PDA

View Full Version : How long to leave port in?

Nora B.
01-13-2008, 07:17 PM
What's the consensus/conventional wisdom on how long to leave a port in? My onc has not been much help (six months ago he said let's leave it in for a year, then at next 3-month check-up he said oh, why do you still have your port?). It's been 9 mos since I finished Herceptin, and I'd like to get it out, but I have that "don't want to jinx it" feeling too... How hard is it to put one in again?

Chelee
01-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Nora, It seems all oncologist have different opinions on when it should be removed. I thought they would want me to leave mine in for another year or more after I finished herceptin but they all pushed me to get it removed right away. Even my second opinion onc. Like you...I was afraid I would jinx things if it was removed. But I must tell you I am SO GLAD I had it taken out. Its been six months of freedom from since I had mine removed & I don't miss it a bit. The ONLY thing I would change is I WISHED I had gotten it removed much sooner then I did. :) I was worried they wouldn't be able to find a vein for labs and such but its been no problem.

Its been 9 months for you...I say if you want it out and your onc is on the same page I say go for it. Having a new one put in is not going to be any harder then the first time. But don't worry because that ISN'T going to happen. Think positive and get that removed. Like they told me...its time to move on. :)

Chelee

Bev
01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
My onc wanted me to get mine out right away. When I asked to delay, to avoid having it out during Christmas Holidays, I felt like she was wondering about me. Around Christmas, I just don't have a day to blow off for surgery. I didn't tell her why I wanted to wait. Yeah, my onc doesn't seem to remember anything either, that's where the nurses come in.

There's no reason to wait really. If you suddenly needed chemo, they could pop a new one in or use IV. Good riddance to that unsightly thing.

There was another thread where others ask to take their port home after removal. If I brought mine home I think I would have put in a bonfire.

Get er done, get it out. Bev

TriciaK
01-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Just thought I would add my different viewpoint on ports. I am probably one of the few who are really happy to still have a port, even though I have not been on chemo or herceptin for some time now. My port has been in for three and a half years, and I hope to leave it in as long as possible. In fact my oncology nurse said it would be good for 5 years at least. It's not that I expect to need it again for chemo, but because of heart failure and cardiomyopathy I use the port for frequent blood tests and used it for my open heart surgery. I just don't have any accessable veins. My port is not that unsightly, and one small stick sure beats the 6 or 8 I used to have to endure while they hunted for a blood vessel that wouldn't collapse. I would probably feel like everyone else and want it out under different circumstances, but as it is, I am grateful for it. I just have it flushed once a month, though even that is usually after having a blood test. Hope getting rid of yours works for you, though! Hugs, Tricia

Cathya
01-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Tricia and ladies;

I, like you, am happy to just keep the port. I am three years since I began chemo but didn't get the port put in right away as I had a cold during chemo. I haven't been on herceptin for quite a while now but my onc has not suggested I get it out and I find it convenient for blood tests. I have been wondering lately about getting it out but was told it would last 10 years or so so it hasn't been at the top of the list of things to do.

Cathy

dhealey
01-14-2008, 05:27 AM
I finished my herceptin tx last week and my onc wants me to leave it in for 12 months. I am ok with that as I am hard to stick. Most times I don't even know it is there.

tousled1
01-14-2008, 06:55 AM
When I finished my year of Herceptin I had my port removed two weeks later. My oncologist siad I could leave it in up to a year but I chose not to. I now have a new port and glad I had the old one taken out. It had started to have some problems when they wanted to get blood so I probably would have had to have it replaced anyway.

nitewind
01-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Something I'm curious about. My onc's office has never used my port for drawing blood. I've seen where a lot of you get your bloodwork done thru your port. I wonder if it's just a preference thing? I finished my Herceptin last month and asked about having the port removed and was told let's wait a couple of monthes. Like I said, it hasn't been used for drawing blood or anything so I wonder why he wants me to keep it. I keep thinking that maybe he knows something that I don't. (I'm paranoid like that)!