PDA

View Full Version : Er/pr

PinkGirl
01-17-2008, 03:28 PM
I thought I was ER+/PR+ but recently learned that
I have always been ER+/PR-. Does this mean anything?

Is it better for them both to be the same, like ER/PR+
or ER/PR- ?

hutchibk
01-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Good question. I am also interested in the answer!

sassy
01-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I believe she is ER+ PR- and knows the significance (of course!)

PinkGirl
01-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks Sassy, I hope Becky chimes in.

Becky
01-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Welcome to Jean's and my ER+/PR- club. There aren't many of us. Generally speaking, it is always best (regardless of Her2 status) to be ER+ and PR+ but at least being ER+ is good. You are on an AI and that is very good for this pathology because Tamoxifen resistance probably occurs more often if only ER+ (and Her2+). However, there was a study with Arimidex where they looked at its effectiveness in women who were ER+/PR+ vs women who were just ER+ and that study showed that Arimidex is more effective if just ER+. Also, the Arimidex/Herceptin combination (for the time you were on both together) is a great combination (when tested in metastatic women - test was this combo vs Arimidex alone).

And, you are already 2 years out - yeah! It is a small club and before the days of AIs and Herceptin - it wasn't the best of the Her2 club to be in (because Tamoxifen's effectiveness was questionable at best) but now it could be the best place to be because of molecular drug technology.

The few, the proud, the ER+/PR-!

PinkGirl
01-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for that explanation Becky.
Now I feel special! :)

Diane H
01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Am ER+PR-, did not realize it was not that common. Was very glad to read Becky's post and take heart from it, it's good to look at it in a positive light. Hugs, Diane

Believe51
01-18-2008, 06:24 AM
....you are special Lovey!!>>Believe51

Hopeful
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
I thought those of you who were not around for these threads would benefit from reading them, and the linked articles:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25522&referrerid=1173

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25990&referrerid=1173

Hopeful

Jean
01-18-2008, 10:53 AM
HMMMM, another member to our club, Yipee.
I also believe that Bonnie is er+/pr-?

Anyhue, welcome Pinky

Hugs,
Jean

hutchibk
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
I was originally ER+/PR+ but upon recurrence, my new DX became ER-/PR+. Does that just make me weird? I want to be in a club! LOL.

Barbara2
01-18-2008, 01:41 PM
I am also ER+ PR-. When my original labs came back my ER+ was shown as a "1+" on a scale of 1-3. Later, when I saw that people were showing this in terms of a "percent," I asked to have it checked again. My onc and I were both surprised to see 61% was the outcome. We both figured it to be much lower. The PR was also retested, which was 0.

I learned something new from your post, Becky:
"However, there was a study with Arimidex where they looked at its effectiveness in women who were ER+/PR+ vs women who were just ER+ and that study showed that Arimidex is more effective if just ER+."

Thank you, I did not know that.

IllinoisLady
01-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi Illinois Lady here,
I think I am as well ER+Pr- and Her2neu- so I guess I am thrilled to hear that answer. I have one more round of A/C.......then move on to Taxotere....4 rounds, three weeks apart.....just like the A/C was set up. Looking forward to gettling through all the chemo. Then rads ( 6 wks ) and 5 yr. pill. Long time to be treated but the outcome will be positive that way. Thanks Pink Girl for asking that question...it's one more I can settle down about.
Jackie