PDA

View Full Version : Pulmonary Embolism

tousled1
01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Had my CT (brain/chest/abdomen) today at 7 am. Got a call from the oncologist's office at about 2 pm. It was the nurse telling me that the scan showed a pulmonary embolism. I had to go into the office and received a shot of Arixtra (blood thinner). I'm scheduled to get Herceptin tomorrow and see the nurse practioner so I should have more info tomorrow. I don't see the oncologist until next Thursday. I don't have any other results about the scan regarding the satus of lung mets but guess we have to deal with one problem at a time. Keep me in your prayers.

dhealey
01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Kate, Bummer that you have to deal with this. Up side though they caught it before it could do some real damage. I will keep you in my prayers. Keep your chin up things will get better.

hutchibk
01-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Love, blessings and prayers, Kate. God's speed to you. I am fighting an upper respiratory virus myself and laryngitis for the past two days. Yuck. But nothing like what you are in the middle of...

PinkGirl
01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Sorry Kate - you sure didn't need this.

I will be thinking about you and hoping for
nothing but good stuff ... good vibes from me to
you!

suzan w
01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
So sorry to hear about this...put on your boxing gloves and go get 'em!!!

nitewind
01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry to hear this, Kate. Keeping you in my prayers.
Hugs

kareneg
01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
I am sorry to hear this too you are in my prayers also my friend.

sassy
01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Drat Kate! Sorry you are having to deal with this.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Soccermom
01-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Me too, Kate...keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
marcia

caya
01-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Kate -

So sorry you have to deal with this - Sending prayers from Canada, wishing you a speedy recovery.

all the best
caya

AlaskaAngel
01-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Kate, while it isn't fun to have an embolism I am grateful that you happened to be having the imaging and caught it like you did. Hugs to you in keeping one foot in front of the other.

A.A.

Lolly
01-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Kate, you're so right about dealing with one thing at a time; it's the only way to stay sane...I tell myself to just keep putting one foot in front of the other(I see A.A. and I have the same philosophy!).
Sending good thoughts out to you :)

<3Lolly

hermiracles
01-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Hope the embolism can clear up Kate and all goes well for your treatment tomorrow. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Blessings
Hermiracles

StephN
01-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Dear Kate -
Not the way to begin the year! Wonder where this clot came from? You did have a clot from your port catheter. Any connection? I am curious how they will follow up.
Will you have monitoring by more scans?

Hope that drug is the heavy hitter clot buster and will clean it up.

Chelee
01-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Kate, I am so sorry you have to deal with this on top of everything else. I was told when going through chemo that one thing they have to watch for was blood clots that are *sometimes* due to trt? Not sure if that's true, but I was told that once.

One thing I am glad about...is that you were due for a CT scan this morning because you caught this in time. Major plus. Here's to you getting good news that your lung mets are gone! When you have a chance please update us...until then I will be keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.

Chelee

Mary Jo
01-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Sending hugs and prayers for continued healing your way Kate.

Love,

Mary Jo

lilyecuadorian
01-10-2008, 08:10 AM
sorry to hear this ,keeping you in my thoughts and prayers ...hopelly everything is going to be OK one at the time

Julie2
01-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Kate,

Sorry to hear the news. Wish the bloodthinner will take care of it and the scans will be all clear. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care,
Julie

Emelie
01-10-2008, 10:08 AM
One thing at a time is sure our motto, isn't it. Hope all clears up quickly and you get back on track pronto.
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,
Emelie

Mary Anne in TX
01-10-2008, 10:18 AM
No! This isn't right, Kate! You've done your share of goofy stuff, you don't need this. But, Kate, they found it. They can fix it. You've certainly proved that you are tough and can fight! I'm so very sorry that you heard those words and must deal with one more thing. But I belive in your ability to rise above one more thing too. I'm praying for you and will be anxious to hear the next news. How do these bodies even come up with all this? Seems like more than 9 innings in this ol game of BC, uh? I'm sending good thoughts and prayers. Much love, ma

Believe51
01-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I am praying for you to continue to remain strong to keep fighting all these big bumps in the road. So here is to the blood thinners that will do the trick and then off to the next issue. Ed and I are sorry to hear this news, just one thing after another for you Kate!! Ughh!! We are both keeping you in our prayers and of course positive thoughts....today and always.

Go get 'em girl>>Believe51

tricia keegan
01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Kate sending all my good wishes to you, thank goodness it was found when it was. Hang in there girl!

jones7676
01-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Oh Kate, I'm so sorry you have another problem to deal with. I hope they can clear this up and you can move on. Thank goodness they found it and hopefully they can fix it for you! I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

Andrea Barnett Budin
01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Okay. Dear Kate, You keep coming up w/these things. Pulmonary embolism sounds very painful and scary. Glad they found it and you are already getting blood thinners to treat it! Thank goodness! You do have an angel on your shoulder. Just feels like a black cloud. Damn annoying though. Did you have chest pain, shortness of breath? I did not know of the drug you got, only Heparin and Warfarin. Know you are in good hands, w/docs on top of your case! Wow. I am sorry you have to deal w/this, yet grateful it was found before it did damage! My thoughts and prayers are with you, as always, my sweet special Sister... Sending more loving, healing energy -- till you are well!!! Can you feel it? I am including HUGS!
Andi

Donna
01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Keep your chin up and get that embolism blasted outta there!

Praying for you!

Donna

lexigirl
01-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Dear Kate,

I am sorry that you are dealing with another set back. Enough already! I am happy that they found it before something more critical happened.

Hugs,
Lexi

Sheila
01-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Oh Kate
I am so sorry that you are going through even more....you do have an angel on your shoulder that this was found and is being treated quickly as they can be dangerous...it may have developed while you had pneumonia and were lying around more than usual....get the Dr to order you a pair of TED hose or compression stockings so when you aren;t as mobile, you are still protected.
Sending you love, hugs and many prayers dear friend...get well!

madubois63
01-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I have to agree with Sheila - you have an angel on your shoulder. I am so glad this was found and treated before it became really serious!! I do know how much it stinks to be told something else is wrong!! God bless you!!!

tousled1
01-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I went for my Herceptin treatment today and saw the nurse practioner. In my opnion she's about as much help as a fifth wheel on a wagon. Can't answer any questions you pose, etc. I got another shot of Arixtra today and will continue to do so for a week to 10 days and then it's on to coumidin. I do have another scan scheduled for tomorrow to specificially look at the embolism. I tried to get the complete results of my scan from the NP but she would not give them to me. I see my pulmonary doctor on Monday so hopefully he'll be able to give me more information. I'm soooo mad that I didn't see my oncologist today. I will see her next Thursday and I will have my list of questions.

I did have a clot way back when I had my first port inserted and that was treated with Lovenox shots and then coumidin until 10 days before my surgery. I haven't had any problems since until now.

I did fly to PA over the Christmas holiday and am wondering if that may have contributed to the embolism. But I guess it doesn't do any good to think what if, etc. I just have to accept this is what is and go on from here.

I'm just hoping that when I see the oncologist next Thursday I will get the full report of my scans - brain, chest, abdomen. I want to know if the lung mets have grown, are stable or somehow disappeared. For now we will just get our dialy shots and work on my list of questions for the oncologist next week.

Thank you all for your concern and prayers. Thisis like taking one step forward and two steps back. But, not to worry soon we'll be taking two steps forward and none back.

caya
01-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Kate,

Thanks for posting this update, I was thinking about you today and wondering if there was any news.

Yes it stinks that you did not get more information, but I sure your pulmonary doc will be able to give you all the info about your embolism.

I am praying for clean scans for you and doing the happy dance with NED.

all the best
caya

Bill
01-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi Kate! Sorry to hear about the embolism, but I know those blood-thinners will work! I love your positive attitude even in the face of all these obstacles. I'm praying your scans are all clear and I want you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers. Love to you, Bill

lilyecuadorian
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Kate I can't go to the bed with out let you know that you are in my prayers and I know you will win this one again ...one by one

Andrea Barnett Budin
01-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Kate, my touseled friend --- what about the Patients Bill of Rights? You are entitled to all your reports upon request.

I get Ct scans reports mailed to me and received in 2 days. Other offices will fax them right to me, in minutes. They are your reports. You have every right to them.

I have had a string of NP that are useless, a great source of misinformation, lacking compassion, and plain rude. I had 1 other such person in an outpatient surg clinic but not a one since '95. Now I'm embroiled in a string of one after another. Useless, snippy, cavalier (like we're discussin my tires...). They may be efficient, from the doc's point of view, but they lack humanity from mine.

You should be able to get your hands on the info you want tmrrw! I am alw nice, ladylike, but firm. No need to be rude, or demanding or threatening. But I want what I want (and am entitled to) when I want it, thank you very much... I'm a 12 yr professional patient. Don't mess with me little girl...

Andi

Jean
01-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Kate,
Sending you healing energy...
I will never accept how any dr. could make a patient wait an entire week
for scan results!!!!! How cruel...Dr. know waiting for scan results is stressful...what are they thinking?

That is why when the Dr. is not available your NP should have given you the report! I am angry for you.

Jean

Patrice
01-11-2008, 04:49 PM
This stinks, Kate! You are such an inspiration to me and all of us. You're in my prayers, always.
Patrice