PDA

View Full Version : Consultation appointment

Mary Jo
01-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Well after talking with my cancer surgeon and the Nurse Practitioner who heads the Breast Care Clinic I have made an appointment with a Dr. John Hajjiwa at MCW (Medical College of Wisconsin). Both my surgeon and Julie (the nurse) say not only is he "WELL qualified" -" an awesome plastic surgeon who is wanting to devote his entire practice to breast reconstruction" but them knowing me as they do say "he'd be a perfect match for me." They said "he's like talking to your brother and that he is a good person." Of course I want him to me top notch BUT being a "good person" ranks high in my books and even though he would be considered a good choice for reconstructive surgery not also being a "good person" would disqualify him in my books. So.......................we'll see. I've read up about him also and I'm impressed. Oh ya one more thing my surgeon's nurse has shared with me (which I found important and also why he may be so good at what he does) - his mother had breast cancer - so it's personal to him as well.

So, January 21st at 2:00 p.m. we will meet with him for the initial consultation and we'll see what happens. Either way I would not have the surgery until June because I am off all summer and that would be the best time.

So, keep it in prayer for me if you would. I'd appreciate that.

Mary Jo

Brenda_D
01-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Have you decided what kind of reconstruction you'll have yet?

WomanofSteel
01-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Well I wish you much luck. It sounds like you may have found someone who is an awesome surgeon. It is great to have a doctor that you can talk to and feel comfy with. I am rooting that all goes well.

Mary Jo
01-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Brenda,

No, I haven't decided. For that matter, I don't have a clue. I mean I know of the different options and the one I am sure I will have is the one where the remove fat from the abdomin and make breastshttp://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif - so much for my medical lingo. Of course the consult will answer these questions and I will walk away from this appointment with way more knowledge than I presently have.

How much "fat" do you need in your abdomin? I don't know. I think I'd have enough to make 2 little boobies, but again, I don't know.

So, January 21st here I come. Time will tell. God already knows so I take comfort in that.

Mary Jo

Cathya
01-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Mary Jo;

As I had a lumpectomy I have not had reconstuction but my friend did this past summer. She had the one where you get a tummy tuck and they move the fat up to the breasts. She went to a very well known and respected plastic surgeon who specializes in this and the breasts look very good apparently....I haven't seen them. The only unexpected disappointment she has is some trouble with lympodema ever since. Apparently this can happen as they are operating in that area. She did not have this before and is not sure she would have proceeded had she known. I am only passing this along as I was very surprised as I have never heard it mentioned as a possible problem before.

Cathy

Becky
01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
As always, get a second opinion on what another plastic surgeon thinks is right for you and why. This is very, very major surgery and you are counting on a great cosmetic outcome.

Margerie
01-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I am glad to hear you are on the road to getting opinions/options for reconstruction. I second the second opinion. I actually consulted three docs. Hated the first guy, second doc was ok (I thought much better than the first), but the third surgeon was just a gem. He was the only one (IMO) that had compassion for us bc survivors. Anyway, I think I would have had the same basic results with any of them, but it certainly was a more pleasant experience with the surgeon I picked. I hope your surgeon has the personality and "good person" charm to go with skill. Good luck with your consult. And write down any questions you may have because it is easy to forget them!! It is also nice if the surgeon gives you some names of his/her patients that have had the same procedure so you can ask them first hand how the surgery went.

And about the amount of tissue- I pinched my inches beforehand and was sure I was going to have B cups- but I ended up with C's, which is what I wanted! They will probably be able to guesstimate what size they can achieve.