PDA

View Full Version : Heart problems other than ejection fraction while on herceptin?

Paris
01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm hoping someone will help me with this. I have had 12 herceptin treatments and my LVEF is improving (from 60% to 67%). However, lately I have been dealing with exercises intolerance. I get very short of breath while running and have had a couple of instances of strong heart palpitations while running. I also get very winded carrying things up stairs and experience on and off fatigue. In addition I have some mild edema which is different from the arm lymphedema I have. I saw a cardiologist who is going to do a stress echo and have me wear a holter monitor as well. He didn't have any answers because my symptoms don't show up when resting. I have mitral valve prolapse and have had palpitations previously but they were brought on by stress not physical exertion. My Mom died at age 50 of heart failure with no prior symptoms.

I am concerned because I have been on a consistent albeit easy running program since November and it has been a struggle to increase my endurance. It's like the oxygen can't get to my muscles the way it needs to. I have been active and in great physical shape my entire life. It is very frustrating.

I looked on the Genentech site but couldn't find any side effects listed that were similar to what I am experiencing. Maybe my body is still trying to recover from chemo?

Has anyone had this?

Many thanks!
Jamie

tousled1
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Jamie,

I know that I have shortness of breath and a cough on Herceptin. I'm including a link from a post that was started quite sometime ago about Herceptin side effects. You might find it helpful.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23696&highlight=Herceptin+side+effects

Jean
01-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Paris,
I exercise (not a major runner) and kept active during chemo/herceptin treatments. I found while just on herceptin even though I was walking 3-4 miles every other day, and working out with weights, when
I climbed the stairs I would be short of breath. I found it strange because this did not happen when I was walking briskly. I think it is just a side
effect of the herceptin. I also had the palpitations, along with a dry cough while on herceptin (another side effect of H) The edema I did not
have...

Watch the edema especially if both legs are swollen (hands and fingers)
You may have to adjust your exercise schedule during herceptin. I know I had to. When I completed H - I noticed soon enough the shortness of breath was gone after climbing stairs, now I can run up the staires without loosing my breath. Be patient with yourself - you may have to
slow it down in some areas....remember you just finished chemo/and now
you are rounding the bend with Herceptin.

Remember the old tale of the turtle and hare? Steady does it.

Wishing you the best,
Jean

Paris
01-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Thank you, Kate and Jean for the advice. I am hoping it's "just" the herceptin and not something else. I agree if that's what it turns out to be then I'll just have to be more patient. I am going to at least see things through with the cardiologist to hopefully know for sure what is going on.

I'll keep you posted!

Jamie