PDA

View Full Version : mood swings anyone?

debski
01-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Now I do understand that this might not have any link to herceptin but.....

I always was quite moody/hormonal but since the diagnosis I have become like a mad woman. Up and down , crying, laughing...just insane. I wonder if it is a reaction to the whole thing about breast cancer or is it the menopause (I'm 41 and have at least another 3.5 yrs of tamoxifen).

Sometimes I feel quite blase anout the whole thing then I get scared and realise what's happening. Breast cancer really messes your head up- doesn't it?

I hate the fact that some people seem to disbelieve you- they ask how you are and then say ' oh but everyone feels like that at the moment- we're all tired' I want to swear at them. They also say 'none of us know if we are ok or not' my reply should be ' but I know that I am not ok you MORON'

What have you got to do to be believed?

Spike Milligan- British comedian had on his gravestone ' I TOLD YOU I WAS ILL'.

NOT THAT I INTEND GOING ANYWHERE SOON. sORRY HIT caps lock. i AM NOT SHOUTING.

Love Debbie

Joann
01-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Debbie,

Please go read my post, it may make you feel better. I have thinking I am going insane right about now.

The onc office said I am the only one to ever report mood swings and emotion beyond my control.

So you make 2 that I know of.

Thanks Joann

MJo
01-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I went to pieces for a few months after my diagnosis. The Adriamycin chemotherapy I took affected my brain--I felt like I was asleep while I was awake! Plus I had the tremendous anxiety and fear that a cancer diagnosis brings. I personally needed chemical help -- I started Lexapro and used Xanax. I had a much easier time with the chemo drug taxol. About six months into treatment, someone told me: "Don't think about your cancer. You'll have a breakdown." I told them "I've already had a breakdown, and I've come through it." You will make it through the insane feelings.

hutchibk
01-18-2008, 04:02 PM
My onc knew to discuss anti-depressants with me when the journey started... he offered the idea and asked me to think about it. I decided to go for it, and we started with Effexor. It was not for me, it seemed too strong and caused horrible restless leg syndrome. We then tried Remeron (which is apparently good in the anti-anxiety realm of these treatments) and it worked wonderfully for me. I discontinued it one year after my initial DX, but I know it is there should I need to return to it. I would suggest considering an anxiety/depression medication option. Being DXed with b/c is not what I consider in the range of "normal situations we should be emotionally equipped to handle"...

chrisy
01-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Boy, are you right on that one Brenda!

Debbie, I'm not sure how far out you are from your diagnosis and treatment, but as you've got 3.5 more years of tamoxifen I'll guess about a year and a half?

Many people, myself included, go through a post traumatic stress reaction after treatment. All these fears and emotions get put on the back burner while you actively engage in treating the cancer. Then later when you least expect it they come from nowhere and wham, you're this crazy crying person. That was the way it was with me, anyway.

So lets see...breast cancer, menopause, chemotherapy, talking to unhelpful morons...any of those things could drive a person crazy! In my experience, people who have not experienced it can't understand it. Although people can accept it and believe that what you are feeling is valid.

You're not crazy, but you are dealing with a crazy set of circumstances and feelings. The important thing is, if YOU are feeling like you are overwhelmed, you can get help. As Brenda noted, you can talk to your doctor if you think you need to.

Try not to let the turkeys (morons) get you down

debski
01-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Thankyou all so much for your support- it is good to know that someone understands- even if you are all thousands of miles away. I think we should start a new thread- what's the most annoying thing people say to us?

Could it be -'you must be positive'- or is it 'are you going to run a marathon like Jane Tomlinson? (I am not disrespecting her by the way).

mabrooks
02-06-2008, 01:15 PM
I just stopped Effexor XR for hot flashes within the last few weeks. Did help at first - but before you start it - make sure you google "Effexor withdrawal" I would rather have lived with the hot flashes. Withdrawal is awful and most MD's think there is no problem stopping it. I know everyone is different - but it is awful stopping this drug.

Joann
02-06-2008, 01:21 PM
You poor thing - you are going through discontinuation - which the doctors will tell you doesn't exist - and everyone who has ever stopped taking a drug like that will tell you - it does exist and is real.

See if you can get Xanax to help get you through the Detox period. Even if you only use it at night, it will help you rest.

Good Luck

mabrooks
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks Joann. I just read on another thread here that someone had an issue with stopping Herceptin. I have until April and then I am done. I hope it is not like this withdrawal. I am so lucky that mine bc was caught early - I hate to complain. So many women go through so much more than I have. I am just amazed at all the courage and support here on this site. Thank you all..............