PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever stop taking AI

KRISS
01-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, my new insurance just started and they cancelled our perscription part. I am not sure I will be able to afford the $300 for femara every month. Has anyone ever stopped taking it and done OK? I checked on arimidex and aromotosin and they were around the same price. Are there any other less expensive options?

Hopeful
01-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Kriss,

I think you should at least consider staying on the AI until you finish Herceptin. The two have some synergy and appear, at least in metastatic patients, to work better together than alone.

Have you considered looking on-line to find some independent type of group coverage that would at least pay for part of the rx?

This is a crappy choice to have to make. I hate to say this, but I think, if all else fails, this is what credit cards are for!

Hopeful

Karen W
01-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Kriss,

I would talk to my doctor or call the pharmaceutical company directly and see if they can help you out.

Karen

Jean
01-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Kriss,
My Femara cost $262.00 per month/not much savings.
But you may want to research ordering your medicine from
Canada. A few years ago my husband's elderly Aunt (91)
could not keep up with her medicine costs. We began to
order her medicines from Canada and saved 2/3's. I have provided a
link for one which you can check. Kriss, also to note we did not
get generic drugs.

Let us know how you make out.
That is lousy that your insruance company has dropped your coverage.
Wishing you the best
Jean

http://www.canadadrugs.com/index.php?REF=googleGeneralWordsCanadaPharmacy/keyword=pharmacy%20in%20canada&gclid=CJit2PuNg5ECFQHgPAod338MFQ

Jean
01-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Kriss,
My Femara cost $262.00 per month/not much savings.
But you may want to research ordering your medicine from
Canada. A few years ago my husband's elderly Aunt (91)
could not keep up with her medicine costs. We began to
order her medicines from Canada and saved 2/3's. I have provided a
link for one which you can check. Kriss, also to note we did not
get generic drugs.

Let us know how you make out.
That is lousy that your insruance company has dropped your coverage.
Wishing you the best
Jean

http://www.canadadrugs.com/index.php?REF=googleGeneralWordsCanadaPharmacy/keyword=pharmacy%20in%20canada&gclid=CJit2PuNg5ECFQHgPAod338MFQ

Becky
01-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Kriss

How lousy!! Jean has a great suggestion. Regardless, Hopeful is right on about the synergy of an AI and Herceptin. You don't have that much longer to go on that.

Also, you can consider the credit card option (there are some 0% cards out there too).

Sheila
01-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Kriss
Femara is made by Novartis, which is part of the together access network. Try this link, you should be able to get it free or at a greatly reduced proce.

http://www.togetherrxaccess.com/Tx/jsp/home.jsp

If not contact Novartis directly...I think they are at

www.novartis.com (http://www.novartis.com)

PinkGirl
01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Kriss
There is a considerable difference in the price
of A.I.'s in Canada. It is 544.28 for 3 months
of Arimidex.

hutchibk
01-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Also, make sure your doctor is aware of your situation... he may be able to "sample" you with the needed AI for a while. Ask if there is a pharmaceutical nurse advocate at your clinic, through the clinic pharmacy. My clinic is partnered with US Oncology and their on premises nurse has been my consultant and conduit to help me find access to all of the meds that I need when my insurance hits the max limits. Without prescription insurance, you would be considered "uninsured" pharmaceutically, so you will possibly qualify for access programs. Also, look into the PPA, Partnership for Prescription Assistance... you have seen the commercials on TV with Montel Williams.

tricia keegan
01-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Kriss I don't have any suggestions or advice unfortunatly but wanted to say I'm sorry you find yourself in this position. I get arimidex free every month but could'nt afford it otherwise so I really hope some of the other girls advice can help yoiu continue.

Mary Jo
01-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi Kriss,
I'm so sorry this has happened to you. How awful and maddening.
I pray the advice given to you by the others will benefit you with the drugs you need.
God's Peace and Love,

Mary Jo

Becky
01-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Dear Kriss

I had another thought on this. Try to stay on Femara until 2 years from the date of your surgery as this is the most vulnerable time of recurrence.

I have a local friend who is Her2+ and highly ER/PR positive. She stayed on Tamoxifen for 2 yrs (and of course thru Herceptin) but stopped at 2 yrs from surgery to "clean out" because she is 35 and wanted to try to have a baby. She is at 4 yrs out now and doing well (but her periods really never came back and she has had difficulty getting pregnant - a common side effect of chemo).

Just want you to be as safe as you can be.

Love,

KRISS
01-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Thank You Ladies
I still have about a month and a half supply left. That will get me through all my herceptin. I will try all the suggestions. After looking at my coverage better I find they will pay 100% of perscriptions after I meet my 8,000 dollar out of pocket. Hey, I'll meet that next month so it won't be so bad. But the links will help me for next year. I love that I can come here and get loads of info. Thanks again, Kriss

fauxgypsy
01-26-2008, 09:00 AM
I wasn't able to tolerate Femara and am taking tamoxifen instead. It has an added benefit of helping prevent bone loss and I believe, although I am not sure, that it is much less expensive. Another option: I have a Sam's Club business card ( I am self employed) and I save a huge amount on my husband's prescriptions. I get them filled at Walmart and it has been a lifesaver for us.

Leslie