PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who May Be Interested....

Mary Jo
01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
For those of you who may be interested in the type of reconstruction I am considering - or possibly would want to consider for yourselves I am sharing the link for you to go too....

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002690.html

I am very anxious to meet with these 2 doctors and am very encouraged by what I read.

Hugs to you,

Mary Jo

Margerie
01-07-2008, 09:11 PM
marejo,

I am so glad you have a microsurgeon near you that performs DIEP. As you know, I am happy with my DIEP reconstruction. As a side note, I have a bc friend here that had her saline implants fail repeatedly (leaks)- so she started over and had DIEP and is very happy also. I don't know how far your surgeon is away from you, mine was a 4 hour drive. It was some coordinating- but can be done!!

Liked your doc's website. Here is my surgeon's:

http://www.microsurgery.net/index.html

If you click on "more information" you will see an excerpt from the informational book he is writing about microsurgical breast reconstruction.

madubois63
01-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I had the tram flap reconstruction immediately following the mastectomy. It was a very painful recuperation (thank God for morphine), but the doc did an amazing job. I am thrilled with the the breast and the tummy tuck, but I did experience the hernia not once but twice. The hernia was repaired once, and within a years time, it herniated again. I was scheduled for repair surgery when a relapse was discovered, so I never got it fixed. I am so jealous you have the opportunity to have experts in the field perform your surgery!!! Good luck!!!!

Mary Jo
01-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Hi Margerie,

The surgery will take place (if I have it done) 1 hour and 10 minutes from our house. In Milwaukee at Froedtert and The Medical College of Wisconsin. The good news is that this is the place I had both mastectomy's and also is where my oncologist is located and all other treatment was done. So, I must say, I feel quite at home their - kind of sad huh? http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif No, seriously, I do and that is a plus in itself.

Mary Jo

sarah
01-08-2008, 06:48 AM
I had a mastectomy/reconstruction all in one - 8 hour operation. They took the fat from the abdomen (the dr said afterwards he thought I had more fat there than I did) It looked and felt great but I have to say when I woke up, I was in such pain I said "oh my God, what have I done!" the morphine drip which is right there by your bed side to push on barely helps the pain. I was very grateful for my friends who brought me books on tape, a scented pillow and stuffed animal. I had access to a DVD and TV but couldn't watch anything. I can't say I would recommend it but all the women I spoke to before having it were happy and didn't seem to suffer the pain I did or had forgotten it.
It's probably advanced a lot since 1999 and hopefully they'll give you more pain relief.
The result was very good. Unfortunately I've had recurrence in that same breast so I've had a lot of surgery there since and it doesn't look as even with the other breast as it did after the initial op.
At the time, I wanted to have both breasts off but the oncologist and surgeons went crazy about that idea. I just wanted to be even on both sides and thought that would be the best and safest solution.
Whatever you choose, remember the pain will go away and go into hospital with books on tape and soothing music and a nice scented pillow and stuffed animal.
Also I needed 6 days in the hospital - insurance can push you out after 4 so you might want to check on that also in case you need the extra days.
all the best
hugs and love
sarah

Mary Jo
01-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Thank you Sarah for your input on this. Yes, I've heard that the pain from reconstruction is not pretty. (just a nice way of say damn, it hurts) but as you said, yes, much has changed since 1999. I included the link to the DIEP surgery I am considering and actually much has changed. One of the major changes is that they use to take muscle from your abdomin and now they do not use the muscle only the fat. Which, as the article states, does cut down on the pain and recovery from this type of procedure. The surgery is done by microsurgeons and it just so happens that Dr. Hijjawi and his partner are 2 of fewer than 40 surgeons who specilize in this type of surgery right at the hospital I have had all my cancer care at. I've been praying for a sense of leading from God as to what I should do in this matter - is it right for me - am I in good hands etc. I'm trusting Him to lead me to the right answers. So far, I'm feeling that things are looking good - falling into place as it were - just as things have for the past 2 1/2 years.http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif Of course, time will tell what will be, and for now I will research my options - consult with the doctors and take it from their.

Again, thanks for your input all of you - margerie, madubois and sarah

Mary Jo

SoCalGal
01-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I've had bilateral mastect. w/recon using TFL (free flap) and also using dorsi. W/father of neurosurgery at UCLA in '02.
Have lots of input if you'd like to contact me. (can't really type much - am having neck situation.)
-Flori

harrie
01-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Marejo, I had a bilat mastectomy at the time of my DIEP flap reconstruction Nov, 2006. After that I had the TCH and then Sept 2007 I had the final (second) stage of the DIEP which included small silicone implants.
If I can be of any help with my experience, please email and let me know.
Maryanne (Harrie)

Believe51
01-09-2008, 06:26 AM
I shall certainly send prayers and positive thoughts your way. May you find peace in the next step and that all goes well. Keeping you on our minds>>Believe51