PDA

View Full Version : Shingles!

Susan
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I went to the doctor today because I thought I had spider bites on my stomach, and they've been there since a week ago, and the doctor said that's it's shingles! I thought that was for old people! Oh, well, another chapter of my life! I just hope it doesn't get worse. It isn't too painful, it's just burning and tingling. The doctor put me on a antiviral med and some cream, so hopefully this will nip it fast. Never a dull moment is there?
Sue

Audrey
01-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Sue,
Sorry to hear about your bout with shingles! So many of us here seem to have had shingles as a result of our compromised immune system. Glad the pain is not too bad for you and they have you on anti-viral meds, plus cream. I had shingles during chemo, too, (in my thirties) but it was on my face! As if being bald wasn't bad enough--I just wanted to put a bag over my head. Anyway, it all cleared up after a few weeks. Just wanted you to know I know what you're going through, stay strong!

Sherryg683
01-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh please don't even say the word. I had the worst case. They were in 3 nerve paths and I thought I was dying the day they broke out. I had residual nerve pain for 8 months. Even now when I get stressed, I can feel it. I went to neurologists and no one could really help them. I hope yours are mild...sherryg

Susan
01-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Hi Sherry: My shingles are a mild case. It's just on my torso, and it's just a burning, and little pain. I really felt worse about 10 days ago. I felt really light headed, sick to my stomach and pain in my chest, I didn't know what was wrong with me. Then about 5 days later, the rash came. (which I thought was spider bites) So I hope this is as bad as it gets.
Sue

sarah
01-18-2008, 05:18 AM
Hello,
I don't know if you can have it when you have active shingles but there is a vaccine against shingles - the zoster vaccine - it's for people who had chicken pox and therefore could get shingles later on.
sarah