PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D/Vitamin D3 Same Thing?

Barbara2
01-09-2008, 03:51 PM
It is my understanding that they are the same thing. Not too long ago I asked my family physician if Vitamin D and D3 were the same thing. He thought for a moment, then concluded that yes, they were the same thing.

Today I stopped at the pharmacy to get a bottle of Vitamin D or D3, I wasn't sure what I would find. (Its a small pharmacy.) Vitamin D was the only choice available, so I asked a pharmacist if that was the same thing as Vitamin D3. She thought for a minute and wasn't sure, so went back to her computer to see what it said. She found that they are the same thing. Under "Supplement Facts" on the bottle, it said "Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol)." She explained that cholecalciferol was Vitamin D3.

I recently had my Vit D level checked and was surprised to see how low it was. (My total was 37 in a range of 25-80) I expected it to be much higher as I take 1600IUs of vitamin D daily that are included in the calcium and multiple vitamin. Looks like I need to take more.

Becky
01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
There are 2 forms of vitamin D. They are D2 (ergocalciferol) and D3 (cholecalciferol).. D2 is a synthetic form and D3 is a natural form (and this is also the form the skin produces when exposed to light). Since D3 is the form the body makes, it has to go through fewer gyrations to make the next intermediate in the liver. However, both D2 and D3 get transformed in the liver to this same intermediate. However, sometimes the D2 route is not as efficient as the D3 route. After that, this intermediate gets transformed once again (this time in the kidney) to the hormone we finally use. As we age, the liver and kidney aren’t as efficient at the job. It is always better to use D3 as it is easier for the body to use but D2 works too.

lilyecuadorian
01-09-2008, 09:12 PM
thanks Becky ...I didnt know also ...is good to know tomorrow I will go to wallgreen and check on vitamin D3