PDA

View Full Version : Mammo today, echo tomorrow, then stress test

Brenda_D
01-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone.
I went for my Pap and breast exam last Friday. I won't know on the pap for a few days, but breast exam seemed ok.
I go for my Mammo today. My BC breast is still sore and tender. I have about 20 surgical clips in there, so I'm not looking forward to getting it squeezed.
I'm going to have them do the other breast first and if they don't think they can do the BC breast without hurting me, I'm going to tell I'll opt for an MRI of that breast.
Tomorrow I get an echo to check the LVEF. I opted for that in place of a MUGA. Is there anything I need to tell them to make sure they get the LVEF percentage?
My PCP also wants me to have a chemical stress test. My BP has been running high, but I've been having some pain (legs, hips, chest scar areas).
So, if you have any tips, let me know.

Sheila
01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Brenda
Just make sure you tell them when you have your echo that you need the LVEF number...some cardiologists will just say normal...you really need the percentage so you can track if there has been a drop. As far as the chemical stress test goes, ask if they will give you Adenosine instead of Dobutamine....Adenosine is much easier and does not last as long...Dobutamine makes your heart pound very hard and lasts for a few hours after the test....get this clarified ahead of time...these are the drugs used to simulate exercise....you are probably going to have a cardiolite stress test, which takes about 3-4 hours from beginning to end including the wait times. I had my echo yesterday...they always have a hard tine with mine due to the Left side implant, so if you have one, tell them.\
Hope all bring good results.

Brenda_D
01-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks Sheila. :)

No implants, just a port and one sore boob with lots of surgical clips.

Good tips, thanks!

tousled1
01-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Your order for the echo should have a note stating that the oncologist needs the LVEF reading. If it doesn't then do mention to the tech doing the test that it is very important that the LVEF percentage be shown. Tell him/her that you are on Herceptin and that the main reason for having the echo is to check the LVEF as the LVEF% does have an effect on whether you can continue with Herceptin or not.

Brenda_D
01-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks Kate. I did tell my PCP that I need the LVEF when I asked for the echo, so I hope she wrote the order up that way.
In any case, I'll make sure I tell the tech I need the LVEF percentage for my Onc, or no sense in taking the echo. I'd only have to come back and get a Muga.