PDA

View Full Version : Reconstruction with silicone

goops
01-16-2008, 05:19 PM
I am having the 2nd 1/2 of my reconstruction surgery on Monday using a silicone implant. The plastic surgeon gave me a booklet that described all the possible complications and I had to sign a document saying I read it. After reading the book I wonder if I made the right decision.

Has anyone here had any serious issues with implants?

chrisy
01-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Nope, I have had my "frankenbreast" for 5 1/2 years. No problems with it.

goops
01-16-2008, 06:28 PM
In the booklet they suggest having a MRI done every 3 years to see if it is leaking, did your doctor tell you to do that? I hate the thought of more medical tests.

kcherub
01-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Hey! Actually, leakage is more of a problem with saline implants. Saline implants have a valve that they actually fill after they are inserted. Silicone implants have no valves--they are solid. I have had my implants for over 5 years, and it was never suggested to me that I have a scan.

Did they say MRI?

Take care,

doh2pa
01-17-2008, 06:48 AM
I've had my silicone implant for 3 and a half years and have had no problems.

TriciaK
01-17-2008, 09:33 AM
As I wrote on another thread, both my daughter and I had silicone implants over 20 years ago and both have had serious leakage and health problems. Of course, it was 20 years ago, and perhaps they may be able to keep them from leaking better now, but we were both part of the litigation against silicone and saw some horror stories. I couldn't believe it when I read they were being allowed back on the market. I definitely would not reccommend them myself. If saline leaks it doesn't cause the problems silicone does in the body. Please be sure to research silicone implants all you can and be careful! Hugs, Tricia