PDA

View Full Version : Input needed

Brenda_D
01-22-2008, 05:47 AM
I got my echo back yesterday. They said it was ok.
When I looked at the report, it said LVEF 55%, according to the report it is supposed to be between 60% - 100%. I'm not sure how an echo compares to a muga. My muga was 56% a year ago. I'm not too worried about the LVEF though.
Here's what concerns me. Left atrium mildy dilated.
Mild mitral regurgitation, mild tricuspid regurgitation.
I'm scheduled for a chemical stress test Thursday and I get my 3 week dose of Herceptin Wed.
Should I have a chemical stresser right after my treatment? Especially with some mild valve problems?

I will ask my onc, but I wanted your input, please.
Thanks.

Karen W
01-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Brenda,

When I started Herceptin my EF was 63 and it remained there until about 8 months out and then it dropped to 53, so I had to take a break from Herceptin. The number resolved itself and I was able to complete the year of Herceptin.

I think as long as you stay within the 50's (which seems normal for you) and your number doesn't drop dramatically (like mine 10pts), then you are ok. But I would check with my doc to make sure.

Karen

Mary Anne in TX
01-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi Brenda! All that may be "normal" stuff the heart does on all the meds they give us. I don't know, but call the nurse and ask her to ask your doctor. It will relieve your mind. I sat next to someone in treatment yesterday who did their stress test just after her herceptin and did great! It was a good story and gave her much hope for all the days coming! Good luck and just ask lots of questions. ma
p.s. I had my echo yesterday too and am still celebrating at the 70% reading! Thank you supplement advocates for "keep on keeping on about CoQ 10!!!! WOW!

chrisy
01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm certainly not a doctor...

But I've had the mild regurgitation thing forever, and nobody every bats an eye about it.

Chelee
01-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Brenda, My ECHO's also showed mild mitral regurgitation. I was concerned about it so I went to a cardiologist. He pretty much told me not to worry about it and said *everyone* has some mitral regurgitation. He explained in detail what it is and when I should be concerned about it. As of now...he said there is no problem. He relieved my fears/concerns. I have noticed since seeing him all doctors I have seen that's read this on my ECHO's make no mention of it either. If you are real concerned as I was....ask to see a cardiologist....it was well worth it to me. :) Hang in there.

Chelee

tousled1
01-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Brenda,

On an echocardiogram as long as your LVEF does not drop below 50% you will still be able to receive Herceptin. Mine started at 65% and now ranges about 55%. I too have mild regurgitation and neither my cardiologist or oncologist are concerned about it.

Joan M
01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Brenda,

It seems like your LVEF is holding steady, which is good.

And as Kate said, 50 is the lower cut-off point.

I too have mild reguritation, and nobody's making a fuss over it.

As for your chemical stress test, it probably wouldn't hurt to find out whether you should wait a few days between the test and Herceptin.

Joan

Lolly
01-22-2008, 05:42 PM
In my experience, it's better to schedule your heart tests before you get Herceptin, like a day or so if you can. I noticed it made a difference of several points lower if I had my echo's or muga's right after Herceptin.

<3 Lolly

Brenda_D
01-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks everyone. :)
I'm happy with the 55%. I expected lower since the tech said she got 51%.
I'll ask my GP when I go back, about the regurgitation.

I'll ask my Onc today (it's vitamin H day) about having the chemical stress test tomorrow. That bothers me a little, and I'd like to wait until next week.

Susan
01-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi Brenda: When my LVEF dropped to 49 from starting out at 63, I had to quit herceptin, but after 6 months and going on some meds, it's back in the high 50's again, so mine was reversible. I was dissapointed not being to finish one year of herceptin, but I did get 8 months in, and the dr's assured me that they are finding the 6 months of herceptin is probably as good as 1 year. I feel fine now, and I'm even done with the heart med.
Sue

Brenda_D
01-23-2008, 11:58 AM
I gave the onc my reports and asked him about the Stress test.
He said I should wait at least a week, so I re-scheduled it.
He also said I should get a scan to see what's causing my hip pain.