PDA

View Full Version : for those with male breast cancer (or caring for them)

Lani
01-23-2008, 09:31 AM
a new review article
1: Breast. 2007 Dec;16 Suppl 2:S147-54.
How to treat male breast cancer.

Kamila C, Jenny B, Per H, Jonas B.
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics (MEB), Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden.
The prevalence for breast cancer in males in Europe is estimated to be 1 or less per 100,000. Male breast cancer has a peak incidence at the age of 71 years. There are no randomized data giving information on the optimal therapy for male breast cancer patients, thereby limiting firmer conclusions. The preferred primary surgical therapy is modified radical/simple mastectomy, but breast-conserving surgery has also been used in males. Post-operative radiotherapy should be used on a more routine basis; as males have shorter breast-anatomical distances and males are diagnosed at a later stage compared with females. The so far preferred adjuvant therapy modality has been tamoxifen for patients with endocrine responsive disease. The use of aromatase inhibitors in males is more controversial, since they may not deplete the estradiol levels sufficiently. Different chemotherapy regimens have been used in the adjuvant and metastatic setting. The use of adjuvant therapy has in institutional and review comparisons been demonstrated to result in an improved outcome.
PMID: 18210656 [PubMed - in process]

duga35
01-23-2008, 08:49 PM
:)
Thank you for posting that article

Doug

Believe51
01-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Lani, I know you have met our new friend Doug before today and I just wanted to tell you I am so glad he found us!! Thanks for all the wonderful information you provide, your dedication to this site and its members is supreme. I also needed to thank you for helping Santa to deliver the gifts of wealth this season. As you know I have been still reading!!! Hubby thanks you too because like I have mentioned before when I am reading I am being QUIET!! Ssshh!! LOL>>Love Always>>Believe51

Soccermom
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I found this on the ACS website and thought it would be good to put on this thread...

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_2X_Do_we_know_what_causes_male_breast_canc er_28.asp

Marcia

Believe51
01-25-2008, 02:05 PM
..you are always thinking of us, I thank you again>>Believe51

Lani
01-26-2008, 09:35 AM
1: Harv Mens Health Watch. 2007 Nov;12(4):4-6.
Breast disorders in men.

[No authors listed]
PMID: 18217255 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]