PDA

View Full Version : Upon finishing herceptin, how long did it take you to recover?

Paris
01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before. I have completed 12 rounds of herceptin. I saw my surgeon yesterday and mentioned to her that I still have bouts of fatigue and still don't have the energy or endurance that I had pre-cancer. She said that it would take about six months from the time I finished herceptin til I felt totally better since in her words "I am still in treatment". I am familiar with the philosophy of one month of recovery for every month from diagnosis to end of treatment but I thought that treatment meant chemo not herceptin.

I know there are many of you who have dealt with fatigue as a side effect. I'm wondering how long it was til you weren't fatigued?

Jamie

Mary Jo
01-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi Jamie,

Ya know, when my herceptin was finished I thought I felt fine. However, I was more tired than before cancer but just figured I was different now (not that I wasn't different before cancer http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif) but I remember hitting my year anniversary and saying to my husband that they always say it takes a year to recover, but I didn't believe that. I thought I was just fine after everything....but you know? It really did take about 1 year until I really felt back to "normal" (whatever the heck that ishttp://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon11.gif)

So, hang in their................it does improve with time.

Continue with your wonderful attitude ..... you are definitley right.....life is good and is ours for the taking. Make each day count.

Mary Jo

tousled1
01-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Jamie,

Everyone is different and it takes some of us longer to recover from the side effects. I was off Herceptin for 3 months before I developed mets and at that point I was still fatigued -- not as bad as while on Herceptin. So it was getting better. Now I'm back on Herceptin and dealing with the fatigue. Also, remember what was your "normal" before breast cancer probably will not be your normal after treatment. We just adapt to a different "normal."

Cannon
01-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Ditto.

I just finished Herceptin end of Nov 07, and I am so much better now, and find I have more energy, not day by day, but week by week. One day recently, I said to myself, "Wow, I didn't have to take any naps this week." I pretty much always COULD take a nap, but I didn't need to.

Herceptin is definitely still "in treatment" it's not killing cells but it's in there doing its monoclonal antibody thing (ok, that's just me throwing around words I don't understand). And that's why there are side effects, swelling, etc. Also I think Herceptin has a half life of three weeks, so it's still in your system for a while. Even if it were just saline, you have the doctor's appt, the infusion, the general wear and tear.

I expect to continue to feel better as time goes on. I did have scans last week and get the good news - still NED.

Rebecca

Catherine
01-15-2008, 09:23 PM
I am glad you posted this question, because it has been lurking in my mind. I finshed Herceptin Dec 19, 2007. I find I can go full speed a head for about 6 days and then I hit "a wall." Just reminds me that I can not over book myself, with work or with social. I would prefer to slow down and not hit the wall. I was so excited to be off of chemo and only on Herceptin, that it took me awhile to figure out that I was still "fatigued." Now that I have accepted the fatigue part, I am working to be smarter at my schedule.

I am so thankful to be well. My thoughts are with everyone on the site even though I have not been here much lately. I luckily just returned from a 2 plus week stay in Arizona with my husband. I feel rested and happy.
Now to the challenge of not going full speed ahead tomorrow.

Catherine

MJo
01-16-2008, 08:35 AM
It took me one year.

CPA
01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
About 1 month after finishing chemo, Jill was winded to walk 2 laps of a 1/3 mile track at a slow pace. A year later - and 5 months after finishing Herceptin - she was briskly walking the track 3-4 laps. A few nights ago, she went 10 minutes on the treadmill at a quick pace and max incline. She was winded but recovered quickly.

You seem to have a good attitude... we all slow down a little as we get older, but that does not mean we can't keep trying!

Jill was still easily fatigued during Herceptin tx but we were never sure if it was the Herceptin or a hold-over from chemo. It does get better over time.

Christine MH-UK
01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
The mental fogginess really started lifting about six weeks after I finished herceptin.

The tiredness took about nine months.

I went back in to herceptin after having been out of treatment for a while and I was really surprised at how tired it made me.

One year out of herceptin I could walk about twice as fast as I could while I was on herceptin.

Paris
01-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Thank you for your kind advice ladies. It's good to know that what I am experiencing is "normal" for this stage of the game. I agree with you Rebecca, that the doctor appointments wear you down. It seems like this month I've had a doctor appointment of some kind every day and I am worn out! It's 10 AM, I've had my two cups of coffee and I'm ready for a nap.

Jamie