PDA

View Full Version : Adema and Herceptin

tdonnelly
01-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi,
Has anyone had problems with Adema while on Herceptin? I will be having my 10th treatment this week (every 3 weeks) and have noticed for several months the swelling in my legs, ankles and feet. I have had 2 Muga Scans; the last one being about 57.5 (Sept. 07). When walking I do get out of breath easily, but scans for lungs were ok also. I dont share my side effects with the dr, I always feel like I am whinning so keep complaints to myself. I have gained quite a lot of weight since beginning Chemo last year so am not sure if its just the weight gain causing the fluid retention or something else. How is Adema treated? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Tamara
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma 11/2006

Jackie07
01-13-2008, 03:52 PM
You MUST tell your doctor about anything out of the ordinary.
We have earned our right to whine. I had swelling on my left
ankle and knee when I first started chemo (TCH[erceptin]) in
July 2007, but the MUGA was OK, so I continued treatment
until the MUGA dropped to 51.

Karen W
01-13-2008, 04:09 PM
I think it is a good idea to check with your doctor.

Karen

Hopeful
01-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Water retention is a side effect of Herceptin for some. Tell your doctor - this can ultimately have an effect on your heart. You will probably get an rx for water pills to relieve the build up.

Hopeful

Mary Anne in TX
01-13-2008, 04:54 PM
It isn't whinning, girl! They need it in your charts for future reference. You don't have to complain about it, just note it for the record. They will let you know if it needs attention. Or....you can tell them it needs attention. As someone said today...you are paying them to help you feel better. I think sometime we take care of the doctor rather than ourselves because we think they won't like us and might not take care of us! Tell them and know it's ok to do so!

caya
01-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Tamara -
I have had 11 out of 17 Herceptin infusions - the edema was worse in the beginning for me - mainly my left leg, ankle and foot. They sent me for an ultrasound on 3 different occasions to make sure it was not a blood clot (it wasn't). My onc. put me on a mild diuretic that I take most days and it has improved immensely.

But as the others have stated - this is not whining - you are on serious medication and these things must be in your records and brought to your onc.'s attention.

all the best
caya

Chelee
01-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Tamara, You really should mention this to your onc so they can note it in your chart. I know what you mean about feeling like its whining but its not. Just tell your onc you've noticed quite a bit of edema lately & you would like their thoughts/opinion on it. Its important that they know about these changes. That being said I really feel its due to herceptin.

My lower legs, ankles and feet were full of edema while I was on herceptin. It stayed that way until about a month after I finished herceptin then it went back to normal. My oncologist didn't pay much attention to my edema but DID note it in my chart. Then I mentioned it to my pulmonary doctor and he DID care and put me on a low dose of "Lasix" (diurectic) (Actually before that he was so concerned about HOW swollen my lower legs and ankles were he sent me straight out of his office to the hospital for a doppler to see if I had blood clots.) Which I didn't...but it pays to check these things out. But I have a feeling it IS the herceptin causing it...but you really should mention it to your onc so you won't worry about it. Hang in there.

Chelee

suzan w
01-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi tdonnely...I just bumped up a thread that I started while I was on Herceptin. It reassured me to know that others were having the same weird symptons that I was having. For me, the swelling was just an unpleasant side effect and did not mean that anything terrible was happening!!! Hope it is the same for you!!!