PDA

View Full Version : Skin Rash - Part III

Faith in Him
01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Unfortunately, the skin biopies came back positive for cancer. I am devasted because I guess herceptin is not working.

I am waiting for a call from the onc to tell me the new treatment plan. I could sure use some positive stories, if you have any to share.

Thanks,
Tonya

Susan
01-14-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your results, but just remember your name "faith in him". I hope you get to talk to the onc soon, so you find out your treatment..........you'll be in my prayers, stay strong....
Sue

BonnieR
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Dear Tonya, I have no stories to share but I was here when you posted and I want to say I feel your devastation. I am also so glad your onc persued this and did not just dismiss it. Please tell us the new plan. And keep the faith...

Vi Schorpp
01-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't have a positive story but I do have a positive prayer that your new plan of treatment will be everything you need.

dhealey
01-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't have a positive story either but I am sending positive thoughts and prayers your way that your onc will have a treatment plan to bring you to NED. May God Bless you. If you can't stay strong we, your breast cancer sisters will be strong for you. Lots of Hugs, Debbie

Lolly
01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Tonya, I know you're devastated right now, but don't lose faith in Herceptin just yet. Although it hasn't been enough on it's own to keep recurrence at bay, many of us Stage IV'ers have found that it just needs that extra boost of a chemo added in to knock the cancer back. I've been Stage IV since January 2001 with skin and lymph node recurrences, and my first recurrence was treated with a combo of Herceptin/Navelbine. Complete response, No Evidence of Disease (NED), and Herceptin maintenance kept me NED for 2 and 1/2 years. Then 2nd recurrence and we had to add Navelbine again, for 6 months, and again I was NED with Herceptin maintenance for almost a year. Then another recurrence, Navelbine again, but since then I've had to be on continuous maintenance chemo along with Herceptin as I continue to have systemic disease in my lymph nodes plus this past year dealing with skin recurrence again. I've only recently stopped Herceptin as my onc wanted to try Avastin with chemo, and there's no data on interaction with Herceptin so we've decided to take a "Herceptin Holiday" for now. May be able to go back to it later.

My message is that Stage IV disease can often be kept within very manageable levels with the help of Herceptin, and now Tykerb, and our options continue to grow.

Do not despair, wait to confer with your onc, but be sure and bring up the subject of Herceptin/chemo combo's as there is pleanty of data out there to support that plan of action. If Tykerb is offered, that has also worked well for some of us.

Take a deep breath, keep your chin up, and keep us posted.

<3 Lolly

lexigirl
01-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Tonya,

I am sorry this isn't the news any of us was hoping to hear. However, there are many weapons in the arsenal. I am positive that your onc will get you going on a new tx to get rid of the skin mets.

Lolly is such a terrific source for us skin met ladies. She gives me encouragement to know that these pesky mets can be fought back.

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please pm me if you feel like talking.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

Jean
01-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Tonya,
I am glad that you were smart enough to act on the rash and not delay.
I am so very sorry that you have received this news. But I think what Lolly said about adding a chemo to your herceptin will be your answer.
Keep your fighting spirit up and going. Love the photo of your beautiful
family....

Sending you blessings and healing energy,
Jean

Becky
01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Dear Tonya

I too am very sorry as well. If I remember correctly, the "rash" is on and near the scar. This does not mean that your chemo and herceptin are not working. Scar tissue is extremely difficult for chemo and herceptin to penetrate. Don't assume this local recurrence bodes badly for the rest of your body because it does NOT!!!

It is hard to keep the faith when things go wrong but it is a blimp in the road and scar tissue is difficult. God is great but not everyday is good. I will be praying for you.

Love,

Bill
01-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Tonya, I'm sorry to hear the bad news, but it sounds like you have a really good onc., and you seem to be right on top of things, and I know you are doing the best you can in this fight. Like my bride used to say," you do the best you can from the time you get up to the time you go to bed, and that's all you can do. You've done your best, and let God take care of the rest while you sleep." Prayers and hugs,,Bill

TSund
01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
TONYA,

HANG IN THERE and STAY on the Herceptin!. This is around the scar, which as Becky said the Herceptin doesn't get to well. Hopefullly they can zap this good and clear. Good for you for catching it early.

Postive thoughts to you.

tousled1
01-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Tonya,

Sorry to hear this news but don't despair. Lolly had very good results with Navelbien/Herceptin. Sounds like your oncologist is on top of things. Please keep us posted. You're in my prayers.

suzan w
01-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Yes, it does sound like your onc. is on top of things and good for you for pursuing this! Hopefully it will just be a little bump in the road!!

nitewind
01-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Tonya, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I don't have any experience to offer you , just prayers. I'm so thankful that you have a good Oncologist, a lot of them just don't keep up on things or seem to not really care. You are blessed to have a caring doctor. I'll keep you in my prayers, keep your chin up.
Hugs

MJo
01-15-2008, 07:52 AM
I just want to echo all the encouraging words and sound advice. I hope you are NED soon.

runtolive
01-15-2008, 08:05 AM
talk to your doctor about genentech's trastuzumab-dm1 trial.. its herceptin plus a toxin delivered to the tumors to kill the cancer.. a few on this board are already using it.. there is a site in NC.. ask your doctor soon...

genentech is very excited about this study.. with full enrollment expected soon in both the phase one and phase 2 trials .. you need to hurry to avoid any exclusions that may occur in a pivotal phase 3..
my aunt was excluded from a pivotal p3 for pancreatic cancer because her treatment had already begun before we found a study trial for her..l

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00509769?term=Breast+Cancer&recr=Open&spons=Genentech&spons_ex=Y&rank=4&flds=Xabce&show_locs=Y#locn

charlotte
01-15-2008, 11:22 AM
I would also like to add more best wishes to those mentioned here...PLease keep us posted . Hang in there....

Mary Anne in TX
01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Tonya, your news is the pitts, but the outcome will be good. I think sometimes we just need to add some chemo to the mix. Maybe it's just a reminder that we're still around and still ready to fight. I think cancer needs a slap now and then to remember who's in charge. I'm thinking good strong thoughts for you and praying for a quick "sign" that all is being fixed up. Tons of love, ma

goops
01-15-2008, 07:28 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your re-occurance, I will be praying for you.