PDA

View Full Version : How to determine if chemo is working?

Faith in Him
01-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm hoping to get some insight on taxotere. I had my first infusion on Wednesday and my doctor wants to check my breast in two weeks to see if the rash has gone down. Is that enough time to determine if a treatment is working or not? If it has gotten worse, He wants to change treatment.

I actually have a hard time telling if it is getting better (but it's only been two days). I wonder if I should take pictures?

Thanks,
Tonya

Mary Anne in TX
01-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Yes, take pictures! For your peace of mind and for a "real" record! Brilliant idea from a super great warrior. God bless, ma

tousled1
01-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I would think that two weeks is a very short time to tell if there is improvement. But with you having skin mets maybe that's all the time tht is needed. I had taxatore neoadjunctly and after my second treatment (every 3 weeks) there was a noticeable decrese in the size of my tumor.

lexigirl
01-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Dear Tonya,

I could actually see my nasty little rash disappear as the txs went on. As awful as it is to have the skin mets, it is kind of exciting to see that the tx is actually working. You may notice a difference in the pigment after the next tx. Hang in there, those nasty mets are soon going to be lonng gone!

Hugs,
Lexi

Lolly
01-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Yes, do take pictures; my onc has been really appreciative of the pics my husband brings for his file, and made a good suggestion: make sure the camera is the same distance from your body each time, for continuity. I think he's being proactive in wanting to move on if things get worse; on the other hand, if things are the same or slightly better that would be cause to stay the course for awhile.

<3 Lolly

Alice
01-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Yes take pictures,

I do not have skin mets but when I had hand and foot reactions. unexpectedly, my onc had the nurses come and take pictures to put in my file to document the progression. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Great idea.
Alice

Margerie
01-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Maybe take the pictures (such an easy and valuable tool I would think) with a ruler with millimeters next to the rash.

Here is to hoping you don't have anything to measure soon!