PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know about Megace?

Debra
01-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know anything about this drug? Megace also called "Megestrol acetate"?
My oncologist prescribed it to me for lack of libido however, I searched it on the internet and it is described as a drug to "treat" breast cancer and not once did I see anything about it being used for low libido!!! Apparently it helps with hotflashes as well.
She was so quick to prescribe it to me and indicated it is very safe but I want to check it out before I fill the prescription. Weight gain is a side affect but she stated I should only take 1/2 the pill as she has patients who have taken that dose with no weight gain.
I know we have talked about the good old libido issues before but I don't remember if this is a medication that was brought up.
Any info would be appreciated.

chrisy
01-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Joy has been on Megace - for treatment of cancer, not the libido thing. Maybe she will see your post but if not, you could send her a private message.

Believe51
01-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Ed is on Magace to 'increase appetite' and to 'stop the wasting weight loss' of bc. I have posted previously on this subject inquiring about the weight issue. It has been working for what he needs it for and we are blessed to have found something because marijuana and Marinol was something this health nut refuses to be options. I do not know anything about using it for libido. Best of luck with everything>>Believe51