PDA

View Full Version : Scan results - change of treatment

tousled1
01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Well, I saw my oncologist on Thursday and go the results of my scan back. Scan showed slight progression. She suggested that I go back on the Taxol/Carboplatin with Herceptin but since it really affect my QOL I asked what other options we had. I will begin Abraxane in two weeks when I go for my next Herceptin treatment. I will get the Abraxane every 3 weeks so at least I won't have to be at the infusion center every week. I just hope this will put a halt to my lung mets.

Lolly
01-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Kate, I hope the Abraxane/Herceptin combo is easy on you and hard on the cancer. I had Abraxane for 4 months with Tykerb, and didn't seem to suffer too much from it. All my side effects seemed to be related to the Tykerb(rash and pooterookis!)...
It doesn't look like you've had Navelbine yet, and I know several have had good results combining it with Herceptin, myself included, plus a friend at my treatment center got remission from lung mets with it, so that may be a future option also.

Thinking good thoughts for you,
<3 Lolly

<3 Lolly

Julie2
01-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Dear Kate,

Hope this is the right combo for you to knock down the progression. Think about taking Leukine for boosting the counts. How is your Her2 serum result? Thinking about you and sending all the positive energy you need.

Julie

duga35
01-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Kate,
I hope this treatment helps and I am praying for you! :)

Doug

chrisy
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh Kate, sometimes I feel like we are in some sort of twisted square dance where you have to keep changing partners? That sucks, but hopefully the Abraxane will dosido that dumb progression right on out of there.

I know nothing about square dancing or where the heck that whole thing just came from...but wishing you the best.

Mary Anne in TX
01-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Kate, I hope that is just the perfect combo for you. And also that it is smooth sailing as for as QOL for YOU! I haven't had Abraxane, but the H with Navelbine was easy for me (all things relative, of course). Best wishes for a really good result. ma

Mary Jo
01-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Kate,
I'm still laughing at Chrisy's "dosido" comment and the whole "square dance" thinking. LOLhttp://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif Anyway, just wanting to say that I hope your new chemo plan is tough on the cancer and easy on you.

Love & Peace Kate,

Mary Jo

Bill
01-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi Katie! I'm hoping and praying this one does the trick for you. Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way, Love, Bill

Sheila
01-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Kate
I am hoping that the change to the Abraxane will be gentler on your system, and fight those lung mets at the same time....it seems like there is so much trial and error in getting that perfect combo...your QOL is so important, once you start feeling better, those lungs can heal....sending a big hug and lots of healing energy your way!

dhealey
01-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Kate, praying this new combo kills those nasty cancer cells and is easy on you. Will keep youin my prayers. God Bless.

caya
01-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi Kate,

I hope the new drugs kick that cancer butt to the curb - bye bye, so long, farewell, shalom, cherrio - etc.

all the best
caya

Andrea Barnett Budin
01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Dear sweet Kate,

YEEHAH! Bow to the right. Bow to the left. And change partners. I'm w/all of the above in saying -- may this be the perfect combo for you. Hard on the canser and easy on you. You are always in my thoughts. Sending you hugs and healing energy too, my sweet Sister... Soon you'll be dancin' w/NED!

Andi

kareneg
01-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Dear Kate,

I am also praying this is the combo that knocks the cancer's butt for a loop, and I hope it is tolerable too.

hermiracles
01-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Sounds like you and your Onc are onto it Kate! Would be great to see those lung mets disappear eh? Lots of strength and healing to you Sis.
Blessings
Hermiracles

nitewind
01-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Hi Kate, here's hoping this combo is the magic bullet for you! Keeping you in my prayers.
Hugs

tricia keegan
01-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Kate I really hope the abaraxane is easier on you and shrinks those mets to nothing asap! Sorry to hear of the progression but hopefully this will do the trick for you.

PinkGirl
01-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Kate
Like everyone else, I hope this new combo
works well for you. There are times when
it is definitely a good idea to change dance
partners.

SoCalGal
01-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Kate-
My priority this year is also quality of life. And having time OUT of cancer world - as hard as that is to do - it's really a discipline that one can choose. Two new things I am trying is NO WORRYING AFTER DARK and also to limit my conversation and thoughts to non-health issues. It is hard to be apart from something that is a part of me but I think for all of us this practice will alleviate stress - if only for an hour each day. I compare the practice of not thinking about cancer to how I don't think or worry about malaria. It helps me to remember the time when cancer wasn't always "up and running" in the background of my life - when stage four wasn't my screen saver.

I wish for you peaceful moments and lots of strength!
xoxo
Flori

tousled1
01-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention that my brain scan was completely clear!

Adriana Mangus
01-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Kate: What's that on your shoulder? Good luck in your treatment. Me too will be switching to something? soon due to slight progression to lung mets. We just have to make the best of it. Love and Hugs to you and your loved ones.

TriciaK
01-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Dear Kate---Wishing you the best with your new dance partners and hoping that next you dance with NED. Navelbine and herceptin did it for my BC lung mets. I believe maybe abraxane is stronger than navelbine (?) so you should see success. We're all praying for you! Hugs, Tricia

Brenda_D
01-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Good luck to you, Kate. I hope this combo works well.

Faith in Him
01-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Praying and believing that this will be the right chemo for you.

Your in my heart.

Tonya

tousled1
01-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Adriania, that's Tiptoe on my shoulder.

sassy
01-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Kate,

Keeping you on my thoughts and prayers. Hoping this will be the invitation to Ned!

My best,

Jackie07
01-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Kate,

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jackie07
01-19-2008, 06:28 PM
I just loved Adriana's quote at the bottom of her message.

Vanessa
01-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Good luck with the abraxane. I find it a little easier to tolerate than taxotere. I hope it is your magic bullet. You are always in my prayers.

Joanne S
01-21-2008, 05:40 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_213.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk788MNUS)Hi Kate,

I almost didn't recognize you with your new pic. Although no progression would be better, I'm at least glad it is only a slight progression. And I'm delighted to hear you brain scan was clear. I will keep you in my thoughts and http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk788MNUS)prayers.
Hugs, Joanne http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_4_127v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk788MNUS)

Kim in CA
01-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Dear Kate,

Just wanted to join the others in wishing you great success with this new treatment. I am really happy to hear that there was nothing found in your brain MRI too. Saying prayers for you and sending positive thoughts too. Kim

belle
01-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Kate,

Good luck in your treatment! Will keep fingers crossed for you.

Ceesun
01-21-2008, 03:03 PM
I wish you the best Kate, you are a real trooper for sure! Ceesun

Bill
01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Congrats on the clear brain scan, Katie! Stay strong! Adriana, the creature on Kate's shoulder is Tiptoe, a trained chinchilla that they share with each other to bring good luck to the host. I'm glad you saw him, too. Love to you all, Bill

Becky
01-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Abraxane is a good drug. I will give a tip that there are recent studies that show it works better than Taxol or Taxotere but only if it is given on the weekly schedule. You might want to discuss this with your oncologist. Althought you want to get away from the cancer center, being NED keeps you away for good.

Love and a big hug to you dear Kate

tousled1
01-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Becky,

Thanks for that info. I'll make a call to my oncologist's office tomorrow.

Joan M
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Kate,

Great news on your brain scan!

Joan