheila
01-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Kate
Hope it keeps doing the job, that is all I'm on now, Herceptin and Taxol, and hey, my hair is returning...just now my eyebrows or lashes...go figure...I would not be good at drawing them on, I would look like BOZO the clown! Sending you love and healing thoughts!!!!!