PDA

View Full Version : Chime in please! Has herceptin (or tykerb)affected your eyebrows/lashes,fingers/toes/

Lani
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
heels?

heard two fascinating lectures today--one by the man who discovered breast cancer stem cells, Dr. Michael Clarke, the other by a researcher, Howard Chang. who is discovering how the cells in the body know where they are and what they should turn into.

There were disturbing slides of chick embryos whose" skin" from the lower limb buds during development was exchanged with that from the upper limbs and vice versa--with the chicks that developed having scales on their wings and feathers on their legs.

Dr. Chang has found groups of genes which seem to do this and epigenetic ways(by altering the way the chromatin--interweaving of chromosomes--is "read" by blocking the ability of the "reader" to get to the gene by having something sit on it and block it (think of an old casette tape with honey dripped on it intermittently) in which the cells which end up on the back vs front, close to the trunk vs fingertips and toes, etc seem to know what to become.

I remembered in my thread regarding side effects of Herceptin several mentioned that they lost the "outside" arc of their eyebrows and had much thinner, shorter eyelashes as well as cracking of the fingertips, heels and toe problems. I also remember that even those on Tykerb alone (xeloda tends to cause hand-foot syndrome it seems) have developed problems with the tips of their toes and toenails.

The genes he has identified don't seem to control things on the head and/or few people are willing to have a biopsy done voluntarily on their fact, so he remains perplexed about how facial features and hair niceties develop and are maintained.

I would appreciate if all would chime in regarding:

1)were you ever on herceptin alone

2)how long after chemo were you on herceptin

3)was anyone on herceptin without chemo

4)were you also on antihormonals

5) a)did you notice any problems with you eyebrows ?b) eyelashes?c) did they preceed herceptin, d)did they get better/worse on herceptin.e) did they get better after herceptin stopped?

6)a)did you have cracking of your finger tips, heels, toes, ingrown toenails-- b)similarly did they preceed herceptin, c)did they get better/worse on herceptin, d)did they get better after herceptin stopped?

7)Similarly for those on tykerb alone (or on teach and pretty sure they are not getting the placebo because of rash, etc)--are you having eyebrow, eyelash, toe, finger, heel issues and how long has it been since you had chemo (and whether you are on antihormonals as well)

There have been many popular threads here on hair and nail issues and perhaps we could help provide this researcher some direction regarding where to look in his research without his having to put scales on more chicks' wings or feathers or more chicks' legs!

Anybody?

Mary Anne in TX
01-10-2008, 05:39 PM
During all of the chemo I took I had no heel problems. Since being just on herceptin my heels peel off in chunks. My lashes are much shorter and thinner as are my eyebrows. My fingers aren't very peely (is that a word?), but my nails bend. I always had super healthy nails, so this is really different. The nail thing began while on chemo and herceptin. The heel thing must just be a herceptin thing for me.

Mary Jo
01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Well, I was on herceptin with taxol and also on herceptin alone. I started herceptin with taxol. When my 4 dose dense taxol treatments ended on Nov. 30, 2005 I continued with the herceptin, alone, every 3 weeks, until Oct.11, 2006. I was not on any antihormonals as I am hormone receptor negative.

I did not notice any eyebrow, eyelash, hair, cracking skin issues on herceptin. Only some weight gain which dropped off nicely when herceptin was finished. My eyelashes and eyebrows are much thinner since the chemo AND herceptin. But, that started with the chemo so can't really blame on herceptin. I wouldn't say they got worse when on herceptin alone.

So, there are my answers. Next.

Mary Jo

Julie2
01-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Lani,

I don't have any of the symptoms you described while on Herceptin except the runny nose.

Julie

Margerie
01-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Lani-

I was on herceptin alone for 21 months. During that time I experienced thinner eyebrows, eyelashes normal, brittle finger and toenails, cracking fingertips. I have also been on Arimidex for the same time period. I just finished herceptin 4 weeks ago, so hoping things return more to normal. (I must say my chief complaint is insomnia- not sure if Herceptin/Arimidex or both.)

Becky
01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
I started Herceptin 4 months after my last Taxol (4 DD AC then 4 DD Taxol). Started Arimidex 3 months after Herceptin. I did not notice much except a runny nose until after Arimidex was started. Then my finger and toe nails began to thin and split. My toes did not recover as nicely but I began running again and have "runner's toes" BUT I did not get the cracked toenails (where you lose half the nail) and black toenails prior to cancer. However, I still have a bit of neuropathy left in my toes from Taxol and I think I don't feel as much as I should (and have since purchased new running shoes with a wider toe bed). I attributed the thin nails to Arimidex (or perhaps the combo) as my fingernails are still thinner than before cancer but not as thin as on the combo (but I am also almost 4 yrs older now and had ooph to be fully thrown into menopause).

Karen W
01-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi lani,

I started Herceptin two weeks after I completed DD AC & T... three months after the completion of my DD chemo I started Aromasin.

During chemo, I am not too sure what I suffered from because everything seemed wrong. But I can tell you that during Herceptin, I had all kinds of sinus, ear and balance problems. I also suffered from ocular migraines which caused pain and blurred vision. I completed Herceptin in August of '06 and will continue on Aromasin for 3 more years.

The residual problems I am experiencing now (from who knows what) are thin cracked nails, toe nail problems, cracked skin by my fingers, thin eyebrows and short thin eyelashes. Also, my hair (bangs) did not grow in very well. My hair is extremely thin in the front.

Karen

tousled1
01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
I had neoadjunct chemo and after my surgery started Herceptin. It was approximately 2 months after chemo that I started Herceptin. I was on Herceptin only for the year and noticed that my fingernails would crack and peel, I lost a toenail, my finger tips were always cracked no matter how much lotion I used and I was never on hormonals.

hutchibk
01-11-2008, 12:13 AM
I was on Herceptin alone for 14 months post chemo, and I did not have the side effects you are talking about, that I know of. My eyebrows have always been naturally light and almost non-existent, so I wouldn't really know if I lost them ends of them.

I have not been on Tykerb alone, but I have been on Tykerb/Xeloda for the last 8 months. I do have really bad fingernail and toenail issues. My nails are shot, shredded, thin eggshells, on both my fingers and toes. Toenails break easily and are like broken bottles unless I clip or file them every other day or so. My fingernails barely grow at all and break instantly if they get any length on them. It seems that I don't have any classic hand/foot syndrome from the Xeloda. I do have an occasional open crack on my left heel if I don't keep my feet well moisturized.

Jean
01-11-2008, 12:15 AM
After I completed chemo (TC) I experienced neuropathy in toes.
It has improved, but I still some neuropathy.
Did have cracked finger tips and thin nails while on herceptin and Femara for the remaining year. After I completed Herceptin the skin on the heels
of my feet would peel in thick layers. This lasted for a few weeks.
Eyebrows have not fully grown back in the arch area and eyelashes
are thin and short. The hair on my head is much finer.

I remain on Femara.

Jean

R.B.
01-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Omega 3s.

One of my repeated questions is what impact does Herceptin have on the fat pathways?

A trial suggested one of its legs does work through the fats pathways but more than that I do not know. Does Herceptin block or intervene in the body's ability to make DHA from the mother fat?

If it does then the mother omega three would not get converted and DHA and EPA would only be available from food sources, primarily oily fish and fish oil.

Cracked skin is on heel or finder tips, soft nails are signs of fatty acid imbalance according to a book called Smart Fats.

Please discuss dietary change with your doctor.

dhealey
01-11-2008, 05:30 AM
I took taxol with half dose of herceptin for 2 months then herceptin alone, was on arimidex, then aromasin, (stopped these due to bad side effects) now just starting tamoxifen, just ended herceptin this week. During this time my eyelashes have fallen out 4 times ( grow back and then fall out again) My eyebrows are now very thin and the skin around my fingers are cracked and peeling, but I am a nurse and wash my hands alot. Nails are not soft but have horizontal ridges on them. Hoping all this subsides soon as I am only on tamoxifen now.

mts
01-11-2008, 06:37 AM
I started Herceptin after being off of Taxol 3 months. Stayed on the Herceptin 1 yr.
Because I was in "chemopause" I figured that the crackling heels was due to lack of estrogen.... but when that got better when my period returned 2 yrs later.
I also figured the lost little bit of arch in my brows was from the chemo and my new short length of lashes too. I had very thick lashes and brows before chemo and well, now they are skimpy... My nails did crack/split at the tips but that too has gotten better (although not as healthy looking as before cnacer).
I did not take anti-hormonals.

maria

DonnaD
01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I started Herceptin with Taxol in Jan. of 07. All hair was gone on my body, I think from Taxol and Nuelasta. I finished Taxol in March and my hair started growing slowly. I am not on hormones.

I finished Herceptin in Dec, a one year treatment. My eyelashes are very slow to grow and are very thin. My eyebrows are also the same except as you mentioned from the highest part of the arch back they are not there. Nails are paper thin. I did loose one toenail in Jan of 07 but that happened when on A/C.

Let us know what you find out.

Gerri
01-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I started weekly Herceptin with my second dose of Taxol. After Taxol was done I continuted on Herceptin every three weeks until March 07. I am currently taking Tamoxifen.

I lost my eyelashes twice while on Herceptin alone. They are now all back and reasonably thick. My eyebrows are thinner than before with my right one missing the outside arc. My fingers and heels continue to split at times. I have had to have both big toenails surgically removed on the sides because the nail bed was growing into my flesh (ouch!). My other toenails have split, fallen off and are thick and discolored. My Podiatrist just filed them all down and they are doing/looking much better.

Kim in CA
01-11-2008, 11:12 AM
I was on Taxotere and Herceptin for about 8 months, and that's when my fingernail, eyelash, and brow problems began. I have been on Herceptin and Femara alone for almost 6 years, and those problems have not gotten any better. I actually think they are getting worse.

My eyebrows and lashes are very sparse and also very unruly! The hairs in my lashes and brows stick out in every different direction. This makes it very difficult to apply mascara, which is a must as I have no features without it ( I'm a redhead, think Sissy Spacek in Carrie!). Also my nails are paper thin with big ridges on both thumbs and and long lines, that look like they want to split open, on three of the fingers on my left hand.

I was contemplating stopping the Herceptin for awhile to see if it improved things, but have since chickened out after reading a post here, by Becky I think, that one shouldn't stop taking H after having had brain mets.

Luckily my toenails aren't too bad. They are thinner, but because they don't do dishes (thank goodness), or any other chores it's not an issue.

Mgarr
01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I was the opposite during Herceptin - My always dry skin was much better my heels were softer & no problems with fingernails. The only thing I can say is my eyelashes are much thinner than they were prior to treatment. I believe the other answers to your questions are in my profile.

Mar

Becca
01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
While on herceptin, plus other chemos, my nails were always shredding off at the ends--had to keep them trimmed low. Now I am on tykerb with xeloda--still lots of nail problems, like cracking down the nail. Recently discomfort with both heels even though I keep them well lubricated. They feel dry with a pressure or throbbing feeling. It helps me at night to place a small pillow under my ankles to keep my heels off the mattress.

Andrea Barnett Budin
01-11-2008, 04:34 PM
'95-'96 Chemo. Bald. No eyebrows or lashes. All grew back.

Sept '98 - May '99 Taxotere, Bald. No eyebrows or lashes. Nails turned black and lifted off nailbeds w/oozy stuff presenting. EVERYTHING DRY. Eyes, nose -- yet severe and constant tearing and runny nose. Fingertips, heels severely dry and burning. Neuropathy.

Overlap w/Herceptin Nov '98 -- to present. Hair did not grow back as after 1st chemo. Very thin, frail, dry, like fried hair. Receding hairline as in male pattern baldness camouflaged w/ right *do*. Eyebrows did not return. Eyelashes did not return as before -- some came back but most did not, now very sparse, shorter and not equal (meaning right and left upper and lower are not evenly distributed). Still dry eye but not as bad at all. No tearing. Still slightly runny nose. Very slight, especially when eating??!! Nails remain thin and splitting, frail. Cuticles very dry. Heels dry but not burning. One toe nail has a vertical split that grows out and returns. Toenails better than fingernails in genl.
Andi

Diane H
01-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I started a year of herceptin with two months of taxotere, my eyelashes and eyebrows (which used to be exceptionally bushy) are very, very sparse. Am now on Femara, do not know if that contributes to it.

cath52
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I had a year of herceptin after 4 treatments of a/c. Have been off meds since July 07. Haven't really noticed my eyelashes or brows being any different but my finger and toe nails are a mess. Both big toenails are black and fingernails have ridges in them and continue to split and breakoff. Have to keep them filed down. Also my heels are dry and spliting. My hair has come back in with areas of it being real coarse. My nose still runs like sugar water. Sinuses were a mess for a while but I haven't had them bother me lately.

TriciaK
01-16-2008, 06:32 PM
This thread has been interesting and surprising to me---I didn't realize herceptin could cause problems as well as chemo. Since my third BC mets (and first her2) were discovered in 2004, this has been my experience: I only had six months of chemo (navelbine) along with herceptin, and then just herceptin and femara, about 15 months all together until I was taken off herceptin because of a very low ejection fraction. I have been on femara for 3 years now, nothing else for cancer, but am also on several heart meds. My once thick wavy easy-to-manage hair is now thinner, dry, frizzy, breaks easily and is totally unmanageable, although I didn't lose much of it. In fact it is so unmanageable that I just bought a wig for special occasions, because even when I have my hair "done", it won't last overnight! The picture on my posts is about 2 years old now, and that is how my hair used to look! My always long eyelashes got thinner but have grown back fairly well now;however, my left eyebrow never did grow back and the right one is almost non-existant, so I have to draw them on. And I now have extremely brittle fingernails with vertical grooves and ridges. They break constantly no matter how short I keep them. No toenail problems so far. I kind of thought all this was just from getting older, but I see from your posts that I'm not the only one having these problems. I am sure that a lot of the worst side effects, these we've been looking at and others we have mentioned earlier, are also caused and aggravated by lack of estrogen---in my case, 5 years on tamoxifen and 3 years on femara. (And all after menopause!) Destroying all our estrogen may help keep BC at bay, but at what a price of femininity! I know all these things may be somewhat trivial compared to all the other horrors of BC, but I hope someone will give us some ideas of what, if anything, can be done to improve the situation. In the meantime I guess all we can do is keep a sense of humor and share our ups and downs with each other! I learn so much from all of you, and it helps so much to know I am not the only one going through these frustrations! I am so grateful for this website which allows us to "be there" for each other through thick and thin hair and eyebrows! Hugs, Tricia

StephN
01-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Goodness - the chick testing is heartrenching. Hope the researchers have what they need now.

1)were you ever on herceptin alone - YES, almost 6.5 years now

2)how long after chemo were you on herceptin - got Herceptin for mets and stayed on it ever since.

3)was anyone on herceptin without chemo - Began herceptin WITH Taxol and Navelbine for mets, then continued the Herceptin

4)were you also on antihormonals - NO, I am hormone neg/neg

5) a)did you notice any problems with your eyebrows ?b) eyelashes?c) did they preceed herceptin, d)did they get better/worse on herceptin.e) did they get better after herceptin stopped?

Had a lot of chemo and went "manekin" twice. Hair grew back pretty normal on my head, less on my legs and underarms, and lashes and brows are not the same. Lashes are thinner and shorter and left brow is missing back half and they are thinner. Only stopped Herceptin for 3 months last year and nothing changed. Back on indefinitely.

6)a) did you have cracking of your finger tips, heels, toes, ingrown toenails-- b)similarly did they preceed herceptin, c)did they get better/worse on herceptin, d)did they get better after herceptin stopped?

Some cracking of mainly index fingers in the winter or when gardening a lot, heels and toes OK, only have right great toe nail that took forever to grow back and still lifts off its bed. Fingernails are more brittle at times, then grow in OK. These things are all better on Herceptin alone than on chemo or chemo/Herceptin.

Leslie304
12-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Has anyone experienced the facial rash asssociated with Tykerb/Xeloda and if so is there anything that can be done to help clear it? Topical Cream??

Henny
12-15-2010, 04:35 PM
I was on Herceptin alone for 8 months after A/C (2 months) and then T/H (2 months). Hormone negative
I had splitting nails and cracked thumbs near the nail the whole time I was on Herceptin. My eyelashes and eyebrows would all fall out and then grow in again also during that time.
Now that I've been off H for over 2 years I still have very thin eyebrows, tiny eyelashes, split nails and ocassionally split thumbs. Also have a numb tongue (totally strange but doesn't stop me from eating-too bad)

Barbara H.
12-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Herceptin has not been much of an issue for me. I have been on both Herceptin and Tykerb since October 2009. The Tykerb has caused cuts on my finders similar to paper cuts. My nails are thin and break. If I do not moisturize my feet, the heels crack. I had an infected toenail for about 6 months. It is now almost back to normal. My hair has been fine for the most part, but I currently seem to be shedding more than usual. Perhaps it is a seasonal issue. I sure would like some advice to help be deal with the cuts on the fingers. I wear gloves, and moisturize my hands, but I find it very difficult to keep on top of it. I work in a classroom and have to wash my hands more than when I am at home.
Barbara H.

Joanna J
12-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I took Herceptin for a yr. I noticed fingernails flaked off in layers,and had to have one fingernail( ingrown down in the flesh surgically removed on the sides) I have ridges & raised up lines,a couple fingernails look yellowish.fingernails seem thinner now,no hormonals.

rinaina
12-23-2010, 10:29 PM
One year of herceptin following chemo and radiation. Still have problem nails, lashes and brows almost 5 years later.

Mary L
12-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Happy Christmas Eve Day!!! I have been off Herceptin for 3 years this past Oct 2010. My nails have really improved in fact they grow too fast. My eyebrows grew back but are thin. My hair is baby fine and it had been thick and had alot of body. I still have and probably will always have bad neuropathy in hands and feet. But, we are still here!!! We can deal with it. Mary L

Nancy L
12-24-2010, 08:25 AM
1)were you ever on herceptin alone--yes, from Mar 2005-Feb 2009.

2)I have been on herceptin continuously since Dec 2004

3)was anyone on herceptin without chemo(see #1)

4)were you also on antihormonals-no

5) a)did you notice any problems with you eyebrows ?yes--very thin
b) eyelashes?--yes, especially lower lashes on left side where I had BC
c) did they preceed herceptin--I lost my eyebrows and eyelashes during AC
d)did they get better/worse on herceptin---grew back after chemo but not they way they used to be. Plus I am one of the unlucky 1% of Taxotere patients who never got my hair back.
e) did they get better after herceptin stopped? have never been off Herceptin

6)a)did you have cracking of your finger tips, heels, toes, ingrown toenails--yes to all of these. Plus my fingernails split and peel. When I was on Taxotere, all of my fingernails broke off about halfway down and both of my big toenails feel off. They grew back after chemo but have never been the same and have gotten worse on Tykerb.

b)similarly did they preceed herceptin, no
c)did they get better/worse on herceptin, worse
d)did they get better after herceptin stopped? never stopped

7)Similarly for those on tykerb alone (or on teach and pretty sure they are not getting the placebo because of rash, etc)--are you having eyebrow, eyelash, toe, finger, heel issues and how long has it been since you had chemo (and whether you are on antihormonals as well)

No antihormonals. Been on Herceptin/Tykerb combo since 2/2009.

Lani, hope this info helps. If the researcher needs more info or nail samples, I would be happy to provide. Most oncs see these as nuisance side effects, but they do affect our quality of life. It is nice to see someone looking at why this might be happening.

DiDi70
12-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Began Herceptin in conjunction with first Taxotere last February. Hair had already fallen out 3 months prior due to Adriamycin/Cyclophosphamide therapy.

Finished Taxotere in May. Remain on Herceptin every 3 weeks until Feb. 22nd, 2011.

These are the issues/symptoms I have at present:

Hair is growing back very slowly. It is now very fine, like baby hair. Prior to chemo and Herceptin it was very thick and very coarse i.e. each strand was very thick and strong. It used to grow very, very quickly.

Hair at my "widow's peak" or bang area is the slowest to grow and is still very sparse and very fine.

My eyebrows are growing back in the original shape, but are thinner. They thin further in the week following each Herceptin treatment, grow in a bit in week 2 and 3 after treatment and then thin out again with next treatment.

My eyelashes are finer and sparser than prior to treatment.

My finger tips are dry and wrinkled looking. One fingertip split open in the cold air the other day. This has never happened to me before and didn't happen last winter while on Adriamycin and Cyclophosphamide.

My heels are very dry and develop several layers of dry skin over a period of a few days if I don't keep up with the heel file and thick moisturizer.

My eyes are dry - I wake up with the sensation that my eyelids are stuck to my eyeballs. I use drops each day and night to help with this.

My nose drips a lot, but also, in the week post-Herceptin treatment, my nostril near the tip of my nose splits. It actually looks like I have a cut at the tip of my nose. This has happened every single time I have had a Herceptin infusion and I just had Herceptin # 15 on Tuesday. Nostril has split.

My fingernails are very soft, pliable for the most part, but break off with any kind of slight impact. I keep my nails very short and wear rubber gloves when doing housework. Nails were super-stong prior to treatment. My toenails are fine.

Here's what may seem to be a very odd side-effect, one that my Physiotherapist and I note in the week post-Herceptin infusion: My affected arm (mastectomy and 30 nodes removed) becomes very, very stiff and I develop adhesions which are actually painful. My Physiotherapist works on stretching out my arm and improvement is gained, then I have Herceptin and we are back at square one again. Very odd and very frustrating.

Weight gain. Could be from menopause.

Gums: Seeing some gum receding since May despite good oral hygiene and dental care.

Joints: All very stiff, especially in the morning. Some pain. Notice that my knuckles "crack"easily as does my wrists, knees and ankles. Can actually hear my knees crackle and pop when going up stairs.

Hoping that all of these issues resolve when Herceptin is finished.

Mary L
12-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Didi, I read your post and I had to respond. I was on Herceptin for almost 5 years. I had the dry, red eyes, brittle nails, neuropathy in feet and hands [feet worse]. my hair is now baby fine and I can't do anything with it. It was thick and had alot of body. I am trying to get ready to go to 2 Christmas Eve parties and my hair is a mess. I am just about ready to start wearing a wig. Now that makes me mad!!! I am 3 years off of Herceptin and the side effects I still have are, my hair, my neuropathy, my face turning red on and off during the day,[I have no idea why but it happens] and I have a severe problem with chemo fog. Chemo is made of all kinds of chemicals and we have to except the fact that there will be side effects. I wouldn't be here today 7 years after being diagnosed with IBC stage IIIB. I am happy to be here to celebrate Christmas and I will deal with the side effects I have. Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas. Mary L

sarah
12-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Hello Lani, and a thought for R.B. also:
1)were you ever on herceptin alone - Yes for 5 1/2 years

2)how long after chemo were you on herceptin - Had Taxol and Herceptin for 6 months then Herceptin alone - with Femara for 5 1/2 years

3)was anyone on herceptin without chemo - Only after having Taxol with herceptin first see answer 1&2

4)were you also on antihormonals - Yes I took AIs, Femara for the same time I had Herceptin alone -- 5 1/2 years

5) a)did you notice any problems with your eyebrows ?b) eyelashes?c) did they preceed herceptin, d)did they get better/worse on herceptin.e) did they get better after herceptin stopped?

Ok - lost head hair, legs, etc during Taxol/Herceptin. after stopped Taxol, head hair grew back thicker but still hardly any hair anywhere else, except some eye lashes but basically very thin or no eyebrows on side.
During chemo, heavy skin problems, toenails loose and discolored, extremely dry skin, skin rashes, cataracts started (but I'm old so....), broken fingernails, fatigue
on Herceptin and Femara: still no hair or little, brittle nails particularly on hands, extremely dry skin, itchy rashes.

6) Off Herceptin and Femara for 4 months, no changes - same problems

Note for Lani: I stopped all supplements during chemo but started them after I stopped chemo.
Among the supplements I take are Tumeric/Curcurmin and Omega 3 - recently a friend who takes these (has Her2 bc) developed an itchy bruise like patch on her arm, her GP, who's an internist said it was due to these supplements and I happened to have dinner with him recently and he re-confirmed that these supplements can cause rashes - often itchy pinprick size spots which is exactly what I have. I thought it was a sun allergy or to plants in my garden and cover up totally outside but - it's now cold here and my arms are rarely exposed and it still persists.

Hope that covers all of your questions.

Thank you Lani for keeping us so informed and researching these things and understanding them!
health and happiness
love sarah

MJo
12-28-2010, 02:39 PM
It's been 5 years, but as I remember

1)were you ever on herceptin alone - After chemo and radiation ended, I was on Herceptin alone for for about three months.

2)how long after chemo were you on herceptin - I think I got Herceptin and Taxol at the same time

3)was anyone on herceptin without chemo - No. I had chemo

4)were you also on antihormonals - Yes. Started on Arimidex during radiation

Lost the hair on my head with A/C. Then, with Taxol, my face and the rest of my body went bald. For me, losing eyebrows and lashes was worse than losing my head hair. My hair grew back quickly after Taxol ended, even while I was geting Herceptin.

My fingernails turned black.

6. Switched to Femara after two years on Arimidex. Fortunately I have a thick head of hair, because I definitely think that it falls out a lot more than in the past and I think it's the Aromatase Inhibitors.

fauxgypsy
01-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Peeling nails on hands and feet. Heels cracked. I had about a year of Herceptin (after 6 mos. of Taxol and Carboplatin, along with Herceptin) and during that time I was on Tamoxifen, was switched to Femara, then to Arimidex (side effects were the reason for the changes). My eyelashes and eyebrows are not as thhick as they were but I thought it might be getting older.

1rarebird
01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
I can attest that some of the side effects being reported on this thread occur in males too. My TCH regimen left me with fragile nails (they are now ridged and split at just the slightest provocation), and my hair came back in at only about half its pre-chemo and Herceptin density and thickness . The soles of my feet are still are numb and tingle and my bones were weakened as well. I won't get specific about what the Tamoxifen has done to me; suffice to say it has seriously affected quality of life.

But despite all of this, I am thankful that my Her2 positive breast cancer was and is being treated in 2009, 2010 and 2011. It wasn't all that long ago that the treatments available were so much less effective than what we have today--side effects not withstanding.

bird

chicagoetc
01-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Only to add...Herceptin left me with thin/vulnerable fingernails that seems to crack at any insult and really don't grow back where this happens. My hair is many times thinner and, something I think, keep getting thinner. I have toenail problems which seem to be trying resolve themselves but suspect these are from Taxol.

On the positive side: I am glad to have treatment and be functioning as well as I am.

Melanie

Mel3
01-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I am currently receiving daily radiation and Herceptin every three weeks. My fingers are dry and cracked, nails are brittle. My hair is slowly growing in but not enough to comment about. My nose drips when I get tired or stressed, so then I take a break for a few minutes to recover. I've had a few sinus headaches and my right ear makes a strange sound that's like a stretched rubber band that has been touched, if that makes any sense. I can live with this and am thankful for Herceptin.

Emelie B
01-16-2011, 04:02 PM
This is my second time on Herceptin and I have now been on it for 11 mos. The first time was with Taxotere and this most recent time was with Taxol. After my first round with Herceptin, all my eyebrows grew back, my lashes came back, my nails finally got strong and I did not have any problems with my toenails.

This time round I have gotten my hair back slowly ,and it is as thick as ever, just more coarse. A lot more gray hair.
My eyelashes keep falling out and my eyebrow on the right side is non-existent in the middle of the brow. Thank God for brow pencil.
My fingers crack all the time.
My nails split badly so I keep them trimmed as short as possible.
My toenails peel in the middle of the nail and come off.
I also have more fatigue than last time, but then again, I am 55 now so that could be the reason.
Hope this helps,
Emelie

Laurel
01-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Eyelashes were thin and continuously falling out while on H. I could not grow my nails to save my soul while on it. After a few months post Vit H everything returned to normal.

candlegranny
01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
i started herceptin with taxetere every 2 weeks for 4 doses then continued on herceptin every 3 weeks. Will continue herceptin until June 2011. I lost my finger nails and toe nails. come completely off of nail bed. I lost my eyelashes and what ever hair was remaiing on my body but contribute this to taxetere cause it has all grown back since stopped that and continuted on hercpetin. I have tingling and numbness in my fingers and my feet feel like I am walking on marbles on the balls. I am not sure if it is from herceptin but it does continue. I do not take hormones. I had a hysterectomy at 32 yrs old so I am not doing any of the 'menapause' things. I am having difficulty with Mugga scan. will get another scan in 4 weeks to check out the heart. Oncololgist said I need herceptin for this cancer and may have to see a cardiologist for attention to my heart so i can get my full year of herceptin in. I dont feel any different. the heart thing does not effect my every day activities so far.

Unregistered
01-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Cardio exercise like brisk walking or recumbent bike at least 3 times a week helped bring my injection fraction up.