PDA

View Full Version : Should men get mammo's if moms had bc ?

mts
01-18-2008, 12:38 PM
There are several men on this board with bc and it makes me wonder...

We all hear about how our daughters need to start mammos 10 years before the date of a moms age at diagnosis... What about sons?

Maria

Jean
01-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Maria,
Being a Mother of a 23 yr. old son, you beat I am very cautious.
I just had my son checked and he was rather annoyed with me.

I will continue to remind him that he must check just like a woman.
The boxing gloves are off as far as I am concerned with BC

Regards,
Jean

Believe51
01-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes. One problem these men face is the lack of support from the insurance industry and regular mammograms are not covered by many insurances. They are usually misdiagnosed or uninformed about breast cancer. Yes Friends, there are still medical professionals that DO NOT RECOGNIZE that men even get bc!! There are always free mammograms though and through awareness it is up to us to run with it. I am on a plight with the ACS to work with these companies to enable doctors to ask and record breast cancer in their family histories. I also request that organizations spruce up their information to make it current in their brochures. We will not accept the answer "Well...it IS rare", it still exists and is not an excuse!! It is up to us as a whole to provide and make sure this information is recorded in our medical histories. It is up to us to show our sons and brothers how to do monthly exams and to NOT be embarrassed; men are better at not being embarrassed, but we have the power to help our 'lil ones become comfortable.

I am happy that you started this thread. It is through awareness that our power is gained by that knowledge. And it is by people like you and I that can take baby steps to ensure that we get the word out so we can save more precious lives. Lots of love and graditude>>Believe51

Believe51
01-18-2008, 01:19 PM
...with time and persistance your son should someday be better with it. The main thing is that he IS aware thanks to you, Mom. Hopefully he someday will be checking himself in the shower or if there is something of concern such as a lump or discharge or a rash, that he will come to you. Remind him softly and regularly, and with time I think he will become more relaxed about the entire bc topic.

Although I always pray for all affected, for those who shall be affected and for all of those Warriors we have lost.....tonight I shall have a quiet vigil for all our boys....big and small. May they find awareness, knowledge and power. And most importantly, may their embarrassment dissolve into nothingness!! Loving you too>>Believe51

PinkGirl
01-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Is it difficult for men to have a mammogram - is it possible to get the breast tissue "clamped" or would they need an MRI instead? I was just wondering, with less tissue, if the test can still be done ?

Brenda_D
01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
PinkGirl, I was wondering the same thing. How does a man get a mammo?

Believe51
01-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Ouchh!! But to answer your question most men are able to get the mammogram with a little effort and a patient professional. In Ed's case (IBC) he did not need a mammogram since it would have been pointless and he was all muscle. Males with 'man breasts' (for lack of a better term) usually need just a mammogram. Many of my male friends have in conjunction with a mammogram had to have other testing done also, sometimes these readings need more proof, thus the medical industries excuse to put horse blinders on; money, money, money 'ya know.

Although Mom's bc does not appear to hereditary, my son will be headed off to a mammogram soon, he is 25 and a bit embarrassed, but he knows the need. Breast cancer does run in our family. After all, we can never be too careful, right??>>Believe51

PS: I hope when I mention 'medical industry' no one takes offense, nor do they think I am bitter or placing blame. I talk with passion and urgency!! Although my husband has MBC this is our life now and I would not trade it for all the expresso in the world!!

duga35
01-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Yes, please tell your son that I said to be aware and have the exam! There is nothing to be embarrased about, and when I went for the mammo the tech was very good in assuring me that there is nothing wrong with it.

My tumor didn't show up very well on the mammogram and they did an ultrasound because I was having a discharge and they were able to get a much clearer picture of it. I believe that they could see microcalifactions on the mammo, but not a clear picture of the tumor itself.

I am living proof that men need to be aware that they can get cancer. It is extremly rare, but it does happen. Had I not had the discharge mine may have not been found or discovered until it was too late. Today I thank God for giving me the sign that something was wrong. I too put it off for several months because I didn't want to believe that I had BC.

Bill
01-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Doug, I'm sorry for what you are going through and have gone through, but it's good to have you and your insight here. Praying for you, Bill

duga35
01-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks Bill. I can't feel sorry for myself because many women here have it worse than I do. I can't even tell you how thankful I am even as hard and miserable that it has been. :)

All a person can do is keep a positive attitude,pray, and I certainly try!

harrie
01-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Doug,
Do you have a family history of breast cancer and have you ever been tested for the BRCA gene? May I ask you how old you were at the time of diagnosis?
I have a son who has not been tested yet for the BRCA2 gene of which I am a carrier of.
Harrie

duga35
01-20-2008, 11:44 AM
The only person in my family that has a history of BC that I know of is my grandmother. She wasn't diganosed until age 72, ten years ago, and luckily her's was caught early as well from a yearly mammogram and she is doing well today.

I am 39 and shocked everyone when I was diagnosed. For being a man and especially at my age.

I have not been tested yet for the gene, but they are setting me up to be tested to see if I am a carrier.

I certainly hope that I'm not because I have an 11 year old daughter. They have already told me that when a woman has a father with BC, it will raise a big red flag, and you already know the risk involved with the gene. :(:(

You didn't say how old your son is, but tell him that is not a disgrace or embarrasment at all to have a mammogram or ultrasound. There has been an increase of reported male breast cancer cases, and like for women, early detection is the key. I personally think that more awareness for men needs to be out there and that it will save lives.

I had known that men can have BC, but like a typical hard-headed man, I tried to ignore and deny my symptoms. :)

harrie
01-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Doug,
Thanks for your response. My son is 26 yrs old. If daughters are diagnosed with the BRCA2 gene, then in their 20s an MRI would be done annually. Mammograms are not to effective in screening at that age due to the density of the breasts.
It is interesting, I had the gene passed to me by my mother, and her father died of pancreatic cancer, so probably it was her father that passed her the br ca gene, not her mother. Course there is the slight possibility that her mother did have the gene, but did not develop br ca and she died at the age of 82.
Did I read correctly that you were diagnosed with DCIS, yet your symptom was discharge? If so, I think that is pretty amazing.
Harrie (Maryanne)

duga35
01-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Yes, I had a discharge for about 3 months that I tried to ignore.
If it wasn't for my wife kicking my butt and making me see the doc I may have been diagnosed too late :)

harrie
01-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Duga, me again.
You might be interested in checking out this online site in regards to the BRCA gene mutation. It is a very informative and supportive group.
Harrie