PDA

View Full Version : Muscle or Bone Pain?!?

kcherub
01-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi, there! How on the Earth am I supposed to tell the difference in bone pain and muscle pain? If anyone out there can describe the difference to me, please do! I am driving myself nuts with this on and off pain that seems to move around my body...

Thanks and take care!

Nora B.
01-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Krista - What you describe sounds like what I experienced while on Herceptin (and for about 6 mos. afterward). I would have these flashes of random pain that seemed to move around my body -especially in my head and ribs, but also in my wrist or forearm, my hip bones, my shins. Drove me crazy, kept asking my onc about it and he kept reassuring me it was just either neuropathy from the chemo or side effects from the herceptin. I insisted on a bone scan, it was clean. I think it was the herceptin - the side effects have not really been studied, other than on this website.
Nora

kcherub
01-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Nora,

Hey! I feel like I am beating a dead horse with the moving pain thing! Everyone here has tried to reassure me, my ONC has tried to reassure me, and my DH thinks I am driving myself nuts! Which, I already was, and probably am...

I had a CT on 12/19, extra "bloodwork" (not sure what they did in the ER, but they knew I was concerned about mets), and bloodwork when I had my last Herceptin.

I try not to be too paranoid, but it is SO HARD! I just want to cry because I feel so frustrated sometimes. If I didn't have any pains, I wouldn't worry, you know?

I guess I will just bring it up again this Friday at Herceptin...

Andrea Barnett Budin
01-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi Krista,

You can read my tale in my signature. I do not have any pains from the Herceptin. However, during Taxotere -- and for yrs after -- I felt deep muscle pain in both my legs (calves and thighs) and my arms (lower and upper). My onc said that was common w/Taxotere. I was reassured. It was a deep aching and throbbing that left me in a constant state of unrest. Seeking another place to put myself. It was a daily thing during the tx and for mnths after. Then it became intermittent. Sev YEARS after Taxotere tx, I mentioned to my onc, I know this sounds crazy, but occasionally I get the same deep muscle pain I had when on Taxotere. But it's been yrs!

No, that is not crazy. I have had the same thing reported by sev of my patients who were on that chemo, said my wonderful onc. So I felt sane, and was therefore better able to deal. I am grateful to be alive! I hope this helps you rest easier...
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

kcherub
01-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks, Andi!

I am just feeling so "down", which is not like me! I hate being in pain, although I know it is worse for others. I feel as though I am "waiting for the other shoe to drop" even when I am feeling positive. Ugh--these continually changing emotions are insane, and I haven't even started the Tamoxifen yet!

I took a long, hot bath and 2 Motrin a bit ago, and hope that will help. If it does, then I will feel better physically and mentally.

Thanks, as always.

DonnaD
01-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Dear Krista,
I know exactly how you feel, both physically and emotionally. In Nov I started having pain in my hips and upper thighs severely at night, but was it bone pain or muscle pain? Then standing or sitting for any length of time in Dec. proved to be very painful. I had a CT scan done in Nov (for other reasons) and I ask for tumor markers to be done as well. All was fine. I called the onc a few days before the follow up CT Jan. 4 and ask if I could have chest abdomen and pelvic scans done because of the hip pain and my concern of a reoccurence. She agreed and all came back fine. My hip pain is much better now. I also saw my radiation onc in Jan and her intern said bone pain is very painful especially to the touch with pressure. After poking and proding he said he felt the pain was from Herceptin.

<O:p</O:p
I just finished Herceptin in Dec. and that proved to be a happy and very sad day for me. Strange that I would not want treatment to be over but that is how I felt. After my second clear mammogram I am handling the doubts much better.

I am so glad your tests that came back fine, that is so huge. Try to remember others are also dealing with this random pain. Let’s both try and relax and enjoy each day and count our blessings. Your little boy is adorable. Everytime I look at your picture it warms my heart and makes me sigh. I am waiting for the birth of my second grandchild any day. We have much to be thankful for. I am trying not to let cancer rule my life. I can't wait for the day I will not think of my cancer. Hang in there dear sister. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Donna
PS I take a low dose Ativan at times for sleepless nights and jitters I get at night. It really helps me relax. I hate to take unnecessary medication, or one that I could become dependent on, but .... Sometimes I need it.

visualizehealth
01-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi Krista!

I can totally relate to your feelings of fear and frustration. I continue to think that every pain I have is a recurrence. I even went to a hypnotherapist, who did help me a little bit. The trauma of cancer is difficult to deal with. Thank God for this web site and the support we get from each other.
God bless you and keep you well,
Annie

Mary Jo
01-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi Krista,
I just wanted to chime in because of your comment "waiting for the other shoe to drop." I can't tell you how many times I have used that phrase throughout these past 2 - 1/2 years. I, too, felt just like that for a long time. Even when things seemed good and I felt fairly confident that "the other shoe dropping" was just around the corner.

I am not a negative person - not at all - ALTHOUGH - a realist I am - and knowing what we all know about cancer and its surprise returns to people - frightened the crap out of me (a nicer version of what I really felt likehttp://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif).

I am not posting for you to feel as if this "feeling" you have will be with you always BUT to reassure you that it does get better. It even goes away bits and bits each day, week and month that go bye. All of a sudden you start trusting your body a bit more each day. One day you really feel like you really are well. That just maybe it might be over. A new peace settles over you and the lessons learned during cancer kick in and life goes on.

Stand strong Krista. You're doing well. You're handling this like all the rest of us and sometimes those fears we carry have to come out - we have to reach out for the reassurance we need and we here at her2support TOTALLY understand as each of us knows the feeling.

One thing to remember about aches and pains and cancer. Cancer does not get better. Cancer does not come and go. That being said......if you feel unsure you need to mention it to your onc.

Holding you close with love and understanding.

Mary Jo

goops
01-16-2008, 05:13 PM
When I was getting chemo and Herceptin together I blamed chemo for me side effects. I now have noticed that with each Herceptin treatment I ache more. Judging by the comments in the thread - it must be a common side effect.
After this last treatment I also started to worry, but I just had a pet scan and I think that would show if there were bone mets.